Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Closed Thread

Old 26-08-10, 23:16   #21
psiko

sure, it is all helpfull I do not like that much the flipmap trick, but it could be ok if this is the only solution.. but maybe it could work with less painfull features like triggering/antitriggering some invisible raising block below the path (invisible themselves or substituted with a meshswap..) or maybe invisible trapdoors... both trapdoors either raising blocks have "no collision" when not activated, so they won't influence the path.. I say this for a flipmap could be too heavy in resources sometimes... so it could be nice to know if other solutions could work...

anyhow, what about if lara makes a forward jump reaching a sector before the platform itself? with the flipmap solution she would reach an invisible sector.. or am I missing something..?

EDIT: ok, I saw the globaltrigger with a distance from the object, so if she jumps forward she *could" be far from the platform and antitrigger the flipmap, right?..

Last edited by psiko; 26-08-10 at 23:30.
Old 27-08-10, 06:42   #22
Raymond

Yes, you are missing something, The flipmap is only triggered in the moment Lara is on the platform. As soon as she is leaving the platform, the flipmap is untriggered. So Lara can only stand on the platform and nowhere else.
Your trapdoor-solution wouldn´t work. The collision would be blocky and too big or miss some parts of the platform. It`s basically the same as if you want put dummy triggers below the path. And 1 flipmap isn´t really a heavy ressource, compared to 324 trapdoors I would have to use for another of my platform-features, where the platform moves with WASD-controls freely in a 18x18 sector room. I believe, this would be really painful.
So to say it straight, you won´t find any better solution like mine with the current engine means.
Old 27-08-10, 08:05   #23
tombraider1703

I'm definately going to use the horizontal platforms in one of my levels, thank you
Old 27-08-10, 08:34   #24
psiko

I edited my post before you replied :P I saw the flipoff for the flipmap
Anyhow, a WASD control for the platform would be wonderful
Old 27-08-10, 10:53   #25
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I´m just curious: Is there anyone, who understands my two examples (platform, puzzle item) and intends someone to use it?
I have looked at both and I absolutely understand the moving platform example.
I already had an idea in which Lara grabs a moving horizontal chain, as if she were on a moving parallelbar, so this example might come in handy.
Also another idea just came to mind which could be used in the level I'm working on now...
Btw, am I right in thinking that you do need to use the "twoblock platform" slot for this? Because that slot can have solid collision for Lara to stand on the platform?

The first example looks more complicated to me but I think I understand it, at least the whole "why are those things needed to make it work?" part, with the variables and all.
I'll just have to try and make it work myself. The explanations look clear enough so I should be able to reproduce it.
Old 30-08-10, 17:43   #26
Raymond

If you analyze the turn switch with the diagnostics, then you`ll, that Lara does animation 350 for the counter clockwise movement and 347 for the clockwise motion. This will be used later.

1. Trigger events in dependence of the facing of the turn switch
You can read the facing o the turn switch in the item memory zone of the switch (Facing Horizontal).
You can copy this facing to a choosen common variable and then you can then trigger your wished triggers with the help of 4 GT´s (one for each direction) in dependence of the value of the choosen common variable (for instance if you want to open one door for each direction and close the others in a setup with four doors).
Another possible use of this would be to have several switches, where each switch has to be turned in a certain direction to trigger a certain event (open a door for instance). For each switch you would trigger a flipeffect to set a certain bit in a variable, if the facing is correct and clear the bit for all other directions. Then you create a GT, which opens the door, if all bits are set(all switch are turned in the right direction).

2. Move/turn another object in conjunction with the turn of the switch
You could export a TG as animcommand in the first frame of animation 347 (clockwise turn), which contains a flipeffect to turn/move another object with an action trigger in a certain direction and the move/turn it in the counter direction for animation 350.
If you move an object, you would have to set limits of the motion. You could do this by exporting another flipeffect in our TG, which adds/substracts 1 to/from another variable (B). Then you export conditions as first triggers in the TG above, so that the movement trigger is only executed up to certain values of B (lets say bigger then -8 and smaller then 8). So you can move the object only 8 times in each direction relative to its initial position.
Old 31-08-10, 22:27   #27
KurtisandLara
Golden

Great work here Raymond ! Keep it up !
Old 01-09-10, 17:16   #28
Raymond

I´m again interested in feedback. I know, that several people requested about the turn switch. I´m always willing to expand and give answers to questions, if you have done your homework (study the basics about variables, GT´s and such).
Old 01-09-10, 17:20   #29
Scurvy

I'll be experimenting with these, when i find a case in which i can put them
Old 04-09-10, 22:01   #30
disapearing-boy

I'm curious about the horizontal ledges, I will try your setup but I'm wondering what happens when Lara tries to grab the edge of the moving platform? Does she move with it or stay motionless while the ledge continues moving?

I tried something before with vertical moving platforms. When Lara grabbed the ledge, she would remain exactly in the spot where she grabbed the ledge while the ledge kept moving upwards. I never used any scripting or any TRNG features though, just the standard LE. So I guess what i'm asking is whether it's possible to have grabbable moving vertical ledges?
Closed Thread