Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 14-02-07, 15:07   #1
Legend of Lara

Arrow General Final Fantasy Thread

talk about final fantasy x-2 and why it's the best game in the series here

Last edited by Legend of Lara; 30-11-15 at 14:50.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 15:24   #2
Rivendell

Currently playing FF3 remake on DS, Love it so far and I'm only a couple of hours in! The music, the old fighting, spells, swords, kings, princesses, ships, curses Dragons
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 15:27   #3
Mad Tony

IMO, the whole series is way overrated.
The only FF games that I find aren't overrated, are VIII and IX.
IX in particular.

Final Fantasy IX has always been the only FF game I ever loved. The battle system was pretty good, there were engaging and deep characters, marvelous locations and a wide array of attacks.
Plus, this game was a challenge and keeps you playing for hours on end.

Not to mention the fantastic soundtrack which I found myself forking £24 out of my wallet for.

Last edited by Mad Tony; 14-02-07 at 15:28.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 15:32   #4
Rivendell

FF9 is my fave too. I love FF7 in a TR1ish type of way, but Ff9 is my fave. I adore the music too, Nobuo is an audio Genius!
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 16:24   #5
Psyched

The soundtracks are very good indeed. I'm currently listening to an excellent full orchestral version of VI's opera (12 minutes long). I'm nearing a complete collection of all FF-related music, although it peaked at VIII, and after IX went downhill drastically, presumably because of lesser Nobuo involvement. I'll have to play through XII to see if that OST is worth acquiring. IX OST Plus was a bit of a disappointment, especially since most of the pieces were reworkings of the original theme - hardly that, in fact, they were just the theme played on different instruments.

So, who's getting XII over here when it comes out?

Last edited by Psyched; 14-02-07 at 16:25.
Psyched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 16:34   #6
Forwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
The battle system was pretty good
We can't possibly be thinking about the same game? The FFIX battle system was a disaster. Unbalanced, incredibly slow, punishing the player randomly - the command input to animation/attack synchronisation made it almost impossible to control the situation on the field and whether my command would actually be performed at a moment I'd intended it to be was a roulette. Square really should've polished their frames.

It's even more astonishing considering I'd had no problem with ATB in FFVIII. Why in FFIX Square returned to the flawed version from FFVII is beyond me.

And that sorry Ability System - I felt as if it was more limiting than even Junction System from FFVIII. And people miraculously complain about the systems from FFX-2 -_-

Last edited by Forwen; 14-02-07 at 16:57.
Forwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 16:47   #7
Forwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyched View Post
The soundtracks are very good indeed. I'm currently listening to an excellent full orchestral version of VI's opera (12 minutes long). I'm nearing a complete collection of all FF-related music, although it peaked at VIII, and after IX went downhill drastically, presumably because of lesser Nobuo involvement. I'll have to play through XII to see if that OST is worth acquiring. IX OST Plus was a bit of a disappointment, especially since most of the pieces were reworkings of the original theme - hardly that, in fact, they were just the theme played on different instruments.

So, who's getting XII over here when it comes out?
I am, although I won't be able to play it before the end of May, I'm afraid. And from what I've heard in various trailers and sites, FFXII soundtrack is a very average instrumental score - I think "blank" is a good way to put it. I know that in case FFXII proves to be a memorable and immersive game the music will also benefit from that, but we know all too well that in good ol' times of Uematsu it was music that enriched the game, not the other way around.

Last edited by Forwen; 14-02-07 at 16:48.
Old 14-02-07, 16:57   #8
Psyched

Granted. I do know there's an orchestral arrangement of the old masterpiece "Battle With Gilgamesh" (one of the outstanding tracks of FFV) included - perhaps that will still be as magical.
Psyched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 17:06   #9
Mad Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwen View Post
We can't possibly be thinking about the same game? The FFIX battle system was a disaster. Unbalanced, incredibly slow, punishing the player randomly - the command input to animation/attack synchronisation made it almost impossible to control the situation on the field and whether my command would actually be performed at a moment I'd intended it to be was a roulette. Square really should've polished their frames.
I liked it.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-07, 17:14   #10
Forwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
I liked it.
I did as well, as the story, music and even setting were superb. Well - they were good enough to make me quite tolerant for the flaws of the battle and level system, and to play FFIX to the end without even considering discarding it. But fights themselves were all frustration, no fun.

Last edited by Forwen; 14-02-07 at 17:15.