Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 02-10-18, 23:31   #1
MuruCoder

Default AoD Review by AVGN

Enjoy!

For those who don't know, Angry Video Game Nerd is a character who reviews crappy games of the past. It's mostly for entertainment purposes and often times he exaggerates issues. Watch it without taking it too seriously

MuruCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 23:57   #2
innocentvenus

Haha omg I love it!
innocentvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 02:56   #3
trfan16

I was just about to come here and post that.

James' Tomb Raider and Drake of the 99 Dragons reviews were some of his best in the past couple of years. I like how he focused more on the gameplay mechanics and provided some insight and backstory behind AOD's development instead of taking up half of the episode with skits. Not that his skits were bad, but some of his episodes were drawn out with his skits.

As for the review itself, I thought it was very entertaining all the way through. I'm glad that he acknowledged how big of an icon Lara Croft was in the late 90's/early 00's instead of going in and bashing Chronicles and AOD. I forgot how she was showcased in different forms of media like the Visa commercial. I agree with his reviews for Chronicles and AOD too. Some of the flaws that he pointed out are my complaints about these two games too. Although my AOD experience has never been that buggy aside from the jumping mechanics. My favorite parts was the one where James takes the camera inside Lara's head and the glitchy scream during the pause menu.

I do think the point about AOD having no checkpoints is a little nitpicky though. Especially when none of the earlier games had them. AND they allowed the player to save whenever they wanted. But as MuruCoder mentioned, sometimes he exaggerates some of his points to add more comedic value to his videos.

Last edited by trfan16; 03-10-18 at 03:08.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 06:40   #4
Titanium

I watched this the other day on Amazon Prime video. Absolutely hilairious!

Just a warning that there's quite a bit of swearing in this video for anyone that would be offenced by that sort of language.
Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 08:43   #5
trin_303

Love James & AVGN, enjoyed the episode even tho I also love AOD to death, but recently I've played AOD on PS2 for the first time (I always played it on PC) and my God did I go insanely mad trying to play it. I've reached Bio Research Facility and stopped there. Hall of seasons was a nightmare to pass. The PC version is so much better.

I would like if he went more into depth of what happened and that he listed some positive things about AOD such as the music and the story (even tho he joked about the story), but I get he might not be as invested as he said himself he missed out on all PS1 hits cause of N64.
trin_303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-18, 06:53   #6
SLAYER

He actually went and played the games and did more than the basic research. He earns my respect. TRC and AOD are among my favorites but most of what he says is valid.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote