Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 15-02-17, 21:05   #1
ANoDE
Golden

Default TR1: Winplay.dll API

Hi,

I'm fooling around with the ATI patch for Tomb Raider 1, and I was thinking if it would possible to use the HD FMVs instead of the original RPL files. I've written a small replacement for Winplay.dll just to test which methods are called, and as of now it seems that game only uses a subset of them. Unfortunately, I have no clue about which parameters the methods receive and what they should return. Does anybody know more about that?
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 11:41   #2
Glidos

How far did you get with this? Two points come to mind.

You don't necessarily need to implement everything. You can pass all the calls onto the real winplay.dll with just one little alteration. Just hook the call that passes in the file path, stall that call and while stalling, play the alternative mp4 (or whatever video). Then pass on the call but with an altered file path that points to a zero duration RPL file. That was the game thinks it is playing the video, but it's just very short. That's what I do in Glidos (although it isn't winplay.dll in that case).

It may be possible to find details of the API from games of that era that have been open sourced.
Glidos is offline   Reply With Quote