www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 21-07-18, 00:16   #181
Danath
Archaeologist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaroRaider View Post
The part of starting a level from scratch is indeed difficult, at least for me as well. I think you have to see a bit the insecurity of not knowing well if the level will end with the expectations that you want, since when you move forward it becomes more intuitive and you are more convinced of what you are doing. Anyway, it may be something subjective.
Yeah, that's definitely it, i always feel insecure at the beginning but gain confidence when i have a few rooms built.
I have built 13 rooms tonight and i can already get a good feeling for the beginning segment. I'm trying to take it easier and improvise things as i get going, it's working quite well at the moment.

Quote:
Another way to start a level, is to build the most significant environments from a specific idea and then connect it with the beginning of the level. In general, designers have more in mind some concrete idea that should be implemented somewhere in between the level and not necessarily "the beginning of the level".
That's a good idea, but it's too "chaotic" for me. I'm a person that needs to have things "controlled" or having a defined order, otherwise i get nervous and don't function very well.
I have all the ideas written down on a text doc, so i don't forget them.
Old 21-07-18, 14:42   #182
Feder
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Weather got less crazy today and i could concentrate to do tests with the darn sinks without feeling my brain melting.
The test level is using Diving Area as base level. Here's my findings:

Sink #1, room #1. It's a suction sink, pulling you down a hole. Works wonderful.

Sink #2, room #2. A repulsion sink, pushes you out. It works.

Sink #3, room #3. A suction sink, pushes you forwards. It also works!

But here comes the weirdness!
Sink #4, room #5. Should suction you downwards, but does the opposite. It pushes you out instead of in.

-------------------------

So, given that i want the sink #1 type in this next level, i will have to reserve room #1 for that one, otherwise it won't work. Normal corridor sinks pushing you out/inside should work, but we'll see...
Nice work of investigation you have going on for what it shows, seems like the problem could be on having an underwater flow trigger on the same square of the sink, with the exception of room 1? I figure because of the sink 2 and 3 images.. Or it's just a very erratic behaviour of sinks!

Quote:
The part of starting a level from scratch is indeed difficult, at least for me as well. I think you have to see a bit the insecurity of not knowing well if the level will end with the expectations that you want, since when you move forward it becomes more intuitive and you are more convinced of what you are doing. Anyway, it may be something subjective.

Another way to start a level, is to build the most significant environments from a specific idea and then connect it with the beginning of the level. In general, designers have more in mind some concrete idea that should be implemented somewhere in between the level and not necessarily "the beginning of the level". That would explain, if we inspect an official level, why Lara is never at the beginning of room # 0. Perhaps, the designers of Tomb Raider followed this same methodology. Who knows!
I think the original designers of Tomb Raider had it all sketched out from scratch, so they knew exactly which rooms to built and where. If you examine with Fexinspect you'll also notice that the rooms are not exactly in orden, like ours who knows!
Feder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-18, 15:49   #183
Danath
Archaeologist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Nice work of investigation you have going on for what it shows, seems like the problem could be on having an underwater flow trigger on the same square of the sink, with the exception of room 1? I figure because of the sink 2 and 3 images..
Thanks.
Yeah, that's what it seems like to me, that having a sink directly above a flow trigger will only work on room #1...

Quote:
If you examine with Fexinspect you'll also notice that the rooms are not exactly in orden, like ours who knows!
Looking with Fexinspect at original levels confuses me without fail. It's a mess of random room numbers.
---------------------
Oh, and i don't know why, but this last night i had a massive flow of ideas coming to me while i was trying to sleep with the damn heat. There are so many things that i don't know if i'll remember all of them!
Old 21-07-18, 19:32   #184
DaroRaider
Student

Quote:
I think the original designers of Tomb Raider had it all sketched out from scratch, so they knew exactly which rooms to built and where. If you examine with Fexinspect you'll also notice that the rooms are not exactly in orden, like ours who knows!

Yes, that can explain it too. Something I had heard about (I think in an interview) that designers used third-party design programs to lay out the entire environment first. So it may be true that they already have everything "cooked" before using the editor. However, the procedure to do the level itself is very rare taking into account the order of the rooms. It's really a mess!
DaroRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-18, 16:53   #185
Danath
Archaeologist

Smile Cool geometry

I haven't made much of a progress still, but i wanted to share something.
Here's the kind of geometry i want to have for the caves in this level, this room is dry and there's a water one below that has more shapes in it.

I hope i can keep this kind of detail without going out of texture space, i'm liking how it looks.
Old 26-07-18, 16:57   #186
Opaque79
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
I haven't made much of a progress still, but i wanted to share something.
Here's the kind of geometry i want to have for the caves in this level, this room is dry and there's a water one below that has more shapes in it.

I hope i can keep this kind of detail without going out of texture space, i'm liking how it looks.
I hope you can too. Feel bad for you because of the limited space you have. Keep it up
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 16:30   #187
Danath
Archaeologist

Arrow Slow progress

The 3rd level is about 40% done as of now, progress has been ultra slow due to the extremely high heat these last 2 weeks, thankfully it's gone now. Still need to figure out how to organize the rooms though.
Here's some screenshots of the beginning part:

The Harpoon Gun is automatically provided with plenty harpoons when starting the level. Lara comes prepared!

I added a "moss" texture to the ceiling on the cave.

There's the entrance to the enemy base. This area took a looong time to make. You can see the starfish from TR3 on the floor.

And here Lara is inside and can look at the underwater cave outside.

--------------------------

Now comes the bad news. Thewolf noticed that there are inexplicable texture count increases when you compile a level in Dxtre. Here's what Dxtre says my level has:

1715, which is excellent since it would leave me plenty of space left for the rest of the level. Note that the textures for the rooms are only 189.
But PixStr says this:

And this is the REAL count for the level. For some unknown reason the rooms texture count is more than doubled in the compiled level, even if the editor says otherwise.

The feature in Arsunt's patch to increase texture buffers may be coming relatively soon, but until it comes and it works i will no longer be able to post further screenshots. :\ I'm sorry about that, but i don't want to compromise detail, i want this game to be the best i can possibly make. The level/s will be constructed anyway, but detailing will need to wait.
Screenshots are lacking even decorations that i want to include because lack of texture space, such as corals/plants and some rocks.
Old 11-08-18, 22:57   #188
Topixtor
Hobbyist

Really like what you have done so far! And I'm hoping as hard as you for Arsunt's feature. This will totally unlock all the hidden power of the TR2 engine!
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-18, 01:15   #189
DaroRaider
Student

Dude, I like how fast you are going and that underwater environment where with the cabin! Perfect!
Hope you can get rid of the problem of the texture amount!!
DaroRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-18, 08:25   #190
Titak

Looking great, Danath!

I've always liked that underground lake in The Deck and this reminds me of that a bit.