Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 13-04-14, 08:46   #481
Lwmte

By the way, great news! TeslaRus just updated engine with BASIC TRIGGER SUPPORT!

In the new engine archive, you now have LEVEL2_trigger.lua file in /scripts/tr1/ directory. This is an example (and very rough) trigger script, but it already shows how easy it is - to write triggers and commands via Lua language. You can easily link ANY function to any item - thus making it possible to remap doors functioning like traps, keyholes like pick-up items, etc. This may seem unnecessary, but it opens HUGE potential for modifying engine behaviour in the future.

Here is the demo of trigger functionality. Note that there is a bug with collapsible floor, but everything else works fine.

Last edited by Lwmte; 13-04-14 at 12:46.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 17:53   #482
Turbo Pascal

Quote:
I saw in your old FexEngine that you had general class for audio stream, and then derived OGG stream class from it; basically what we need in OpenTomb is the same thing, only three different classes for OGG/CDAUDIO.WAD/ADPCM WAVs audio types, am I right?
Well yes, the streaming audio player is the same, just the procedure which fill the audio buffers is different; how to "plug" those different Fill_buffer(abuffer) to the main is your choice.

You can do a main class with Fill_buffer(abuffer) defined as virtual and then derived a new classes from it where you implement Fill_buffer. that way you have toggplayer, tmp3player, twavplayer, etc. The drawback for that aproach is that every new class looks like there are independient from each other. (also you need to use C++ for this aproach, no plain C).

Maybe the choice you would preffer is to add those 3 different procedures to one class and set Fill_buffer as dynamic caller which can be interchanged via pointers. It fit better the triggers way play_soundtrack trigger.

good luck.
Turbo Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 19:03   #483
raiderromero

wow this Project is going faster tan i thought very promising engine
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-14, 22:03   #484
Dustie

This is looking great. And TR1 in accelerated graphics rendering is so pretty.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-14, 15:02   #485
Lwmte

...and we have no any shaders / shadows / lighting effects programmed yet... Imagine how it will look like with all this stuff!

By the way, I got a letter from TeslaRus - he is now already finishing keyholes / switches functionality! All is done in Lua scripts, plus there is task scripting, which allows very flexible timer operation and many more possibilities! So finally we will have proper interaction in levels. Soon there will be update at SF.

So, next thing to implement is (I dare to say it)... inventory?

Last edited by Lwmte; 14-04-14 at 15:03.
Old 14-04-14, 15:32   #486
laralives

Ooh Ensi, I was wondering if perhaps you could make a list of things that need to be done before you consider the engine fully functional...

And a list of things that you had wanted to get done that are now already done to see things with perspective and anticipation of the things that remain...

It seems you all have made so much progress already...Can't wait to see it done!
laralives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-14, 15:42   #487
Lwmte

There IS in fact todo list, it is inside main_SDL.cpp source file, but it is already outdated, since many things were already implemented (sound, animated textures etc.).

Complete functionality... well, look at projects like OpenTTD, it is now fully developed and stable, and yet there are still things to be added. There are lots of things to do, and maybe when TeslaRus finishes scripting functionality, there will be more people involved with development of entity programming (i. e. traps, doors, enemies etc.), since it doesn't require source code access and recompiling binaries every time.
Old 14-04-14, 17:35   #488
TeslaRus

Default triggers

New engine update. LEVEL2.PHD triggers example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7DE...ature=youtu.be

P.S. I forget to add timer var to the scripting, but it is very easy
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-14, 18:09   #489
Dustie

Oh crap, this is going smooth... To be perfectly honest I thought this project would probably go down the drain once you got to programming triggers, which make up the actual gameplay system, but whoa, you're not stopping. And swimming is working too...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-14, 18:14   #490
raiderromero

your work is awesome, if you guys continue like this in some ...not too far away , many things will be ready
raiderromero is offline   Reply With Quote