Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-06-22, 17:16   #1
rewak

Default Blade Runner Enhanced Edition

Just released digitally today for all platforms with a limited run physical edition for PS4 and Switch goes on sale tomorrow from Limited Run Games. I played through it once today on PS5 and had a good time revisiting it, I wasn't blown away by the upscaling but they've done all they could with what they had (which was the released game, no source code or files were found). It's a game made to be replayed though as certain things change each time you play and choices you make shift the story in different ways so I'll be doing a few more playthroughs over the weekend I think. For only £8/$10 it's definitely worth it if you like Blade Runner or point and click adventure games!

Last edited by rewak; 23-06-22 at 17:21.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 19:35   #2
dg1995

I remember watching the first movie few years ago and it was a different and weird kind of movie.

I remember reading somewhere that this game managed to outsell Curse Of Monkey Island(Monkey Island 3) when it was released in 1997.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-22, 20:43   #3
Zelda master

Any impressions about the ports yet? I want to purchase this one so badly, but want to know how it performs on the Switch first.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-22, 17:54   #4
rewak

After playing through it 3 times to get all the trophies I'd say it's a good port but it does have some bugs at the moment. I never got certain pre-rendered cutscenes to trigger (which should always trigger IIRC) and some graphical bugs were present mostly relating to character models interacting with steam or smoke and sometimes not keeping up with scene transitions. Nightdive have said they're aware of the problems and will be putting out a patch soon so maybe keep an eye out for that first especially if you've never played the game before.

It's been getting a lot of hate because of the upscaling used and yeah, I can understand that. Like I said in my first post I wasn't wowed by upscaling job they did and I would have preferred an option to go between the original and "enhanced" versions but it's not as awful as some people are making it out to be in my opinion. Trying to take videos encoded in the 90's at 640x480 15fps and ramping that up to HD 60fps is always going to lead to some jank. The main problem with this for me is the loss of detail in some scenes. I think they smoothed out the original videos first to eliminate pixelation to make it easier for the AI to upscale and interpolate to 60fps, but that leads to finer detail either looks smeary or just flat out being erased in comparison. It's also a little jarring to have the original low-poly voxel character models with low framerate animations against smooth 60fps backgrounds. When this was originally announced they said they were going to update the character models and animations but this hasn't happened in the final product? Again an option to switch to the original videos would have helped this. Who knows, maybe they'll add that in at some point, but I will say after 3 playthroughs I did get used to it. It's all a mixed back, it's awesome to be able to play this game on consoles but a straight port might have been better, but then you'd have people complaining about the low quality assets. Without access to any source material their only option for remastering then really was just upscaling, but that has it's own draw backs. It's a pick your poison choice.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote