Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 10-09-18, 09:22   #11
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I just checked with TRviewer, a TR tool that lets you look and even modify the animations of an item in a level....

Lara item has many animations, running, jumping, etc.....

Braid (ponytail) item shows no animations at all, hence all animations are hard coded into the game code.....

So the braid movement code will be...
Braid stationary when Lara stationary
Braid specific movements to do with Lara's movements on land
Braid specific movements with swimming and underwater action
Braid moving differently with the wind, only in outdoor areas

So there is a lot of code required for this braid's different movements

Last edited by The Great Chi; 10-09-18 at 09:38.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 09:59   #12
TR-Freak
Unverified

It's a basic integration of movement.
Since TR runs at fixed 30 FPS, you can easily implement physics without any obstacles.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 19:31   #13
Nausinous

Now I really want to know, you've piqued my interest

Do we not have access to the code? In fact have other people not rebuilt the engine from scratch, could we not ask them, surely they know?
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 20:46   #14
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausinous View Post
Now I really want to know, you've piqued my interest

Do we not have access to the code? In fact have other people not rebuilt the engine from scratch, could we not ask them, surely they know?
These maths are too difficult for any simple descriptions. The hair physics depends on:
  • Lara moving affects the first segment. It has the same velocity as Lara. Other segment positions calculated depending their own velocities one by one (like chain). Velocity is fade out if no moving anymore.
  • Is Lara above water or under water? There is no gravity underwater for braid. Every segment stays where it is (if its velocity becomes zero).
  • Gravity affects every braid segment above water (segments move down while they can).
  • Wind above water in outdoor flagged rooms. Wind strength formula use some random numbers for X and Z vectors (Y is vertical), those vectors affect every segment velocities.
  • Floor and water surface collision with braid (braid lays on the floor and water surface)
  • Lara body parts collision with braid (actually body mesh spheres collision, it prevents the braid from being inside Lara body parts)
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-18, 21:22   #15
Nausinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
These maths are too difficult for any simple descriptions. The hair physics depends on:
  • Lara moving affects the first segment. It has the same velocity as Lara. Other segment positions calculated depending their own velocities one by one (like chain). Velocity is fade out if no moving anymore.
  • Is Lara above water or under water? There is no gravity underwater for braid. Every segment stays where it is (if its velocity becomes zero).
  • Gravity affects every braid segment above water (segments move down while they can).
  • Wind above water in outdoor flagged rooms. Wind strength formula use some random numbers for X and Z vectors (Y is vertical), those vectors affect every segment velocities.
  • Floor and water surface collision with braid (braid lays on the floor and water surface)
  • Lara body parts collision with braid (actually body mesh spheres collision, it prevents the braid from being inside Lara body parts)
Well, that makes sense. Was it possible back then, in terms of programming/physics, for the length of Lara's jumps or her velocity to be proportional to her speed? The way it took a longer running jump to clear a certain jump for instance.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 13:58   #16
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Well we can see the effort that the Core design team put into making the TR2 braid move very realistically, which was impossible at the time for TR1 launch.

The banana jump...
Though talking about realism where Lara has to obey the laws of physics, there is one such move that is 'more or less' impossible for a human, and that is the bendy jump or banana jump as I like to call it.

When a human does a jump, that it, you move forward in that direction, but Lara can make a jump bend by using the direction keys while she is in mid air, and that gets her to 'just out of reach' ledges to catch.

The banana jump move is not used very much in the normal official levels, but in many TRLE custom game's, especially TR4 games, there are a lot of devious custom game makers out there, who love to use bendy jumps to allow Lara to proceed in the game. So you have to get used to this move, Grrrh

Here is a highly dramatic picture of Lara defying physics, where us poor humans cannot.....

The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 15:08   #17
noonbob

I love how her braid moves along the water surface when doing strokes.
Even modern TR doesn't have it moving so realistically
noonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 15:21   #18
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Well we can see the effort that the Core design team put into making the TR2 braid move very realistically, which was impossible at the time for TR1 launch.
It is quite possible for TR1 (with the same system requirements). It seems the developers didn't have enough time to make things right.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 15:37   #19
Pyro99

...im just now realising how bad i am at this stuff lol, i just assumed it was physics but i guess not quite
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 15:38   #20
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
...im just now realising how bad i am at this stuff lol, i just assumed it was physics but i guess not quite
Pretty much me, lol. I always thought it was physics-based or potentially programmed.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote