Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 01-06-17, 05:29   #11
HD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
At the moment unselect (unselect all) your selected item before change tabs.
That's right. This is how it is supposed to work. I though that sometimes you would want to keep the object visible in the mesh editor in order to compare or whatever.

As for export options, I think most people here use Metasequoia. I may add more options later but there are more important things that I am trying to finish first.
HD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 10:18   #12
dcw123

^ Sounds quite handy TBH.. the amount of times I've had to keep importing objects into Meta to compare the size.

I made an object yesterday, and because I hadn't compared it to another object (like a table or Lara herself) then it was far too big LOL
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 13:45   #13
Joey79100

I hate TRF. I was writing a long post in Quick Reply, and as I've taken too long to write, it got me disconnected, but after login in again, it just said it couldn't post so I had to push Back... but as I was writing in Quick Reply, there was no way to get back what I had written.
Well, at least it will allow me to reorganize my post.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 13:58   #14
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD86 View Post
As for export options, I think most people here use Metasequoia. I may add more options later but there are more important things that I am trying to finish first.
Most people here use metasequoia only because most tools have export option to metaseq only. So it's not really a matter of choice/preferences but plain constraint. Thankfully it's slowly changing with Saper's efforts in adding new export options to STRPIX, but we're still far from making TRLE tools compatible with much better 3d editing alternatives.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 16:11   #15
Joey79100

^
This is true. Many people would love to use other tools like Blender or 3DS Max but can't.

This tool is exactly the kind of tool we need. And this project comes around the same time other interesting things (Tomb Editor and plugins in TRNG) have appeared. Thank you so much for doing this.
So far it is already great, the fact that it is almost all-in-one, modern, and includes many useful features even other individual tools can't do (transparency, lighting or shine for example)... It's a great gift. And it's already close to being really great. But obviously nothing is perfect, so there are several things I want to suggest if you don't mind (but these are suggestions, just my opinion, you can take what you want or nothing at all, it's your program!). There are many, but the fact that I've been able to list all of this (which is everything that has crossed my mind) is because I think that's all it would need to do what it does just right. Understand: it's already very near to a wonderful tool and these are suggestions to bring it even closer.

Modifications:
  • First, something that applies for absolutely everything: if a feature can't be used because some conditions aren't met, it should be disabled (having them grey and not clickable) instead of letting the user click them and display an error message. You can put the requirements to make it work in its tooltip instead.
  • Each time you use a textbox for a number, you should use a spinner instead. It's much easier to change the values this way... Well, it should. Because generally, spinners accept mouse wheel movement (which is really handy because it's faster), and long click on the arrows should make the number go up/down as long as you keep the mouse button down.
  • The light feature is great, especially the fact that its settings are kept when you reopen the program. But unfortunately, you have to close the window each time to see your changes. It should be applied instantly.
  • Also, when you close a window that is using tabs like the Viewport settings, it would be great that the next time you open it, it opens on the tab you were viewing before closing.
  • I'm not an object creator so I don't really see the goal in having the mesh and the object displayed at the same time, but at first it looks like a bug (especially because they're overlapping). There shoud be a checkbox, or a button, or something to enable this feature.
  • The filter is a great idea, however its location is a bit nonlogical: it behaves on the list at the left, so it should be placed under that list, not in the main ribbon, because it looks like it would have an effect on what is displayed (for example, in the Texture pane, where I've first used it, I thought it was going to filter the displayed textures).
  • The transparency mode is wrong. Well it's great, but in game it is additive transparency, so it would be better to have the same in your program.
  • Well, same for the shine, but it seems you've tried already and couldn't. If you decide to try it again, you could add a setting to use a default texture (you'd insert the original TR4 sprite in your program) or a custom texture, or a sprite in the WAD (as with FLEP we can customize the shine sprite).

Additions:
  • Keyboard shortcuts, like Ctrl+A to select everything (depending on the context obviously).
  • Also, clicking in the empty (be it in a list or in the 3D view) doesn't deselect what is selected, unlike in other programs.
  • I was about to say MQO exported meshes don't keep the textures. But I was wrong, it exports them better, as Metasequoia has them. It is STRPix that doesn't do it the right way it seems, because the textures aren't displayed in Meta when you open a mesh exported by STRPix. The problem is that because of this, exporting a mesh from your program and importing it in STRPix doesn't keep the textures at all. So it's a problem of STRPix here, but maybe the materials could be named the same way STRPix (optionally)?
  • The way you can import things is interesting, however, it should be renamed as Multiple import (as it is its goal it seems), and you should add an Import button next to the Export button to replace a mesh directly (like it does in STRPix). This way you don't have to change the slot of the mesh before importing.
  • Also, still about importing: if you could drag and drop a mesh from te right tab over a mesh in the left tab to import it directly without having to change its slot.
  • Being able to click on a Mesh in the list when it is already selected to change its slot could be great. Kinda like when you rename a file in Windows.
  • Pressing Enter to validate what you've entered (when you change an object's slot).
  • Sorting the meshes by slot. Except for static items, because static items always have one mesh, so it should be their objet name that displays (or both names, but not a menu just for one mesh).
  • When you're in the object pane, you could have the exact same list as the (sorted) mesh list: slots, and you can expand to show the list of meshes. And also, you could move the position of the meshes from here (because their position in the object is important). And double-clicking a mesh would open the Meshes pane on that mesh so you can edit it.
  • Axis when selecting vertices (that's so nice that you can move them!), so you can move them right from the 3D view.
  • The green cubes for vertices are either too big or too small. I think their size should be relative to the camera, or customizable. Because, well, they're kinda hard to select, but when an object is too detailed, the cubes sometimes overlap each other and you see more green than you can see the actual mesh.
  • FOV setting for the camera.

Performance:
  • It seems displaying a static item makes the whole thing lag.
  • Same when opening the texture pane, I don't know why.
  • Overall, when you know an operation might take too long, you should add something to show it is loading, because currently the program just hangs (and Windows thinks it's frozen).

Crashes (obviously ):
  • I can't save my "NG" Wads (with high-poly models). Even after "correcting" them through the TRWad to TRWest compatibility tool. I think it's because of the high number of vertices or something but I'm not sure.
  • The (collision) Editor button just makes the program crash.
  • Same for the Set button in the Face Editor pane. What is it for by the way? I guess it is for applying the selected texture to the selected face, but, it sounds counter-intuitive because first, the textures are in another pane, and secondly, having to click on a button to apply a texture is annoying. The button should be like a switchable button (like the Face Edit mode of TRLE), this way you could apply textures directly. But the textures would need to be displayed anyway, so I'm not even sure of the purpose of this Set button.
  • I had Lara displayed. Then I went to the Mesh pane, imported a MQO mesh, changed its slot (so it would copy over mesh 27), and imported it into the Wad. Then I wanted to calculate its normals, because it didn't have any lighting, and it crashed.

Also, I don't really understand two things:
In the vertex editor, there's a Shade category in the ribbon. There's a slider with its value displayed next to it, then another number, then the Set button. I guess the slider and its value are the shade strength. But what about the other number ?
Same for the Shine in the Face editor: there are two numbers... Plus there is an additional Set button (with Unset too), it's not obvious what it is for. But in my opinion there shouldn't even be any Set button, you should just have to select the face(s), move the slider, and the changes should apply instantly.
And, the Resize texture window has the same problem: two numbers each time, and no idea what this other number is for.

Last question: do you plan to add other (big) features in possible future versions, like a sprite editor, a sound editor, or even an animation editor? Just curious.
Good luck with that tool!

Last edited by Joey79100; 01-06-17 at 16:14.
Old 01-06-17, 18:00   #16
HD86

Thanks Joey79100 for the feedback. Some of the things you said were on my mind but I didn't do them in order to save time.

I am trying to finish the big things first (animation editor, mesh tree editor, finishing the object editor, etc.)

The number on the right is the increase increment. For example, if you want to move a mesh three clicks you can type 256 in the right box and press an arrow button three times. Every time you click an arrow button the value on the right will be added to or subtracted from the value on the left.

In designing this app I tried to faithfully follow the structure of the WAD file. In the WAD file there is a field for setting the face shine on/off and another filed for setting the shine intensity (in the range 0-31), so you can set the shine intensity even if the shine attribute is turned off. You may find it illogical but this is how it is in the WAD file.

Similarly, the WAD file has a shade value for each individual vertex (in the range 0-8191). As far as I know, StrPix does not allow you to change individual vertex shades.

Normally, I expected crashes so I made the app generate a lengthy error description when it crashes. Could you send me the error descriptions as private messages? Especially the one involving the face texture set button.

I am aware of the performance issue when statics are displayed. This is because statics tend to have shades and transparency. Rendering shades, shine, and transparency slows down the engine. I wanted to put options in the settings to disable the rendering of those features. It will be available in the next release. You will be able to untick them and that should speed up the display.
Old 02-06-17, 18:41   #17
Joey79100

Quote:
I am trying to finish the big things first (animation editor, mesh tree editor, finishing the object editor, etc.)
Well I guess I have my answer. I'm even more exited now.

Quote:

The number on the right is the increase increment. For example, if you want to move a mesh three clicks you can type 256 in the right box and press an arrow button three times. Every time you click an arrow button the value on the right will be added to or subtracted from the value on the left.
Oh that's a neat feature then actually! It just needs a tooltip to explain what it is.

Quote:
In designing this app I tried to faithfully follow the structure of the WAD file. In the WAD file there is a field for setting the face shine on/off and another filed for setting the shine intensity (in the range 0-31), so you can set the shine intensity even if the shine attribute is turned off. You may find it illogical but this is how it is in the WAD file.

Similarly, the WAD file has a shade value for each individual vertex (in the range 0-8191). As far as I know, StrPix does not allow you to change individual vertex shades.
In that case I guess it's not useful, I mean, it has no purpose for the user and it is confusing when you don't know why it is like that. The more "logical" way would be better. You can just set the shine bit off when the value is 0 and set it on when it's higher.

Quote:
Normally, I expected crashes so I made the app generate a lengthy error description when it crashes. Could you send me the error descriptions as private messages? Especially the one involving the face texture set button.
Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing, no generated file, it's just a generic Windows crash ("This application has stopped working, bla bla"). Even in Administrator mode there's nothing. Just in case, I'm running Windows 10 64 bit Anniversary Edition.
Would you like me to send you the WADs that can't be saved?

Quote:
I am aware of the performance issue when statics are displayed. This is because statics tend to have shades and transparency. Rendering shades, shine, and transparency slows down the engine. I wanted to put options in the settings to disable the rendering of those features. It will be available in the next release. You will be able to untick them and that should speed up the display.
Settings like that, even without performance issues, are always welcomed actually. It can always be useful.
Oh, by the way, another crash: the Settings button at the top right of the window. I never managed to open it either.
Old 02-06-17, 19:56   #18
HD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
Would you like me to send you the WADs that can't be saved?
Sure. That will be very useful if it is only this WAD that causes the crash, but if all WADs cause the crash on your machine then no.

Can you try opening one of the original TR4 WADs and see if there are crashes? If you can use the original WADs without problems, then please send me the WAD that causes the crash.
Old 02-06-17, 20:23   #19
Joey79100

I've been able to save other (original) Wads.
Here were two Wads. A classic one, and one only with TRAngel's AOD Lara skin (well, extracted from my Wad, I haven't tried with the original download).
At first I thought it was because of the LARA object, because as soon as I put it in a working WAD, TRWad to TRWest Compatibility tool is not able to open that Wad. But even without it it crashes, so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Joey79100; 02-06-17 at 21:15. Reason: Link deleted as the problem didn't come from the Wads
Old 02-06-17, 20:27   #20
Nicklander

Thanks for your hard work !
Nicklander is offline   Reply With Quote