Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 21-07-14, 14:26   #11
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
Not really. You don't actually have to fly around the world to convince the audience your in different locations. Stock footage is purchased and used in many shows. Alias made good use of this while filming never left the US.

If it's done in the US there are diverse environments - forests, deserts, tropical beaches, swamps, caves etc... There's a desert called Little Sahara in Oklahoma that looks just like the real thing. Add in Stock Footage of the Pyramids and then the audience is convinced.
http://billysauerlandphotography.com/tag/little-sahara/

The rest is all done with Sets. Sets can be dressed up to look very different.
I agree, but I still think TR locations/ sets will be more expensive than most other kind of shows. You have to take a lot of care to make stuff look ancient and overgrown without looking like cheap set pieces at the same time. Something like Alias requires much less work in those departments.

This is one of the reasons why I think a film will have the potential of being much better. I'm scared that a live action series will look cheap and being badly written tbh. This isn't something that HBO and the likes will pick up after all... I also think the kind of story (that I would want for TR) would never be acceptable in the world of television.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 15:24   #12
AimlessThunder

If Relic Hunter was a tv show and it was sort of based on Indiana Jones and Lara Croft, I think Tomb Raider would have no problem . But then again series that are by far more popular never got tv shows. Just imagine a tv show made by HBO, with the same productions scale as GoT!
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 15:47   #13
HRHCroft

"Relic Hunter" was a fun show, but it was very cheap/low budget and kinda corny.

As for CGI, well, I feel that'd be kinda pointless now. The "TR" reboot practically was a CGI movie.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-14, 21:28   #14
Laras Dream

Ofcourse... LOST... oops sorry I mean Tomb Raider: The Hidden Truths or something cheesy.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 19:20   #15
JosefHare
Inactive

I'm actually really surprised there's never been a Tomb Raider television series, it lends itself to that format really well.

But I'm not sure what you mean by 'digital', if you mean CGI then good lord no.
JosefHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-14, 19:29   #16
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefHare View Post
I'm actually really surprised there's never been a Tomb Raider television series, it lends itself to that format really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvD5L75eJd0
(I know it's not a proper TV-series, but still, it's something...)

Personally I think a live action TV series most likely would end up being cheesy and cheap-looking so would prefer a trilogy of TR films instead. I think those will have better chance at being good (well, Hollywood screwed up royally with the Angelina films, but maybe we'll get lucky and have these new ones made by competent people instead?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefHare View Post
But I'm not sure what you mean by 'digital', if you mean CGI then good lord no.
I think as far as a TR TV-series goes, then a CGI animated series is the best way to go.

Last edited by Trenton; 23-07-14 at 19:34.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote