Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 23-01-17, 15:18   #11
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
But there's no level converter... or am I missing something?
That's correct. As far as I know there are only some tools to convert levels into PSX compatible format but they don't work without editing, so I guess only programmers can do anything with them. Gh0stBlade surely knows a lot about it since he's the only one who actually looked into the leaked PSX devkit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
You're partly correct.... Yes, it is indeed possible to convert the levels from uncooked project files to PS1 for TR4. I think you are being confused by me having my own conversion tools which convert directly from PC cooked files to PSX cooked ones. I would also like to clarify that those tools are not released because they are not in a finished state (I started re-writing them some time ago) and I may not be allowed to. Also, they are not based on anything from the official TR4 PS1 tools. I was working on it way before that stuff leaked I think... It's only useful for converting TR1/2 levels anyway.

The original tools to convert the uncooked project files to cooked PSX files are available. If you really wanted to convert a TRLE level to PSX you'd need the original project files and also to ensure that it does NOT breach PSX vertex/polygon limits which are VERY low and EASY to breach. Then another problem would be compiling a new game wad since no tools have been released for that yet.

Quote:
Moreover, I think they would actually have to hack the editor to find out the format of the TR5 WADs...
The original TR5 Room Editor can open TR4 WADs with no problem, so I guess the differences must be minimal

Quote:
Or was there a TRC WAD included in the dev package?
As far as I can see there are some WAD related files in the PSX devkit, but I think they are for PSX version.

Last edited by Caesum; 23-01-17 at 15:20.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 00:58   #12
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

We can turn prj files to psx files ? How ?
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 13:24   #13
Dustie

I'd like to know that too, I don't remember anything for level converting in the PSX dev package... I remember there are tools to convert WAD files such as the sound files (.vob?) and something else, but not an actual level compiler...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 13:29   #14
Caesum

Quote:
I'd like to know that too, I don't remember anything for level converting in the PSX dev package... I remember there are tools to convert WAD files such as the sound files (.vob?) and something else, but not an actual level compiler...
You already asked that question back in 2015 and Gh0stblade answered to it:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...3&postcount=12
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 13:32   #15
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
You already asked that question back in 2015 and Gh0stblade answered to it:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...3&postcount=12
Yes, I remembered something like that.

That's why I thought about the WAD files for PS1 versions. I think that might be the key, there are tools to change WAD files to PS1 format, but I remember I couldn't figure out how to get them to work and what to convert exactly.
Plus, they are DOS apps as far as I can remember and I struggled to get them to work through DosBox, which was uncomfortable enough when you don't really know how to get something to work in the first place.

I would have to get on a Windows XP machine to try things with it again, although I must admit I'm not too motivated to do it, since I don't find the concept of converting levels to PS1 appealing. My current interests lay in new editors and engines, not in playing custom levels on PS1.

Last edited by Dustie; 24-01-17 at 13:35.
Old 24-01-17, 16:33   #16
XxwildxX
Inactive

I think that TR5 could use some modding yes
Id love to see it modded , do you have some kind of list of the stuff you found ?
XxwildxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 15:57   #17
Nightshades

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxwildxX View Post
I think that TR5 could use some modding yes
Id love to see it modded , do you have some kind of list of the stuff you found ?
Hey, Sorry i didn't keep continue doing it, the engine is a massive amount of trash with useless garbage, i think it would be better to just code a new game in unreal engine 4 at that rate lol.

I'm not very active too =P.
Nightshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-17, 16:05   #18
Dustie

That's too bad, for a moment you got us excited.