www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 16-09-18, 07:59   #41
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Its like Lara's weapons showing on her model (another thing really ahead of it's time) its a cool little detail that helps immersion, I was amazed when I saw Lara take out the Desert Eagle in TR3 and the game remembered the MP5 slung across my back, my Uzi in my left holster and the Desert Eagle in the right.

Its pretty cool, somehow the Reboot can't manage this detail and no other ps1 game to my knowledge has it.
This is one case in which the archaic techniques used to create Lara's model in the classics work to its advantage.

Lara's guns don't technically exist as their own entities in the early games, they're just swapped bodyparts with unique meshes, commands, and a couple of animations. As such, they only swap a mesh (left thigh, right thigh, chest) when the engine calls for it during holstering/equipping.

So when you put your MP5 away, it swaps Lara's chest mesh with one that has the MP5 attached to it, and will only get rid of that when it is told to swap the chest mesh with a different one (either changing to another weapon on her back, or drawing the gun), so using handguns that affect her thigh meshes only would have no impact on the MP5 on her back.

Same thing with the desert eagle. There is a left thigh swap, and a right thigh swap. Holstering the desert eagle only changes the right thigh, so whatever state the left one was in remains unchanged be it empty, or with a different gun in it. The game doesn't really remember that the pistol is still in the left thigh holster, it just hasn't had a command to update it.

Nowadays weapons are programmed as individual entities, that swap in and out of existence as needed. In order to achieve the same effect, developers have to add more code in to tell the game that gun A doesn't conflict with gun B, but gun C does so gun A must despawn for gun C but not gun B. It's a lot more work. You can actually see how glitchy it is in Tomb Raider Anniversary as when the level loads all the guns are spawned in the holsters, and only correct themselves when you switch weapon.

Basically, when the classics were being made it was more work to have the empty holster spawn in when you drew the desert eagle, than leave it in whatever state it was before. Now the reverse is true.

Last edited by Boobandie; 16-09-18 at 08:00.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 20:09   #42
Edming
Hobbyist

Yeah her braid physics for the time are just amazing tbh! Great work they used to do...
Old 18-10-18, 00:51   #43
Horus-Goddess
Professor

I always loved her braid animation for sure! I'm quite impressed with the "tress FX" mesh that people came up with for TRLE. I still haven't quite figured out how they did that.

But yeah, for its time her braid was great. To me it's still the best simulation when compared with even the more modern LAU series in some respects. Underworld I always thought was especially atrocious. I think making her hair a braid made it look more elegant to begin with though. Up until Tress FX in 2013, at least. Now they're sort of dedicated to showing off that tech, so I doubt they'll go back to a braid again any time soon (sadly).
Old 18-10-18, 03:37   #44
Kapu
Professor

For anyone curious, here's a video of the "tress fx" style hair that Horus-Goddess mentioned above:

This is the same classic braid from TR2 onward - same algorithm/physics, just using a special technique to give the appearance of individual moving strands. I think it's a combo of special meshes and weird remapping, or something?? Really cool stuff! (Also, the outfit there is your work, right Horus? Also cool stuff!)
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 07:25   #45
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

^
That video looks amazing! I mean, I'm still a braid fanboy, but it's crazy how well TR4's braid algorithm can handle the ponytail!
Old 18-10-18, 09:37   #46
Dustie
Relic Hunter

^ same here, the ponytail is one of my biggest issues with the new games, but I'm impressed with the dedication to getting close having one in TRLE.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-18, 12:38   #47
Edming
Hobbyist

That's amazing! Was that used anywhere tho?