Yes yes yes YES!!
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 15:27   #12
JOHN30011887

So cant wait for this and crash bandicoot on Pc someday
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 22:26   #13
dcw123

Couldn't really remember spyro 1 that well so watched a YT review by a Spyro fan.. and even they said the first game lacked decent level design and was too easy, hasn't aged well etc

From what I remember, and watched online, levels are extremely linear and open, but barren with not a lot to do but collect gems.

I take it the sequels improved on this? I forget.. wasn't there one with a Hunter dude with a bow?.. god knows what animal he was though lol

EDIT : Yeah I watched Spyro 2 on YT and I do remember it now - but it was all those years ago. I was more into Crash.
They definately updated the gameplay and stuff..

Last edited by dcw123; 15-02-18 at 22:40.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-18, 00:35   #14
Uzi master

Spyro 1 could be a bit bare-bones, but the level design itself was overall pretty solid I think, especially the super-charge focused levels. They could be spiced up visually, of course, but I don't think the layouts were an issue.

The boss fights were rather underwhelming compared to the later two games, and could also do to be updated.

But otherwise I'm not sure what else should really be changed about the first; what elements could they add that wouldn't fundamentally change things too much? A more fleshed out plot wouldn't hurt; cutscenes between each world would be a nice addition.

Maybe also add sparx's gem finder ability.

Speaking of gameplay changes in the later games, I think 2 focused a bit too much on it's mini-games and tasks; there were only a handful of orbs obtained by platforming and those were all in the homeworlds. 3 struck a good balance, and the different playable characters added variety while still keeping the core gameplay style.

Unlike Crash 3, which just went overboard with gimmick levels, they were literally half of the games levels.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 23:57   #15
HarleyCroft

Spyro had always handled like a dream His move-set was absolutely perfect for the worlds he visits. Speaking of the worlds, they're super imaginative and dream-like Can't wait to see what they'll be like remastered!

(Although it's true, the games do significantly rise in quality after the first one. Spyro the Dragon is still fun, but they really find their identity in Ripto's Rage/Gateway to Glimmer and Year of the Dragon )

I'm excited for the remastered soundtrack too!
I am so very, very stoked for this project
Hopefully Spyro will be as cute as he was in the classic trilogy, he got kind of homely on the PS2 era

(I'm also curious as to what they'll do with Tara Croft, the Egyptian ruin raiding mouse )
Old 22-02-18, 23:32   #16
BeautifulMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
(I'm also curious as to what they'll do with Tara Croft, the Egyptian ruin raiding mouse )
Tara Drake confirmed
BeautifulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 21:53   #17
_Seth

Replaying the N. Sane Trilogy and I'm increasingly hoping it is NOT Vicarious Visions who are developing this.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 13:23   #18
TRfan23
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Replaying the N. Sane Trilogy and I'm increasingly hoping it is NOT Vicarious Visions who are developing this.
Why do you feel that? They did the Trilogy for Crash really well. Though wasn't keen on the voice acting.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 14:29   #19
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfan23 View Post
Why do you feel that? They did the Trilogy for Crash really well. Though wasn't keen on the voice acting.
Where to begin.

They remade the soundtrack instead of remastering it, made the ice sliding too unforgiving and harder than the original, gave Crash a pill shaped hit/land box instead of a rectangle shaped one which results in him sliding off ledges that he's just barely landed on, added a weird momentum system to the bouncing (ref High Road turtles), made it harder to crouch high jump, amped up the cringey goof-factor with Crash presents the gems and crystals you come out of levels with, generally ****ed up the jumps, and lastly, for a PS4 game that displays so little on screen at any time without trying to look realistic they couldn't hit 60FPS. They also lied about it being a remaster when its clearly a full remake.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 17:38   #20
HarleyCroft

I really appreciate how they remade the Crash soundtracks.. it was an incredible mix of new and familiar and it's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most about the Spyro remaster

Other than that, I can see how the tweaks to the physics engine can be frustrating when it comes to the Crash remaster. It probably won't be a problem when it comes to Spyro because his movements are so fluid, his glide/hover is a lot more forgiving during platforming and the jumping doesn't have to be so precise, especially since Goomba stomping isn't one of his attacks.

What the Crash trilogy got right far outnumbers what it got wrong and I'd trust VV to do right by Spyro
(As long as they bring back Tom Kenny )