Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 06-11-14, 01:05   #971
Turbo Pascal

After 10 minutes testing those shapes in floor and ceiling I was unable to reproduce those bug from my side, please send me the tre project to know what you did.
Turbo Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 01:21   #972
Lwmte

I PMed you!
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 10:19   #973
Ado Croft

When I played Jungle level in TR3 I have discovered another wall hole. See the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Mp...ature=youtu.be
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 10:37   #974
Lwmte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado Croft View Post
When I played Jungle level in TR3 I have discovered another wall hole.
Yes, this is another example of persisting TRLE bug with trashed wall sectors. If you look at this broken sector in Fexinspect, by 2D map projection you will see that it contains invalid door, which leads to nowhere. There are another examples as well: room 9 in Caves (TR1), there are trashed doors around the hole leading to a stairway with door. Also, in TR2 Gold, first level - trashed door sectors combined with climbable walls in room 35.

The fact that this garbaged sector floordata bug exists even in TR1 levels (and up to at least TR4) means that Core never bothered fixing that bug in their editor; also it's very possible that in some cases, trashed door sectors is a result of level designer's negligence, because he could simply move the room but forgot to remove invalid doors. You can replicate the same bug in Dxtre3d by connecting two rooms and then move some of the rooms away from the neighbor - while the door will remain in sector, it won't lead to this room anymore.

As I said earlier, this bug was masked out by original TRs, because engine blocked Lara from entering "non-existing" sectors, as if she stumbled into a wall; in OpenTomb, physical world "floats" in infinite space, which results in Lara falling through invalid wall sectors. One of the solution offered by TeslaRus is blocking all wall sectors with walls of a full room height, but this produces another type of bug, where overlapped rooms sometimes block each other from passing through them. So we still think on a proper solution of this ridiculous bug.

Last edited by Lwmte; 06-11-14 at 10:43.
Old 06-11-14, 11:43   #975
Ado Croft

hmm. If I understand it right when Lara goes to some room, the collison model of this room is loaded. Right? Because it explains that problem with overlapping rooms. My solution is to write a function to ignore current door in the wall. I mean you could try to make engine that will be able to disable every portals in walls. But i don't know if it will work.

Last edited by Ado Croft; 06-11-14 at 11:49.
Old 06-11-14, 12:04   #976
Lwmte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado Croft View Post
hmm. If I understand it right when Lara goes to some room, the collison model of this room is loaded. Right? Because it explains that problem with overlapping rooms. My solution is to write a function to ignore current door in the wall. I mean you could try to make engine that will be able to disable every portals in walls. But i don't know if it will work.
No, collision is generated for each room at level loading time. There is a workaround which prevents Lara from being affected by collisions from overlapping rooms (like in TR3 flying saucer), but it has nothing to do with this bug. Only solution is to block out malfunctioning sector somehow, or develop something similar to original TR method, when, if Lara doesn't belong to any room, she's pushed back into last room with stumble state. But I think that in that case we'll face another bugs, like corner bugs and stuck bugs, just like in classics. Personally I don't want to go there anymore!
Old 06-11-14, 14:14   #977
TeslaRus

Default sectors geometry

Quote:
When I played Jungle level in TR3 I have discovered another wall hole. See the video:
Fixed... new code available on SF. I add new condition: if sectors are not portals to each other and one of them has wall flag, then
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 15:19   #978
Dustie

...just bang your head against it
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 23:58   #979
Lwmte

I hope that room collision algorithm is now fully valid (except two things, one of which is Dxtre3d-related, and other is meta2tr-related), so now let's do some funny business...

You know, I'm so dumb when it comes to some physics algorithms, but now, when Bullet debug draw works, I braced myself and tried to prototype Lara's ponytail for the second time. These "chains" that you see hanging on a room ceiling is nothing else but Bullet capsule shapes with constraints. Code is really simple, you just create 6 rigid bodies and then assign two constraints to each one of them - one on the right side, and another on the left - and voila!

Now, I have to learn how to assign actual meshes to Bullet shapes, so we can get real hair meshes hanging from Lara head.
Old 07-11-14, 06:50   #980
Ado Croft

Wau, it would be great if Lara has ponytail there are a lot of tutorials about bullet physic http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=msTZYHP5bzI :-)

Last edited by Ado Croft; 07-11-14 at 07:06.