Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 26-04-18, 12:38   #11
Vaskito

"My Lara" is the Reboot/ROTTR Lara. I'm in love with her. I'm fascinated by her, actually. I love her for how smart she is. How she cares about friends like they are family. How she does anything to protect them. I love her for how determined she is, and how far she's willing to go for what she believes in. How she finds strength to keep moving, despite all the odds. How she gets up even when she's hurt. I love the way she gets fascinated with the stuff she finds, and how geeky she is about history, and myths. How she interprets the relics she finds. I love how brave she is when she faces her enemies.

I love her for her flaws as well. I love her short temper and how she's foul-mouthed when she's pissed. When she trips and falls, sometimes as a result of her stubbornness

If this Lara didn't exist, my second Lara is the LAU one. She also has a short-temper, and she is still fascinating with her general attittude

Last edited by Vaskito; 26-04-18 at 12:44.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 14:41   #12
PlumeEcarlate.

Quote:
the one whose unique characteristics makes you today and forever adore the character. ...

Ha ha, I would have been extremely surprised that the criteria making you love Lara reside only in her blue top and her voice approaching this or that actress ...

It would be like a person who cheers that he likes Tomb Raider because "there is a busty girl."

So of course YeauxLeaux It is a deciphered and ideal behavior that I ask to receive from you all. ^^

I really like your analysis. Although she can lend itself to the speculation, it is extremely receptive for a character without limit that is Lara. Many people like you are concentrating on a psychology whose cogs have found a driving force in the sadness, loss, mourning, and despair whose the Lara of Core and Legend have both been victims of in their childhood or their life of young adult. Which explains by a phenomenon of cause and effect, a visceral desire to push one's limits, to tame the toughest and most insurmountable trials to fill the decay of the past.

But in fact, although it may surprise you, I have never felt that this desire for adventure and pushing the limits had something to do with "a malfunction". For me, what I like to believe ... Is that Lara Croft was born that way ... And that the death of her parents, her fiancée, the disappearance of her mother, whatever the versions, have everything simply been a springboard indicator of her path to follow. "A sign of destiny" if we can say, allowing her for once to find a real and valid justification for her thirst for freedom and adventure, in the old days well desired before her misfortunes, by her studies, her books, her researches .... Just her passion. I see these gymnastics prowess only as a personal amusement, a natural agility from which she inherited and who has always been in her fiery and sporty personality. Not a constraint under a tragic background to "be the best". ^^

In this, I do not think that it corresponds to Lara to consider herself as "the best" ... The best "version of herself" is perhaps true. But if this value is exacerbated only to compare oneself with others, I think that we moves away a lot from the character. Because, Lara acts for herself, and cares too little about the opinion of others.

Nor do I believe that a repression of the world of aristocracy really took place. Lara only thinks about the non-libertarian aspect that such a legacy of laws, of thoughts, of preoccupation has abandon behind her ... If she did not reside in the LAU univers thanks to Richard Croft and his profession, it was a very different situation in the Core era, which did not seem to bring any considerations to Lara's plans. Which will have made her leave the family cocoon for a definitively individualistic life. But as Toby Gard reminds, Lara remains a refined woman who loves luxury and comfort, in itself, there is no pushback for what the benefits of the aristocracy has shared to her days after days.

Now we can come to my question "Who is your Lara Croft ?"

Well ... If I could designate an ideal Lara Croft for games, I'll naturally focus today, like Nigel Cassidy, on Legend's Lara. I chatted with Lily.J yesterday about how this version has been so popular here in France. I consider as some people that Lara Legend has absolutely transcended the character of Lara Croft by making her more modern, while never betraying the past. It was a human Lara with credible thoughts, credible motives, credible emotions and charming sentences. In this, outside the sphere of video games, it is probably this Lara Croft more accessible and alive that I would have liked to see in the cinema, because the too introverted of Core would not have survived in a context of 2 hours on big screen. (If I put aside the Angel of Darkness)

However ... The Lara Croft which resides in me and which is in my head is very different from the one of Legend and this time coming closer to the Core one, in her gestures, her behavior, her look.

I imagine this woman as very thin, like a woman whom you could meet in the street, but who marks you by a more singular and atypical fashion style, more liberated and incredibly refined. This woman would be silent, and look at her entourage with a mischievous eye, an equally malicious smile on her lips. Her eyes extremely feline would be hidden by discreet sunglasses very light, red colors. Her hair is smooth and appears to be intense red in the sun. But this is a brunette woman.

This woman would be strangely physically scarcely marked despite her extraordinary abilities, making her more intriguing ... No protruding muscles, visible wounds on her discovered skin. Making her very unreal, almost came out from another world.
Speaking to her, this woman seems amused, full of wit, analyzes you from head to foot with distance, restraint ... Perhaps by prudence ? Her amusement would come from by the fact that she finds daring that you can speak to her, by her high gaze and her distant looks, she would seem to appreciate better than we can look at her, without necessarily coming dock her. She knows herself intimidating, and although she sometimes does not want to, she prefers to remain it in the eyes of others. Each of her sentences and answers are systematically approached by a light cynicism, balanced by a pleasant irony, sometimes vivifying, spiritual, cutting as much as gently critical. Minutes after minutes, your relationship with her will not seem to change her feelings towards you. She will see you exactly the same way as the first seconds where she met you, without getting to know you in depth, and will cut the discussion sharply, but kindly, addressing a last malicious smile before leaving and disappear forever .

That deep look hidden under those red glasses, her long, half-brown, half-red hair dancing in the wind and her light, ironic phrases ... Will never leave you forever.

As a bonus, this Lara had absolutely no oversized chest, but very discreet or quite normal. Maybe I'm the only one, but I've always considered Lara's chest to be absolutely ridiculous and having stained the reputation of Tomb Raider and Lara over the ages. It has no consideration for me, and I would like to hope that it could be the same for you. ^^

Quote:
My Lara" is the Reboot/ROTTR Lara. I'm in love with her. I'm fascinated by her, actually.

It makes me happy to see and read Lara fans from the reboot. Even if I hated her very vulgar and selfish version in Rise, I would have absolutely loved the first big-hearted version of the first episode. ^^

(I'm still shocked that Lara is literally "spitting" on Anna. Lara Croft, spitting on her ennemies. I could never have imagined that. )

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 26-04-18 at 14:56.
PlumeEcarlate. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 14:54   #13
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumeEcarlate. View Post
(I'm still shocked that Lara is literally "spitting" on Anna. Lara Croft, spitting on her ennemies. I could never have imagined that. )
Well, Anna was teasing and making fun of her, right after revealing she was with Trinity. We didn't have any emotional connection to Anna, because we barely got to see and know her, but Lara knows her since she was a kid. It was like a knife cutting through. I like that Lara doesn't act lady-like all the time, even though she's from an aristocratic family. Lara got pretty mad, and the only way she could "hurt" Anna was that way, since she was tied up
Old 26-04-18, 14:59   #14
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
You know, when I saw it coming from a mile away I was actually thinking: 'don't do it, don't do it, that would be so cliche'. And then of course she did it...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-18, 15:09   #15
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
You know, when I saw it coming from a mile away I was actually thinking: 'don't do it, don't do it, that would be so cliche'. And then of course she did it...
Cliche. I see you throwing the word around, but what would actually be cliche was if she stood quited and dropped a witty line. It way more cliche than a "Lady" dropping the lady-act.
"Hey-o, you're like a mother to me since I was a child. You just betrayed me and my family and mocked me. Let me keep it cool and drop a quick joke about it, shall I?"
Old 26-04-18, 15:22   #16
PlumeEcarlate.

The problem is the contrast of Lara's reaction to what the player had seen coming from the beginning ... This betrayal is unsurprising because pulling scriptwriting strings and using staging that are not very original. (Anna, tied up in front of her, begging her "to give them what they want")

So while Lara is neurotic, out of breath, and swearing all the time ... A large majority of players will say, " Wait Lara ... Do not tell me you did not see it coming ? "

The problem is precisely the total emotional disinterest that we maintain towards Anna compared to Lara ... A simple hug at the beginning between the two at the introduction could have made the difference, but Anna was only rejected and relegated to the background by Crystal Dynamics.

It is from this moment that the behavior of Lara in the game will have completely repelled me, because the pain of this betrayal will continue throughout the game in Lara while the player, will wait that she comes to her senses, which will never be the case.

Like you, I adore this Lara Croft a lot. I find that it's just a shame that she remains only upset after this betrayal.

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 27-04-18 at 18:33.
Old 26-04-18, 15:37   #17
Vaskito

Quote:
The problem is the contrast of Lara's reaction to what the player had seen coming from the beginning ... This betrayal is unsurprising because pulling scriptwriting strings and using staging that are not very original. (Anna, tied up in front of her, begging her "to give them what they want")

So while Lara is neurotic, out of breath, and swearing all the time ... A large majority of players will say, " Wait Lara ... Do not tell me you did not see it coming ? "

The problem is precisely the total emotional disinterest that we maintain towards Anna compared to Lara ... A simple hug at the beginning between the two at the introduction could have made the difference, but Anna was only rejected and relegated to the background by Crystal Dynamics.

It is from this moment that the behavior of Lara in the game will have completely repelled me, because the pain of this betrayal will continue throughout the game in Lara while the player, will wait that she come to her senses, which will never be the case.

Like you, I adore this Lara Croft a lot. I find that it's just a shame that she remains only upset after this betrayal.
I find her getting upset completely understandable. As I've said, Anna was like a mother to her. She's been with her father since she was a little girl. A betrayal of this magnitude can't just be shrugged off. Also, between the betrayal scene and the end of the game, only 2 days or something had passed. Also, Lara isn't too focused in it, unless when she meets Ana face to face again
Old 26-04-18, 15:42   #18
PlumeEcarlate.

There is no skid on what is understandable or not ... Everything that is built in the scenario is meaningful. ^^

But to be bearer of meaning is one thing, to be seductive is another ... And I would personally love that Lara can evolve more significantly in the game. ^^

Last edited by PlumeEcarlate.; 26-04-18 at 17:31.
Old 26-04-18, 17:00   #19
Daring Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
"My Lara" is the Reboot/ROTTR Lara. I'm in love with her. I'm fascinated by her, actually. I love her for how smart she is. How she cares about friends like they are family. How she does anything to protect them. I love her for how determined she is, and how far she's willing to go for what she believes in. How she finds strength to keep moving, despite all the odds. How she gets up even when she's hurt. I love the way she gets fascinated with the stuff she finds, and how geeky she is about history, and myths. How she interprets the relics she finds. I love how brave she is when she faces her enemies.

I love her for her flaws as well. I love her short temper and how she's foul-mouthed when she's pissed. When she trips and falls, sometimes as a result of her stubbornness

If this Lara didn't exist, my second Lara is the LAU one. She also has a short-temper, and she is still fascinating with her general attittude
1000000% this!! Reboot Lara is my fave!

Though if I’m honest “my” Lara are these two idiots:
Daring Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-18, 14:44   #20
godmodder

My Lara is the classic - stuck while climbing? let's cut the rope and figure the rest out later - type of woman. Cold and calculated while working, with a soft spot for old men carrying tea trays and wearing saturno hats. She has tits and is not afraid to wield them to gain an advantage. Deal with it. Any man who dares to belittle her would soon bite the dust anyway. Pain? Just an instictive groan and... we're moving on already. No crying over spilt milk. Rejected by her family, fought free. Travelling accross the globe, a few friends to keep her sanity intact, as islands in a gigantic ocean of loneliness. Expert in weapons and anything archeology. Not to make a detailed excavation or to preserve ancient artifacts, but to shamelessly put the trophy in your mansion knowing that she was the one who was there and lived, breathed in the same room where only a thousand years earlier humans had been.
godmodder is offline   Reply With Quote