Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 11-02-10, 13:30   #1
TRenTIs

Default USB Problem

Today I recieved a new USB that I had ordered from Ebay. I started moving all my files onto it, and I was in the middle of copying 1.33 GB of photos into a folder when it told me that some of the files were corrupt and couldn't be transfered.
I looked in the folder that I was trying to make, and most of the photos weren't there, and the ones that were there had gone crazy and were clearly corrupted. I tried to delete the folder, but it wouldn't let me.
The SD card that these photos were on before I tried to get them onto my USB works fine, and all of the photos were fine. None of them were corrupted at all.
I reset my computer and I plugged my USB in again and it said that there may be a problem with the USB and I had the option to scan it. I scanned it and it said that it got rid of some of the problems. I went to the folder that I was trying to put the photos in, and it said that it had 0 bytes worth of data in it. I double-clicked on the folder to check inside it, and there were about 20 image files in there that were still corrupted, and didn't work. They were also marked as 0 bytes.
I tried to delete the folder and when I confirmed that I wanted to permanently delete all the files in the folder, it seemed like everything was going normal, because it showed that it was deleting the folder with no problems.
The problem is, is that the folder is still there, even though I have tried to delete it several times. I have run a virus check on the USB, and it is clean of viruses. so there is no problem there.
I just want to be able to delete this stupid "empty" folder so I can try and transfer the photos again.
As far as I can tell, there is nothing at all wrong with the USB, except that it won't let me delete this folder, even though it shows that it is deleting, and there is no warning message that pops up saying that it didn't delete.
Does anyone know how I might solve my problem?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks to anyone that helps.
TRenTIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 13:35   #2
TRfan23
Golden

Go into My Computer, right-click on your memory stick drive, click on format, make sure it's on FAT32(Default) and check 'Quick Format' then start. If that doesn't work try Unlocker
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 13:40   #3
EscondeR

What brand/series/capacity this USB flash drive is?
There is non-zero possibility that the drive is faulty.
EscondeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:35   #4
TRenTIs

I don't know whether to format it because the default says that it's "NTFS".

The USB is "Kingston Data Traveler 200", and it's 128GB.
Old 12-02-10, 12:50   #5
EscondeR

If the drive is authentic, it can be formatted to NTFS file system. So give it a go. If it refuses to format or some issues remain, then 2 possibilities: either the drive is faulty (frankly speaking, the larger drive capacity is, the easier it breaks) or it is fake.
EscondeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-10, 00:23   #6
TRenTIs

Ok. It wouldn't format.

I've just checked on Ebay, because that's where I bought it from, and the guy that I bought it from is no longer a registered user. So basically, I won't be able to return it, and I'm thinking that the user knew that the USB would be faulty.

So basically, I will now do anything to try to get it to work.
Any other suggestions?
Old 13-02-10, 00:34   #7
spikejones

if you look at "disk management" tool with the DT 200 plugged in, what does it show the partition size to be?

can you post a Screen Shot of the root contents of the drive?
-afaik there should by default a tool called Password Traveller used to create secure private (password protected) partition. If missing, download here: http://www.kingston.com/support/USBF...lt.asp?s=DT200

and view manual here:
http://www.kingston.com/support/USBF...sersManual.pdf

if its anything like the "secure zone" application on my verbatim memory stick, it can be used to format and reallocate secure space into unsecure space.

Last edited by spikejones; 13-02-10 at 00:35.
spikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-10, 00:49   #8
TRenTIs

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you're asking me to check, or how to check it?
Old 13-02-10, 01:08   #9
spikejones

first point, right click "my computer" -> go to "manage" -> go to "disk management" sub section

look at drive size listed for your USB drive

second point, post a screen shot of drives root contents (ie not inside any folders). I'm checking for presence of the secure zone tool mentioned above
spikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-10, 02:20   #10
TRenTIs

I hope this is what you meant.

[IMG]http://i45.************/10fq4pl.jpg[/IMG]

And, thank you for responding so quickly.