Mortal Kombat: Deception
Mortal Kombat: Unchained
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Mortal Kombat 2011
Mortal Kombat X

Quote:
an American video game franchise series created by Ed Boon and John Tobias. The first four renditions and their updates were developed by Midway Games and initially released on arcade machines, and later to home consoles. The arcade titles were later picked up by Acclaim Entertainment for the home console conversions. Beginning with Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Midway Games exclusively created home versions of Mortal Kombat up until Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Following Midway's bankruptcy, the franchise was picked up by Warner Bros. in July 2009 and became a part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

The development of the first game was originally based on an idea of making a video game (according to Ed Boon, the game was originally meant to be a fast experiment) starring Jean-Claude Van Damme, but that idea fell through and Mortal Kombat was created instead and released in 1992. The original game has spawned many sequels and has been spun off into several action-adventure games, films (animated and live-action with its own sequel), and television series (animated and live-action). Other spin-offs include various comic book series, a card game and a live-action tour. Along with Capcom's Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat has become one of the most successful and influential fighting franchises in the history of video games.

The series is known for its high levels of bloody violence, including, most notably, its Fatalities—finishing moves, requiring a sequence of buttons to perform, which, in part, led to the creation of the ESRB. The series name itself is also known for using the letter "K" in place of "C" for the hard C sound, thus intentionally misspelling the word "combat", as well as other words with the hard C sound within later games in the series. Early games in the series were especially noted for its realistic digitized sprites (which differentiated it from its contemporaries' hand-drawn sprites), as well as an extensive use of palette swapping to create new characters.
The following video depicts well both the evolution of graphics and gameplay across the series:

Quote:
The series takes place in a fictional universe consisting of eighteen surviving realms which, according to in-game backstories, were created by the Elder Gods. The Mortal Kombat: Deception manual described the six realms as: "Earthrealm, home to such legendary heroes as Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Sonya Blade, Johnny Cage, and Jax, and also under the protection of the Thunder God Raiden; Netherrealm, the fiery depths of which are inhospitable to all but the most vile, a realm of demons and shadowy warriors; Outworld, a realm of constant strife which Emperor Shao Kahn claims as his own; Seido, The Realm of Order, whose inhabitants prize structure and order above all else; The Realm of Chaos, whose inhabitants do not abide by any rules whatsoever, and where constant turmoil and change are worshipped; and Edenia, which is known for its beauty, artistic expression, and the longevity of its inhabitants." The Elder Gods decreed that the denizens of one realm could only conquer another realm by defeating the defending realm's greatest warriors in ten consecutive Mortal Kombat tournaments.

The first Mortal Kombat game takes place in Earthrealm where seven different warriors with their own reasons for entering participated in the tournament with the eventual prize being the continued freedom of their realm, threatened with a takeover by Outworld. Among the established warriors were Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, and Sonya Blade. With the help of the Thunder God Raiden, the Earthrealm warriors were victorious and Liu Kang became the new champion of Mortal Kombat. In Mortal Kombat II, unable to deal with his minion Shang Tsung's failure, Outworld Emperor Shao Kahn lures the Earthrealm warriors to the Outworld where the Earthrealm warriors eventually defeat Shao Kahn. By the time of Mortal Kombat 3, Shao Kahn revives Edenia's (now a part of his Outworld domain) former queen Sindel in Earthrealm, combining it with Outworld as well. He then attempts to invade Earthrealm but is ultimately defeated by the Earthrealm warriors again. After Kahn's defeat, Edenia was freed from Kahn's grasp and returned to a peaceful realm, ruled by Princess Kitana. The following game, Mortal Kombat 4, features the former elder god Shinnok attempting to conquer the realms and attempting to kill the thunder god Raiden. However, he is also defeated by the Earthrealm warriors.

In Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, the evil sorcerers Quan Chi and Shang Tsung join forces to conquer the realms and subsequently become the main antagonists. By Mortal Kombat: Deception, after several fights, the sorcerers emerge victorious having killed most of Earthrealms' warriors until Raiden steps forth to oppose them. The Dragon King Onaga, who had been freed by Reptile at the end of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, had deceived Shujinko, the protagonist of Mortal Kombat: Deception, into searching for six pieces of Kamidogu, the source of Onaga's power. Onaga then confronted the alliance of Raiden, Shang Tsung, and Quan Chi and thus obtained Quan Chi's amulet, the final piece of his power, becoming the antagonist. Only a few warriors remained to combat against the Dragon King and his forces. Shujinko eventually triumphed over the Dragon King and removed his threat to the Mortal Kombat universe.

In Mortal Kombat: Armageddon the catastrophe known as Armageddon starts. Centuries before the first Mortal Kombat, Queen Delia foretold the realms would be destroyed in an event known as Armageddon. King Argus had his sons, Taven, the protagonist of the game, and Daegon, put into incubation who would one day be awakened to save the realms from Armageddon. In the end, however, because Blaze's design has been corrupted by Onaga's holy men, Taven's victory over Blaze does not destroy the combatants or strip them of their powers, instead increasing the powers of the fighters, potentially exacerbating the onset of Armageddon. As a result, Taven will make it his duty as a new god to delay Armageddon until a solution can be found.

In Mortal Kombat (2011), it is revealed that the battle between the warriors of the six realms culminated into only two survivors: Shao Kahn and Raiden. Badly beaten, Raiden had only one last move he could make to prevent Shao Kahn from claiming the power of Blaze. He sends last-ditch visions of the entire course of the Mortal Kombat timeline to himself in the past right before the tenth Mortal Kombat tournament (first game). This transfer of information to his former self causes a rift in time, causing a new "reboot" timeline to be introduced that splits off from the original Armageddon timeline, with a new outcome of Mortal Kombat history to be written. But this story leads to even worse unforeseen events. It ends with many of the main game characters dying at the hands of Queen Sindel and eventually Raiden accidentally kills Liu Kang in self-defense. Eventually, the Elder Gods aid Raiden in killing Shao Kahn and saving Earthrealm. But as the scene goes on it is later revealed that this was all a plan by Lord Shinnok and Quan Chi.

And now, a new chapter has been announced...

Quote:
  • New characters are:
D'Vorah (Bug lady)
Ferra/Torr (The big guy is Torr, the rider is a short lady named Ferra)
Kotal Kahn (Aztec-looking dude)
Cassie Cage (Daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade)
  • The meter bar from MK9 is back, so expect Breakers, X-Rays, and Enhanced Specials to return.
  • Every fighter has three fighting styles called "Variations". Each variation offers exclusive moves/combos. For example Scorpion can choose Ninjutsu to fight with his swords or he can choose Hellfire to use fire-based attacks and projectiles.
  • Boon also confirmed the game is running native 1080p, 60fps (PS4). Not sure about the Xbox One.
  • The game also takes place immediately after MK9 and spans the course of 25 years so expect a lot of new characters and possibly older returning characters.
Thanks Camera Obscura!

Built on a highly customized Unreal 3 engine, the game is promised to run at 60fps 1080p. All three days of the upcoming E3 will be full of MKX info.

Last edited by jarekhanzelka; 11-06-14 at 04:10.
jarekhanzelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 15:32   #2
dream raider

Cool announcement! But where's everyone else? Skorpion and Sub are overrated.

Soooo glad we're getting a next-gen MK, last one was AMAZING
dream raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 15:38   #3
NeoMetalSonic

Trailer is great, but the music is... UGH!

Need to install my physical PC copy of MK9....
NeoMetalSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 15:39   #4
jarekhanzelka

Say what you will about Sub, but Scorpion is amazing.

As for the others, I'm pretty sure some of them will pop up in the next video.
And I KNOW RIGHT?! I mean, I dunno what am I excited about since they didn't say anything about a possible PC version yet, but I can daydream. In the meantime, I'll just continue playing MK 9. I never really stopped playing since the PC release last year, it's that good. ʘ‿ʘ
Old 02-06-14, 15:42   #5
NeoMetalSonic

I'm sure they'll release a PC version sooner or later. There's no reason not to do it. How's PC online, it is alive and well? I think it's time to put this dvd in the driver and install it.
NeoMetalSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 15:58   #6
jarekhanzelka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMetalSonic View Post
I'm sure they'll release a PC version sooner or later. There's no reason not to do it. How's PC online, it is alive and well? I think it's time to put this dvd in the driver and install it.
Can't comment on the online state of things as I haven't touched that part of the game in months. Lately it's just me and a friend having regular battles both against eachother and against expert CPU on tag ledders.
Old 02-06-14, 16:02   #7
Johnnay

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/m...&**********=fb

It will be coming to PC in 2015. Happy Now

As well as PS3/4 360/ONE as well
Johnnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 16:20   #8
Babou

Who did that song in the trailer? And why? Doesn't really fit with whats going on
Babou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 16:54   #9
robm_2007

That was a cool trailer.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 17:15   #10
lcroft_lc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream raider View Post
Soooo glad we're getting a next-gen MK, last one was AMAZING
Next-gen is now current-gen!

Quote:
Trailer is great, but the music is... UGH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babou View Post
Who did that song in the trailer? And why? Doesn't really fit with whats going on
That is Wiz Khalifa, whom Ed Boon teased a few days ago of.
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote