www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-18, 22:47   #2921
biscuits
Archaeologist
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 1,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn just now. Also gonna play the expansion, I think .
What did you think of it?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 00:47   #2922
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 25,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
What did you think of it?
All in all, it was a fun game. My favourite part was probably the whole backstory/world-building stuff. I liked the whole "historical"/Old Ones element of the plot far better than the "present day" stuff, though. Not that that stuff was bad but some of it felt a bit uninspired/cheesy at times. Gameplay-wise... the combat system was fun and deep and I guess I enjoyed it for what it was but I'm not generally a huge fan of combat gameplay so for me personally it wasn't quite as engaging or fun as it may be for other people who've more into that. The "platforming" mechanics were terrible and far too automated (though to be fair, there also isn't that much of it). Also wasn't a huge fan of the inventory management stuff but I guess all games of this kind have that problem. (And I do sort of get why they do it. I just don't get any enjoyment out of it.) But yeah, all in all I had a good time with it and would recommend it.
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 01:15   #2923
HD Simplicityy
Explorer
 
HD Simplicityy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
All in all, it was a fun game. My favourite part was probably the whole backstory/world-building stuff. I liked the whole "historical"/Old Ones element of the plot far better than the "present day" stuff, though. Not that that stuff was bad but some of it felt a bit uninspired/cheesy at times. Gameplay-wise... the combat system was fun and deep and I guess I enjoyed it for what it was but I'm not generally a huge fan of combat gameplay so for me personally it wasn't quite as engaging or fun as it may be for other people who've more into that. The "platforming" mechanics were terrible and far too automated (though to be fair, there also isn't that much of it). Also wasn't a huge fan of the inventory management stuff but I guess all games of this kind have that problem. (And I do sort of get why they do it. I just don't get any enjoyment out of it.) But yeah, all in all I had a good time with it and would recommend it.
I see your points with this. If you didn't know, HZD is Guerrilla Games'first RPG of any kind; my first experience with their games. I thought, after at first being skeptical then falling in love with the game, they did a awesome job for their first aRPG. I LOVE the worldbuilding. The modern story is kinda cheesy at times, but I think it's still really fun. Climbing is average, but man...it's hard to beat climbable robots for opening up the map instead of your normal Ubisoft tower. I don't have a problem with the inventory EXCEPT that you have far too much of a few items. You can sell them though. Guess Guerrilla needs to re-evaluate that, as well as a lot of other areas for the sequel.

I personally adore the game and will be more than happy to give Guerrilla $60 for the inveitable sequel....just as long as it looks great.
__________________
"One Final Effort is all that remains." Aspiring game writer/developer.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 02:53   #2924
Tomb_of_Darkns
Archaeologist
 
Tomb_of_Darkns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,239
Default

Finished Detroit: Become Human for the first time a couple of days ago and going through my second right now to see different outcomes. I keep seeing on Youtube all these different endings and gameplay sections (I don't watch them for spoilers sake, but i can see thumbnails of things i've never seen) throughout the game that never happened in mine and it's honestly amazing to know that every person playing has had a somewhat different experience. I've never played any of QuanticDreams games before other than Beyond Two Souls (Only cuz it was free for PS Plus) and BTS was fine, not great, but still somewhat enjoyable. However, Detroit was a completely different experience and incredibly fun; It was difficult for me to put the controller down. I know that Heavy Rain is probably a game that is more similar to this so it would be cool to hear how people compare the two.

I know and have seen many people talking crap on David Cage and his over the top/cliche storylines and I guess since I never really experienced his games before until recently, I never had any preconceived notions going in. So maybe that's why I find this game really refreshing and fun, in contrast to how others may perceive it.

I honestly find this game to be one of my favorite games of 2018 so far and I definitely recommend anyone who loves choice based story driven games to pick this up cuz the amount of different ways this game can end is insane. 9.5/10
__________________
They say passion fades, but there is a deeper love once the fire goes away.
Tomb_of_Darkns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 13:14   #2925
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 25,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
I see your points with this. If you didn't know, HZD is Guerrilla Games'first RPG of any kind; my first experience with their games. I thought, after at first being skeptical then falling in love with the game, they did a awesome job for their first aRPG. I LOVE the worldbuilding. The modern story is kinda cheesy at times, but I think it's still really fun. Climbing is average, but man...it's hard to beat climbable robots for opening up the map instead of your normal Ubisoft tower. I don't have a problem with the inventory EXCEPT that you have far too much of a few items. You can sell them though. Guess Guerrilla needs to re-evaluate that, as well as a lot of other areas for the sequel.

I personally adore the game and will be more than happy to give Guerrilla $60 for the inveitable sequel....just as long as it looks great.
Yeah, you can sell them but it can be difficult to ascertain which items you might still need down the road which made the whole thing feel a bit annoying.

I'd also like to add to my previous post that, in terms of game design, the game is relatively generic. It's fun and most of the mechanics and systems are well-done but it's not overly original and from a design standpoint, it feels quite safe. It doesn't do much in the gameplay department that other modern games aren't doing. There are elements of The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Assassin's Creed,... Most of its actual identity comes from its story, its world and its characters. And that's not necessarily a bad thing some of my favourite games have quite generic gameplay - but I do feel like it could be even better if they had gotten a bit more creative/original with the actual game design. Oh and I really hope that they'll make the story more branched in the sequel. Maybe I'm wrong but it felt like most of your choices didn't have all that much of an effect on the overall story.

But yeah, despite my post sounding a bit negative, I do think it's a good game and like I said, I'd definitely recommend it - it's a lot of fun .
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 19:07   #2926
PS3_Gamer
Historian
 
PS3_Gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 432
Default

I finally managed to complete Yakuza 2 after playing on and off for a few months. This is one of the better games for the PS2 in my opinion!
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 19:27   #2927
Samz
Historian
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 342
Default

Tomb raider 3 on my vita (So the PS Version) had to finish Meteorite Cavern without saving.
__________________
"What does it mean to a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 07:27   #2928
HD Simplicityy
Explorer
 
HD Simplicityy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Yeah, you can sell them but it can be difficult to ascertain which items you might still need down the road which made the whole thing feel a bit annoying.

I'd also like to add to my previous post that, in terms of game design, the game is relatively generic. It's fun and most of the mechanics and systems are well-done but it's not overly original and from a design standpoint, it feels quite safe. It doesn't do much in the gameplay department that other modern games aren't doing. There are elements of The Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Assassin's Creed,... Most of its actual identity comes from its story, its world and its characters. And that's not necessarily a bad thing some of my favourite games have quite generic gameplay - but I do feel like it could be even better if they had gotten a bit more creative/original with the actual game design. Oh and I really hope that they'll make the story more branched in the sequel. Maybe I'm wrong but it felt like most of your choices didn't have all that much of an effect on the overall story.

But yeah, despite my post sounding a bit negative, I do think it's a good game and like I said, I'd definitely recommend it - it's a lot of fun .

It does play things safe in some areas, you're right. But remember - this was Guerrilla's first role playing game. They weren't totally sure what to do from the sounds of it. So they went for the safe route from a design standpoint, but took a risk with the setting, premise, and narrative. And to me, it payed off immensely. I don't know if I want a branching story that gives players too many options. Rather have a focused narrative everyone plays. Maybe they can make a few options that don't diverge too much? hmm. Dont know how that works.
__________________
"One Final Effort is all that remains." Aspiring game writer/developer.
HD Simplicityy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 13:27   #2929
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,053
Default

Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation, again. This was a more enjoyable experience and it gave me a new perspective on the game. I love the game a lot more now, and its backtracking (which was always a huge complaint to me) didn’t really bother me at all this time around. It actually benefited the game, I’d say. I think in the long run, possibly due to having already completed the game before, TR3 is harder than TR4 in some ways, which I used to always think wasn’t true.

I’d give it a #4 on my top 10 favorite TR’s list, right behind TR1.
__________________
“Your workforce is about to be delayed.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.