www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 08-11-18, 20:06   #11
LateRaider
Archaeologist

TR:A gets a pass solely cos Larson and Pierre look damn good in it
Old 08-11-18, 20:20   #12
jackraider
Archaeologist

CryD's TRA did not hold up at all. I completed it 100% a few years ago and tried replaying, and honestly had no desire too. The game is so flat with all the desaturated colors. Also, most of the levels I loved in the original where either torn apart, merged with other levels/ area, or missing entirely. And I loved the vividness of Egypt in original, but it is so butchered in CryD's version. Oh, and Atlantis was so much more effective in the original as well. I hated the grappling wall runs in Egypt and Atlantis. So horrible. I think TR 1996 holds up way more. It's just a classic and I play it at least once a year if not more.
Old 09-11-18, 13:07   #13
xdesperado_
Student

I was playing Anniversary a couple of weeks ago. I think it still holds up really well. It’s the entry I most enjoy going back to in the LAU era.

I did like the aesthetics for Atlantis/Lost Island, however some areas were done better in the original - in terms of exploration.

Though the only issues I had were Lara’s bland characteristics & those annoying long corridors. *particularly in the Egypt levels*

Also Lara’s TRA character model is my absolute favourite (alongside the classics of course)

Last edited by xdesperado_; 09-11-18 at 13:13.
xdesperado_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 13:33   #14
_Seth
Historian

Anniversary was, to be frank, a study in what not to do when remaking a game.
Old 11-11-18, 18:38   #15
ESCachuli
Professor

I think Annyversary was only truly better in the Midas and Folly side rooms, and Larson.

Damn, they made Larson very likeable and hot
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 19:18   #16
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Anniversary tops TR1 in puzzles , traps and boss fights , plus the St Francis Folly level in particular .

TR1 beats Anniversary in exploration , intricate layout of most levels' maps , and platforming .

I can't pick one game over the other , they're on equal level for me .
I actually agree with this. The St Francis Folly level is one of the few post-CORE levels that I think truly matches up to some of the best CORE era ones. In fact, dare I go as far as saying I actually prefer the Anniversary St Francis Folly to TR1's. What they did with pretty much all of the side puzzle chambers and the opening hallway was more fleshed out and "developed" than what TR1 did. From what I remember, Sanctuary of The Scion was also better in Anniversary than TR1.

It's not what they usually did, mind you, many levels in Anniversary chopped out a few too many areas from TR1 that should have been there. However, Anniversary's Francis Folly is one of the few that show CD actually can do as good and even better levels than CORE.

With that said though, in some ways I agree with the sentiments expressed by the OP and some of the other posts. Generally speaking, I do find CD's TR games far too streamlined and "dumbed down" in terms of exploration, and this is across both LAU and Reboot. Even Shadow wasn't complex enough for my liking. I do wish they'd really bring back the importance of exploration where you have to really find your way forward, as opposed to having this straight-ahead path that's very obvious.

Part of this is re-introducing levels that are neither huge open-world hubs or strictly linear, but actually something in between. It would be best to re-imagine the way a lot of classic levels were; maze-like, branching with lots of little side areas and mini-hubs, finding certain items necessary to progress in other areas. Throw in plenty of nasty traps. Throw in small bits of challenging combat here and there, not all the time. To me, this is quintessensially Tomb Raider and it should be the modus operandi in designing most (not all) levels for TR games.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-11-18 at 19:27.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 03:13   #17
New Dwight
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Part of this is re-introducing levels that are neither huge open-world hubs or strictly linear, but actually something in between..
something someone need to teach this b*** ass reboot Lara.

AHH!
Old 12-11-18, 04:26   #18
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I think Annyversary was only truly better in the Midas and Folly side rooms, and Larson.

Damn, they made Larson very likeable and hot
"likeable"... i was thinking of a word that starts with f... pierre was made as such too

...i mean friendable, of course! wtf were you all thinking???

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
something someone need to teach this b*** ass reboot Lara.

AHH!
i dont think we were talking about her but thanks for contributing