Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 10-10-17, 22:16   #51
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I agree. The one thing I didn't complain about in Legend was the story, and if you finished Legend and played TRU next, you would wonder what happened?

Obviously TRA happened, and for some reason they decided to shoehorn Natla into a story that was obviously never supposed to have Natla.
The whole trilogy was poorly written imo.

The first reason (not really CD's fault so it's kind of forgivable to an extent) is that they clearly didn't know Anniversary was happening while making Legend. Had they known, they could have tied the games together a bit smoother. Chronologically, Lara found "Atlantis" (lost remnants of a prehistoric global civilisation + the Queen) in 1996. If CD had known that was the direction they were going while making Legend, they could have done subtle nods to Anniversary in Legend... have Lara question the signs she's seeing of global myths and prehistoric links between cultures, and wonder if the daises are linked to the Atlantean culture maybe.

Fast forward to Underworld, that's another problem entirely. Even with the faults between Legend and Anniversary, there were plenty of ideas there they just didn't use. I'm not mad at Natla appearing in Underworld, I just think she could have been used better.

I think it would have been so much better if the following happened. The first half of the game (up until halfway through Mexico) was largely the same. From there, she finds Thor's hammer earlier (continuing the theme of the "Legendary ruler-warrior weapon" artefacts that was started in Legend) and she uses it to open a portal to "Avalon". Avalon then conveniently doubles-up as Natla's lost civilisation from Anniversary (perhaps Lara goes back in time too, to when it was at it's height or time of downfall). A few levels take place there, maybe Natla and Amanda follow her, and she can still find her mother there among that, and how that ends might be different. There's a whole list of possible ideas and tangents that could go off on that would be more interesting than what we got.

That would have tied the three games together so much nicer than the wild tangents Underworld went on. I really don't know why they didn't think of this.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 10-10-17 at 22:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 15:58   #52
DragonSlayer

Metal Gear Solid the Phantom Pain nuff said, Skull Face was a lame bad guy one mission had me sitting in a jeep for 10 minutes listening to him drone on and on about some nonsense about vocal cord parasites, Skull Face is the worst bad guy ever, he would be a very bad James Bond bad guy, even the worst James Bond bad guy is better than Skull Face speaking of Bond villians my least favourite Bond villians was that British guy in Die Another Day I really wanted to punch his head to a pulp.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 16:05   #53
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Metal Gear Solid the Phantom Pain nuff said, Skull Face was a lame bad guy one mission had me sitting in a jeep for 10 minutes listening to him drone on and on about some nonsense about vocal cord parasites, Skull Face is the worst bad guy ever, he would be a very bad James Bond bad guy, even the worst James Bond bad guy is better than Skull Face speaking of Bond villians my least favourite Bond villians was that British guy in Die Another Day I really wanted to punch his head to a pulp.

"something something lan-guage...something something parasites"
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 16:52   #54
domino92

I think this debate is misguided... or at the very least starts out on the wrong foot.

Don't get me wrong, there are poorly written stories in games. Either due to actually badly written dialogue or because key scenes were cut due to executive decision making or time constraints.

But some games put little to no emphasis on their storytelling, or do storytelling minimally. Or tell good stories by telling bad ones.

Silent Hill uses bad acting to make scenes uncomfortable. Doom barely has a story at all to focus on gameplay. Resident Evil's overarching story is nonsensical, but the individual stories, especially earlier on, are small and more modest, telling more personally terrifying tales.

So I'm not sure this thread topic really says what it wants to say. Maybe "game stories that fell flat" or "game stories that seemed great in trailers but poor in execution"? I dunno, I just don't think anyone is on the same page here.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 22:13   #55
ancientIo

I would say this applies to games that are more story driven. If there's no story there's barely anything to dislike.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 23:09   #56
Johnnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Tekken 7, hands down.
100%. Worst Tekken story ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
As much as I love them, the Classic Tomb Raider games did not have very good stories. The only good ones were TRI and TRIV IMO. Out of all the Classics, I have to say TRIII was the weakest. There was almost no back story behind each artifact, and the story is only explained through brief cut scenes. Fortunately, the game excels in other areas which makes up for the lack of story. But I wish they would've included more back story behind each artifact. And the TRIII's story is too similar to TRI too.

The Resident Evil series had some messy stories too. I'm not a big fan of Resident Evil 0's story at all. It just made a big mess out of Rebecca's story before entering the Mansion. This game was supposed to be from the point of view of the Bravo team, except they hardly make an appearance in it. And there was some stuff that made no sense at all. Like how the Research Training Facility was supposedly connected to the RE2 Underground Lab. I know this was done for fan service, but it just made the story a mess.

I kind of disagree with you about TR3. Yes parts of it are weak but with some sense we purposely know the story when we dig down the game although it’s not properly explained to us.

0’s Story is messed up as is the gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
This isn't an excuse either . TR4 was also developed in one year , just like TR 2 & 3 .
And The team for TR4 was somewhat different and bigger from the one which did TR3 at least from the sources I read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
TR20th book isn't the only source tbh. According to THIS interview with some ex-Core members TR4 was already in production when TR2.5 was confirmed as TR3.

Anyway, personally I think classics are not the best when it comes to story (apart from TR1, TR4 and TRAOD), but they are good at providing historical background. Generally if you check history of places you can find something interesting most of the time.

But the game which really excels at having bad story are:

Tomb Raider Underworld - it is awfully cliche, with pointless characters that never develop. Also adding Natla and doppelganger was an awful move. DLCs only make it worse.

TR2013 - actually the idea itself was very good, but the execution of it was quite cringeworthy, which makes everything even more sad.

Arcania - A Gothic Tale - a game which breaks nearly everything in LORE, destroys a lovely polytheic religion with three gods and gives one ****ty half-naked goddess. Then the rest of the story is all about running about or killing skeletons and there's really nothing of the charm the first three games had.

Risen 2 - a cringeworthy adventure with "pirate-like" themes where everything is a copy-paste of Gothic 2: Night of the Raven, just longer. Generally everything from Piranha Bytes after Gothic 3 consists of constant clones with little to no innovation. Not a really bad game, just bit sad.

Oblivion - it's basic af. King wants to to chase bad guys (a cult obviously and demons to make it more "dramatic"), someone kills the king, you need to kill the bad guys + there's a dragon. Pretty much it.

I'd say Ultima IX is very close, but I haven't finished it yet. So far it's rather basic in both story and gameplay though.
Yet despite it being developed same time as TR3 it was crap lol

From a TR View

TR1’s Story is great, one thing is no one knew there was supposed to be an extra level after the great pyramid but the end everyone assumed a huge slide would be the end so it works both ways I guess.

TR2’s Story is the weakest of the classics ( and possibly the series), too much gameplay barely any conversation Lara had in the game ( only two cut scenes). And the fact that those cutscenes didn’t explain much and the gameplay barely provided a story makes it weak, heck even TR1 offered more dialogue/ interaction of her than this game).

TR3’s one is much better than TR2. Although it is similar to TR1 it isn’t too similar ( finding more than 1 artifact, different locations to get them,) but in contrast to TR2 there is a lot more interaction in cutscenes which does provide a much better view of the story/what she’s doing) than TR2 but like TE2, the gameplay doesn’t provide much to the story (besides end of Thames Wharf dropping in a hole in a church ending up in a train station).., that was ****ed up.

Also what ****ed up TR3s one in a way is TLA. We all know mutated William exploded in that explosion at Metrorite Cavern, yet in TLA when she gets out of the cavern, the story tell us that Lara seeing all of a sudden...human William, in pain and then death... WHEN HE GOT EXPLODED IN TR3 AS A MUTANT, What also ****ed the situation is Sophia Leigh, magically revived WHEN SHES DEAD IN TR3.. (Facepalm).

TR4’s story and reasoning is much better, also the fact that cutscenes can be applied to during a level in contrast to the other 3 TR’s adds extra,

Chronicles is decent, one very bad thing was the “supposed deaths” of Larson/Pierre in a scenario which takes place before TR1. I like the past/present view of the game, cutscenes of the present (between the gentlemen) and the cutscenes of the past

AOD I don’t need to speak of, everyone knows

Legends one is decent for a reboot, although almost every level is in a different location and a different environment like TR3, the story fared better

Anniversary: horrible

Underworld.. bad, marks shouldn’t be there and the DLC isn’t necessary because it was only out on 360 so it ****ed up the story in a way

Haven’t played Reboot TR’s

Last edited by Johnnay; 14-10-17 at 23:17.
Johnnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 23:23   #57
domino92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
I would say this applies to games that are more story driven. If there's no story there's barely anything to dislike.
Fair enough.

In that case, I'd like to nominate Beyond: Two Souls. Man, that game was steaming garbage. Why it has a following here on TRF baffles me sometimes.
domino92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-17, 23:28   #58
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnay View Post
100%. Worst Tekken story ever
Definitely! It's sad that they hyped the story so much, too.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote