Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 24-02-12, 15:30   #1
lcroft_lc

Default Hercules: The Thracian Wars

Dwayne Johnson to play Brett Ratner's Hercules
Quote:
The Rock in line to layeth the smacketh down on Ancient Greece

Hercules will be the next project for political correctness expert Brett Ratner, with the director in line to bring an adaptation of Steve Moore’s comic-book series Hercules: The Thracian Wars to the big screen.

And the man in line to play the hulking Greek demigod? None other than musclebound man-mountain Dwayne Johnson, who Variety reports is currently in talks with MGM to take the role.

The comic-book series paints the Hercules myth with a rather darker palette than audiences might be used to, casting the son of Zeus as an embittered warrior turned violent mercenary.

When the king of Thrace hires him to train his army into a squadron of lethal killing machines, Hercules is happy to take the gig. But when said army begin to attack innocent men, women and children in their conquest of Greece, Herc begins to think twice.

It certainly sounds a decent fit for The Rock, who despite his fondness for light-hearted family-friendly fare, is at his best when playing mean and moody badasses.

As for Ratner? Well, despite his recent PR nightmare, Tower Heist was the best thing he’s made in a long time, so our hopes for this one are cautiously high. Famous last words? Let’s hope not…
Source: Variety
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 15:31   #2
Sir Croft

Well... who else, eh?
Sir Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 18:44   #3
Lara Croft!

Am I the only one who is sick and tired that Hollywood keeps butchering up ancient history and myths, by insisting on creating movies based on comics? The actual history of real events or myths is equally attractive to be moved to the big screen. People used to watch history movies and actually learn something. Now people believe that there were monsters in the battle of the 300 in Sparta (and thus mistake the battle for a mythical one) or that the Norse God Thor wore jeans. And now Hercules as "an embittered warrior turned violent mercenary". Srsly?

Last edited by Lara Croft!; 24-02-12 at 18:48.
Lara Croft! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-12, 23:19   #4
voltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Croft! View Post
or that the Norse God Thor wore jeans.
Speaking of Thor, why the hell did they put Lady Sif on the backburner? I thought she was Thor's love interest?
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 08:33   #5
lcroft_lc

I am not sick of these super hero + ancient mythology films. I was actually waiting for Hercules since Troy film remake in 2004.
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 11:41   #6
Encore

Quote:
Am I the only one who is sick and tired that Hollywood keeps butchering up ancient history and myths, by insisting on creating movies based on comics? The actual history of real events or myths is equally attractive to be moved to the big screen. People used to watch history movies and actually learn something. Now people believe that there were monsters in the battle of the 300 in Sparta (and thus mistake the battle for a mythical one) or that the Norse God Thor wore jeans. And now Hercules as "an embittered warrior turned violent mercenary". Srsly?
It's because every age has its own concept of hero, and right now, people like seeing angsty, "regular john" guys playing the hero. So instead of coming up with original tales to fit that, they prefer adapting the classics to that formula.

I liked the Thor movie though, and this is coming from a "fan" of norse mythology.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 11:46   #7
jackali
Golden

Quote:
I think it's better that they butcher history and myth by making films based on comics. It's better than what they did to the Iliad with Troy. That was honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen. The most terrible things being that the story was already written for them, and much of it was written in a way which would be described as 'cinematic'. So I'd rather they mess up by using different source material than insult the actual history or myth with their attempt to do it better than something which has lasted for thousands of years.
jackali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 18:28   #8
Avalon SARL

Quote:
No you are not.
This is just very boring.
No one wants to think anymore and create some new stuff
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-12, 19:10   #9
Dia2blo

Why couldn't they just have adapted Andy McDermott's "The Tomb of Hercules" instead?

God damnit I want those books made into movies.
Dia2blo is offline   Reply With Quote