Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 07-04-17, 13:22   #51
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
I like all of Chronicles levels almost equally, because this TR game had real atmosphere in all levels. They may be short levels which has been mentioned a lot, but they are unforgettable

Mind you if you had to push me on which one I like best, and that would be Spooky Island in Ireland, again due to the creative use of the look of the levels, the creepy music, and the journey of Young Lara interacting with all those creepy characters

Ant the conclusive proof that I like Chronicles, is that I replay it often
Spot on! Bravo!
Glad to see a fellow Chronicles-lover around here!
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 16:27   #52
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakzunamuhn View Post
Russia: I grow fond about the Russian captain, but the gameplay still's meh. Except for the diving sequence, but it's so tiny.
And thank god for that , because they couldn't have made it worse , even if they tried . Not to mention the visuals of it , it looked super artificial and fake , hell even TR2 managed to convey a far far better mood of being deep beneath the sea in 40 fathoms .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 20:04   #53
benjamin_2010

Ah, Chronicles. I have a lot of strong memories of playing this game as a kid. I was already a TR fan at that time and so I anxiously awaited news about the next TR (after they 'killed off Lara' in TR4).

I think I really liked this game as a youngster because the first two areas are not super difficult. It had a lot of playability to me. Still, I was not the best TR player back then, and used cheat codes to travel to levels I wanted to see/have all the weapons in my inventory.

THAT said, I could not figure out how to make the level skip controls work in this game (activated through the main menu). I remember thinking I would be willing to pay somebody money and play through the game so I could get to the ultra-cool VCI levels. lol..

It's hard for me to rank them but I'll give it a shot:
1) VCI
2) Rome
3) Submarine
4) Ireland

The Ireland levels are super cool and have some of the best environment of any TR locale, but I was not and still am not impressed with the Young Lara idea. I also find the level design, at times, to be highly awkward and un-navigable.
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 15:02   #54
michaeldt

1- VCI: Although obviously ripping off The Matrix, these levels felt really refreshing, and the level design got very creative, especially in Escape With the Iris.

2- Ireland: Love the art style of these levels

3- Russia: Probably the section with the best storyline

4- Rome: Utter crap when I look back on it tbh
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 19:17   #55
Anakzunamuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
And thank god for that , because they couldn't have made it worse , even if they tried . Not to mention the visuals of it , it looked super artificial and fake , hell even TR2 managed to convey a far far better mood of being deep beneath the sea in 40 fathoms .
Well, even sleeping with the fishes it's much better. But it's the only "water section" in the whole game. And it's the only one in the Core era when you don't have to be worried about the air, this means free exploration in very deep waters... I feel as the only new thing that could have save Russia.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 22:43   #56
Patrick star

^Except in the return trip , her oxygen tank breaks and you have limited air again .

The biggest offender is the visuals I suppose , next comes the clumsiness of the movements with the diving suit then that annoying underwater machine firing burning stuff at Lara (what was their names ? ) , that section should've been all a cutscene , of course with a proper dark shade to the whole area to make it look like an actual deep underwater place , not just a few meters beneath the surface .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-17, 02:49   #57
Anakzunamuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
that section should've been all a cutscene , of course with a proper dark shade to the whole area to make it look like an actual deep underwater place , not just a few meters beneath the surface .
Or maybe something more similar to Mediterranean Sea in Underworld.
Anakzunamuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 09:15   #58
Saint Sophie

Ireland. They still lack something, but the atmosphere makes up for it seriously.

Russia... I absolutely love the sinking submarine.

VCI levels.

Rome. A complete bunch of arse.
Saint Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote