Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 09-10-18, 02:32   #1
J Mor

Default Modding TR1 (Steam or GLRage ver) (Tomb Raider 1)

Hi all,
I've been looking for a way to mod the camera in TR1. I bought the Steam (DosBox) version, but I also have a working version running natively in Windows using GLRage (I followed this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=607948166).
All I want to do is add 4 custom inputs that will let me nudge the camera up, down, left, and right while moving (identically to the camera in Resident Evil 4, if you've played that). I know it may be pretty complicated, but I really want to get into modding classic games, and this seems like something I'd enjoy.

Where do I begin? Anyone done anything similar?
J Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 07:51   #2
SLAYER

I have never seen this done before with the camera. I've seen the other classics modded to change the FOV or the camera distance from Lara, but cant remember anything as sophisticated as what you described. This requires quite a bit of coding I'd imagine.

Texture swap, texture packs, 3d model edits are possible. Check this thread for a taste:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219778
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 13:15   #3
J Mor

I hadn't seen this thread yet, thanks for pointing it out; I'm planning on asking the creators of mods like these for help directly if I need it.

The thing is, the only mods I've seen are ones that deal with models, shaders, textures, and sfx; i.e they mainly rely on altering/replacing asset files. With the exceptions of the Glidos (and possibly the aforementioned GLRage) versions, I haven't seen anyone tackle any modifications requiring coding or modifying the game logic. Even with Glidos, they didn't alter the game logic at all; they created a wrapper for the old hardware to allow it to run on modern hardware, and I'm guessing that the same is true of GLRage.

I'm a game dev student with a strong programming backbone, so I'm hoping I can make it work. I'm just not sure where to begin, as I have no prior history with mods of this type. Additionally, since the original release was on console and the PC release was a port (and this was before modding was in the minds of devs as it is now, as far as I know), it'd make sense to me that the game might not be programmed in the modular fashion best suited for mods. I'd still like to give it a shot, but I wanna see if anyone else has tried anything similar before diving off the deep end.
J Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 20:16   #4
SLAYER

There are some coding projects going on. Check Arsunt's TR2 work. The source code of TR2/3 was leaked a while ago, again check the TR2/3 sections and ask around. These might be of some help.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 21:20   #5
Sardoc

I don't know if this is the kind of stuff you'd be interested in, but I'll write it anyway, just in case.

GLRage has a Github release. It's a fantastic project, though there's still a bit of room for improvement.

There is a bug in Windows TR1/UB where if there is a "do x things to trigger a soundtrack" type of logic, when Lara does one of the required things, the background theme stops playing and never resumes until you save and load.

It can be "pick up 2 medipacks to trigger a soundtrack", "open 5 doors to trigger a soundtrack", and so on.

The music triggers fine when all the actions are finished, but the ambience never resumes.

I reported it some time ago.

Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote