Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 31-03-17, 18:07   #11
sackboy123

I've lost faith in this franchise, tried the Beta of the first one and I just didn't enjoy it, tried it for the Co-op but still didn't enjoy it. At least I have the original battlefront 2 on Steam and the online community is very active so I can always enjoy that at least
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 18:15   #12
ggctuk

The trouble is, like I've said before: DICE i very capable. But they've been pulled in all sorts of directions with the first game.

Fans claimed to not want Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, but then complained that it wasn't enough like Battlefield when it came out. The Battlefront franchise did in fact play very similarly to Battlefield, and they moved away from that. So there's that.

Then there's the fact that LucasFilm and EA wanted the game out to coincide with the new film (Episode VII), despite it having no content from the new film. It would have made more sense to aim for releasing alongside Rogue One, especially given that the film in question is within the Galactic Civil War time frame as is the game. The game needed that extra time anyway.

Last edited by ggctuk; 31-03-17 at 18:38.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 18:17   #13
Trenton

I hope they do some serious improvements from the last game.
I used to play the old Battlefront games to death (even the PSP version of Battlefront II), but for some reason the 'reboot' game I only played maybe 2-3 times before tiring of it and haven't touched it since. That's a surefire way of knowing something is wrong.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 19:48   #14
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The original games were fairly casual games. You'd just jump in and play.
Don't get me wrong: There's nothing wrong with Battlefront being a casual game. But Battlefront 2015 was a bit too casual with the Mario-Kart-like random pickups, the vehicle tokens, the star cards, the infinite ammo etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
I've lost faith in this franchise, tried the Beta of the first one and I just didn't enjoy it, tried it for the Co-op but still didn't enjoy it. At least I have the original battlefront 2 on Steam and the online community is very active so I can always enjoy that at least
What's the best way to play BF II online? I've heard that you need an external program and then basically play in LAN mode, right?

Btw: They really have to overhaul the fighter gameplay. I really love flying in Star Wars games, but Battlefront 2015 made this a bit too easy with the noob friendly lock-on system. When the lock-on system was changed in the Death Star DLC, I noticed that far less people got a high k/d since it wasn't possible anymore to lock on to other fighters indefinitely, so all of the noobs got a hard time making easy kills. But IMO they should completely erase the lock-on system, at least for normal laser guns (missiles without an aim assist wouldn't work in a SW game). DICE should look at the X-Wing games and Battlefront II for inspiration since those games got flying X-Wings right. Heck, even Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens has more sophisticated flying mechanics than Battlefront 2015 and that's a game aimed at kids.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 20:00   #15
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Don't get me wrong: There's nothing wrong with Battlefront being a casual game. But Battlefront 2015 was a bit too casual with the Mario-Kart-like random pickups, the vehicle tokens, the star cards, the infinite ammo etc.
Precisely.

Quote:
What's the best way to play BF II online? I've heard that you need an external program and then basically play in LAN mode, right?
Look up SWBFSpy.

Quote:
Btw: They really have to overhaul the fighter gameplay. I really love flying in Star Wars games, but Battlefront 2015 made this a bit too easy with the noob friendly lock-on system. When the lock-on system was changed in the Death Star DLC, I noticed that far less people got a high k/d since it wasn't possible anymore to lock on to other fighters indefinitely, so all of the noobs got a hard time making easy kills. But IMO they should completely erase the lock-on system, at least for normal laser guns (missiles without an aim assist wouldn't work in a SW game). DICE should look at the X-Wing games and Battlefront II for inspiration since those games got flying X-Wings right. Heck, even Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens has more sophisticated flying mechanics than Battlefront 2015 and that's a game aimed at kids.
Battlefront II still had a lock-on system for fighter craft targeting, though it wasn't a true 'locl-on'. The PSP games had to have that, however, because of the lack of buttons to control a starfighter, so an auto lock-on for Starfighters had to be done.

You know what else the original games had that the new ones don't? The ability for people to make things like this:

I suggested this to DICE devs at Star Wars Celebration last year but they clearly were not enthusiastic about the idea.

Last edited by ggctuk; 31-03-17 at 20:02.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 21:34   #16
Zreen001

I still remember the various mods for the first original one. So much fun!
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 21:56   #17
sackboy123

I have my Star Wars Battlefront 2 modded quite bad, I currently have Knights of the Old Republic as well as having Battlefront 1 maps and some new ones too mainly planets from the old Republic.
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 18:42   #18
Wooxman

Quote:
Look up SWBFSpy.
Will check it out, thanks!

Quote:
Battlefront II still had a lock-on system for fighter craft targeting, though it wasn't a true 'locl-on'. The PSP games had to have that, however, because of the lack of buttons to control a starfighter, so an auto lock-on for Starfighters had to be done.
That thing in BF II was rather a marker for certain enemy crafts than a real lock-on feature, was it? And I've played a bit of the PSP Battlefront games and noticed that DICE used quite a few things from those.

Quote:
You know what else the original games had that the new ones don't? The ability for people to make things like this:

I suggested this to DICE devs at Star Wars Celebration last year but they clearly were not enthusiastic about the idea.
Maybe EA is afraid that no one would buy DLCs if people could just make awesome mods.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 07:35   #19
HD Simplicityy

If DICE and the other devs working on this one can craft both an amazing single player experience, one that isn't tacked on, and a deep multiplayer, that is a good mix of social and competitive play, then I am interested.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 18:59   #20
lcroft_lc

Holy ****! How did I miss this!!

http://www.christianpost.com/news/st...a-dice-179604/

Wow the biggest trailer ever!!!

Well Battlefield 1 has one of the best Multiplayer in recent times. So if they can convince me enough, this might be my first Battlefront game.
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote