Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-07-18, 10:19   #1
Mickybyrne20

Default The 'Naughty Dog Agenda'

So as a company Naughty Dog have been causing some controversy with each game released in the last couple of years. First, with Nadine's gender swaped character portrayal, whilst being greatly overpowered and her relevance to the story almost insignificant, to now having what looks like a steroid abusing potentially pregnant woman in TLOU part 2.

As of recently the whole discussion about Ellie's kiss has just elevated this idea that ND are forcing particular ideas, with a clear political motive.

Some of these I take issue with, others I honestly don't care about. I think this is more a question of does Naughty Dog have an agenda, and is it a bad thing?

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 02-07-18 at 11:34.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:30   #2
biscuits

People have been accusing Naughty Dog of an agenda because of Neil Druckmann himself. He openly supports Anita Sarkeesian and some people call him an SJW cuck. I don't think any of this is "forced" if I'm being honest. Whenever a minority character is added in a game or movie people keep calling it an agenda.

I don't really care that much since I think modern Naughty Dog games are ****, but I don't think they deserve all the backlash for it.
I think games still have a long way to go with LGBT characters to be honest. No one would bat an eye if it was a kiss between Ellie and a boy. They'd instead marvel at how for once, kissing in games doesn't look that awkward.

The game itself doesn't look that impressive either. Those graphics and animations are STUNNING tho . But in terms of gameplay, it looks like the first game, only prettier. I'd buy it for the graphics and animation quality.
It's weird how every other PS exclusive in that conference made TLOU 2 look bland AF. Everything else looks way cooler. I think I want off topic but in short, no I don't think there's an agenda.

Last edited by biscuits; 02-07-18 at 10:42.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:49   #3
robm_2007

They include ethnic minorities, women, over 50s, LGBT, "average Joe hotties" and non-glamourous/non-eroticized depictions of women in their games. The madness! When will the status quo of hetero white male 30 something dark haired gruff voiced I'm too lazy for commas man's men get the respect and attention they deserve? *which is all of it* Even the homosexuals are up in arms.

Note: didn't actually watch the video, but I'm assuming that should cover some of it.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:52   #4
Portugalraider

I will just say that, for a group that is always ranting "what about our freedom of speech", anti-SJWs do seem to complain a lot when others with different ideals use their own freedom of speech.

Both SJWs and anti-SJWs are hypocrites though, but that's what you get when to start leaning towards the extreme sides of politics.

Naughty Dog and any developer are free to tell the kind of stories they want, with the kind of characters they want, while sharing the kinds of morals they want. As are then individuals free to consume or not those stories, liking them or not, and agree with them or not.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 10:57   #5
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
They include ethnic minorities, women, over 50s, LGBT, "average Joe hotties" and non-glamourous/non-eroticized depictions of women in their games. The madness! When will the status quo of hetero white male 30 something dark haired gruff voiced I'm too lazy for commas man's men get the respect and attention they deserve? *which is all of it* Even the homosexuals are up in arms.
The more recent Bioware games also suffered similar backlash for the gay romances, namely Mass Effect Andromeda. People kept accusing Bioware of deliberately making the female characters ugly to pander to SJWs (I hate using that term).
It will eventually pass.
Old 02-07-18, 11:27   #6
matrix54

Inclusivity is an agenda?
Can we lock this thread?
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:32   #7
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
inclusivity is an agenda?
Can we lock this thread?
lol try actually participating in the conversation first, after you've watched the video.

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 02-07-18 at 11:33.
Old 02-07-18, 11:39   #8
Mani_Man

Its dumb, when movies want more diversity...its an agenda, when comics, books, tv shows, games do that...its an agenda.

Have those idiots who scream "Agenda" maybe ever thought about the fact that this stuff is created by diverse people in the first place and that they might WANT to add more diversity?

Its just dumb, the video game community is stupid...end of the story.
Give me all the diversion that you can...i want to see the idiots so angry that they foam.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:44   #9
Mickybyrne20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Give me all the diversion that you can...i want to see the idiots so angry that they foam.
But what if these people then won't purchase this game, and other games because they feel they don't like the direction? It couldn't potentially hurt the sales.

Obviously, TLOU won't suffer just because of how big it is, but if this continues and gamers refuse to buy games that produce this kind of content then we'll have a problem.
Old 02-07-18, 11:49   #10
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Its dumb, when movies want more diversity...its an agenda, when comics, books, tv shows, games do that...its an agenda.

Have those idiots who scream "Agenda" maybe ever thought about the fact that this stuff is created by diverse people in the first place and that they might WANT to add more diversity?

Believe it or not, diversity can be achieved in a bad manner. Take Iceman from X-Men for instance. The character was established as a straight male for almost 50 or 60 years. He's had many female lovers over his entire history. Making him gay sort of came out of left field. I've seen backlash over that from the LGBT community as well. Rather than alter a character's history, why not just make new ones? In fact that's exactly what Marvel did before the current age of social media and people getting offended. We had a gay couple in Hulking and Wiccan from the Young Avengers series.
What was great about them was that nobody cared. Marvel didn't make a huge scene by announcing their LGBT characters to the world. They were just there. People read their comic and appreciated it.
My point is, making a big scene out of it does contribute to the backlash. We had A LOT of LGBT superheroes and characters back then. There was hardly any controversy or backlash during that time.
That doesn't justify the disgusting behaviour tho.

Last edited by biscuits; 02-07-18 at 11:50.