www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-08-17, 16:21   #11
King Ultra
Explorer

Well,FMVs will always look better than the real game,but I see what you mean with the graphics looking bad sometimes
Old 13-08-17, 17:01   #12
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ultra View Post
Well,FMVs will always look better than the real game,but I see what you mean with the graphics looking bad sometimes
The cutscenes in RotTR aren't FMVs. They use in-game graphics, but the cutscene models of Lara and the other characters are more detailed than the regular models you see during gameplay
Old 13-08-17, 17:48   #13
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It doesn't have to. But grass in general is tricky to render since it's a lot of small objects (if it's not cheap 2D sprites), that's why only a handful of 7th gen games have realistic looking meadows.
Oh. I see.

http://i.imgur.com/rAEV3r1.jpg

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 13-08-17 at 17:49.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 07:33   #14
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emix View Post
Let's not forget that this game is cross-gen.
More open areas = worse graphics.
Is it just me.. or do you guys miss smaller levels too. Large hubs which are empty just bore the heck outta me. TR should stray away from linear paths though - perhaps return to key items and switches to find and unlock new pathways?

I also think hand animation can do wonders too (Naughty Dog even used some for UC4, not solely relying on motion capture)
It tends to look a lot smoother.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 07:38   #15
WhoIAm
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Is it just me.. or do you guys miss smaller levels too. Large hubs which are empty just bore the heck outta me. TR should stray away from linear paths though - perhaps return to key items and switches to find and unlock new pathways?
I always felt the reboot series' areas were either too big and empty, or small and cramped. There's very little in-between, unlike earlier games, which is strange because Crystal themselves got it pretty nicely in Anniversary and Underworld (Legend was too linear).
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 13:16   #16
Fantasy Fan
Student

I think games are better off having several map sections for each large area, that I'm sure would make graphics and performance a lot better, because it's not as much the system has to handle.
Fantasy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-17, 22:28   #17
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
One thing that I notice about this game is how inconsistent the graphics are. Curious to get some opinions on this. This is of the standard PS4 version, btw.

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't have minded some of the graphical features to be scaled back a bit to allow for better picture quality, almost like the X360 version, and potentially it might have been a way to fix the input lag Nixxes chose to put back in Patch 1.6 and never fix again. Thoughts?
Well, what I think happened is, when they released this to PC, they changed the technology on PC by working with Nvidia to produce higher graphic quality. Maybe they didn't put the same effort into Console because they weren't sure of what consoles can produce? Merely theorizing here.
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-17, 10:14   #18
scion05
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
Sometimes the graphics are just flat out crap in itself:

Muahahahaha. That is literally the worst in game model ever seen on a modern console.
Old 15-08-17, 18:02   #19
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
Well, what I think happened is, when they released this to PC, they changed the technology on PC by working with Nvidia to produce higher graphic quality. Maybe they didn't put the same effort into Console because they weren't sure of what consoles can produce? Merely theorizing here.
I'm pretty sure that they knew exactly what the Xbox One and PS4 are capable of. These consoles are just heavily underpowered and simply can't render games with the same graphical fidelity as a PC.
Old 15-08-17, 21:07   #20
AimlessThunder
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scion05 View Post
Muahahahaha. That is literally the worst in game model ever seen on a modern console.
You are kidding, right?