www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 17-12-11, 19:28   #11
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Thanks- to be honest, I'm still ambivalent about this level. I was scratching my head for a while over the rating, because I could think of a justification for just about any score (barring 1/5). I don't know what it is about TGW in particular that makes it so hard for me to wrap my brain around it.

I think maybe the problem is that my standard of reference for this sort of thing is TR3's Jungle, which I think feels like an opening level despite the even higher degree of difficulty. So I know a tough level can still feel warm and inviting, so the fact that TGW leaves me kind of cold makes it hard for me to rate it too highly.
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-11, 19:33   #12
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
I think maybe the problem is that my standard of reference for this sort of thing is TR3's Jungle, which I think feels like an opening level despite the even higher degree of difficulty. So I know a tough level can still feel warm and inviting, so the fact that TGW leaves me kind of cold makes it hard for me to rate it too highly.
Very nice point you make. My problem with Jungle is more that it throws you into the pen almost 5 seconds into the game! I mean, with TGW, we atleast get a build-up for about half of the level and then get it tossed at us near the end... with Jungle, the designers shove the difficulty level down our throat the moment we step forward.

Although it's really nothing compared to Temple Ruins...

By the way, do you plan on doing TR2 Gold since you're playing on PC? I'd really love to see your interpretation of that.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-11, 19:42   #13
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
Very nice point you make. My problem with Jungle is more that it throws you into the pen almost 5 seconds into the game! I mean, with TGW, we atleast get a build-up for about half of the level and then get it tossed at us near the end... with Jungle, the designers shove the difficulty level down our throat the moment we step forward.
This is very true; I realize my love for that level borders on the irrational. I just love the atmosphere.

Quote:
By the way, do you plan on doing TR2 Gold since you're playing on PC? I'd really love to see your interpretation of that.
Not sure yet; I want to, but if I do TR2 Gold without having done the original TRGold first, the OCD part of my brain will go ballistic. I guess I'll have to see when I get there.
Old 04-06-18, 21:12   #14
Karen_Leslie
Historian

*blows off dust*

http://otakusphere.com/2018/06/04/to...evel-2-venice/

Yeah, so, doing this again. I also updated the thread in the TR forum because that's where people were talking about these blog posts, but from now on I'll post any future updates here. Well, unless I actually manage to get up to TRIII, then I'll move there, but you get the idea.
Old 05-06-18, 18:40   #15
thewolf
Historian

Why are there no other people in this level?

I think I can explain this:

When you start the level you see Lara falling down from the top of the fence. On the wall right next to the fence is the Fiamma Nera symbol.
This whole area seems to be restricted. It is like a giant base or hometown for them. No one else will enter this place , maybe the people fear the cult/Mafia. The only ones living there are members.

This would be a realistic theory

In Angel of Darkness no one gets even close to the Strahov Fortress. Everyone fears the mafia. The press and locals keep their distance....
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-18, 15:33   #16
Karen_Leslie
Historian

I buy that explanation for Bartoli's Hideout and Opera House, but for some reason it doesn't quite work for me in Venice. It seems like too big an area for the cult to have taken over.

Nit-picking, I know.

Probably going to pick up TRII for Steam, because as much as like playing on my Vita in bed, not being able to take screenshots is just bugging me. I hope we can find our Steam controller....
Old 07-06-18, 18:30   #17
Pyro99
Archaeologist

If I ignore the shade towards Legend Lara, I can say this was rather enjoyable
Old 08-06-18, 01:53   #18
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Yeah I think I've been too bogged down in my "Classic Lara 4EVAH!" attitude. I mean, original Lara is my preferred version of the character and I doubt that'll ever change, but I realize other people who prefer LAU or the current games have strong attachments to "their" Laras too. I'll try to stop being so closed-minded towards anything released past 2000, lol.
Old 14-06-18, 19:44   #19
HarleyCroft
Explorer

Loving the level write-ups, K_L!
Please keep them coming
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 19:16   #20
Karen_Leslie
Historian

Thanks. Just waiting to get TR2 installed on Steam, then the series should continue. I think today was the first time I opened Steam in about three years