Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 07-05-12, 07:59   #1271
Raider99

I had nightmares because of your spiders!
And that one big which pull poor Lara to his hideout!
Raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 08:33   #1272
DJ Full

I used to be arachnophobic like You. Then I played Harry Potter 2. Just like after watching HappyTreeFriends I stopped fearing injections. I HAVEN'T WATCHED THEM FOR A VERY LONG TIME THOUGH, SO I STARTED TO FEAR NEEDLES AGAIN...

It's definitely better to face an artificial threat ingame, then it's MUCH easier when You face it in real life... so no matter what You fear, You should always play from the beginning to the very end. Arachnophobia is cureable, as well as claustrophobia, agoraphobia and all other phobias people obtained due to sitting at home too much...

For those who fear, I recommend to:
- allow those spiders to approach and touch Lara; even allow them to kill her; repeat until You get used to them
- then get such spider from trsearch.org and play with it - make some animations, maybe even a cutscene, see how it all works... knowing the enemy gives the basics needed to FIGHT!
- then play the spider cave again
- when You're ready, leave Your home and visit some wild or half-wild place, to search for real spiders - YES! It's important to make the first step and find Your enemy before it finds You, as this gives tactical advantage; NOTE: start from tiny spiders instead of making a deep-water encounter with 3-inch ones!!; small spiders usually hide somewhere among the grass, there are a lot of them and You don't even notice; repeat visiting the lawn as long as necessary
- visit the lawn once again, this time take a magnifying glass; find those small spiders You already know; enlarge those as much as You desire; this gives You self-confidence, as You're controlling the situation; repeat this step as long as You need;
- play the spider cave again and see the difference;
- repeat visiting the lawn and now search for medium-sized spiders; repeat as long as necessary;
- repeat the above with a magnifying glass in Your hand;
- gather as much info about rainforest spiders as You can - once again, it's knowing the enemy;
- when You have the essential knowledge, go to some zoo or another animal storage having a terrarium wing, to observe those larger species through the glass (the previous step was to prepare You for this); repeat as long as You can.

This should do it. Most of people writing here will never have an opportunity to get closer to spiders. If it happens that, by coincidence, You live in the middle of a rainforest and are ABLE to encounter those hugest and scariest... it means You never had a chance to have arachnophobia, so the above walkthrough doesn't apply to You.

I played a wonderful game yesterday, called Murderer's Hiding Place by Steve. There are few builders who make use of AI nullmeshes, and who care about relations between enemies in order to create a fluent hunt cutscene - and there's indeed one, with two huge spiders chasing a troop down.

I once had arachnophobia, but yesterday I was smiling when I saw that.

About bumping the thread: I didn't expect the second part yet, and once the first part was finished, it can be discussed forever, just like it always happens with released games - so I don't know if responding in this thread can even be classified as a "bump".

Last edited by DJ Full; 07-05-12 at 08:35.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 09:40   #1273
rr_carroll
Bug Scientist

Sheepman23, here's a savegame just as you're leaving the spider cave, with the Emerald Key in your possession. Copy it to the game's folder with the other saves, and rename it to something appropriate.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?utamdre89t7szme

Continue up the stairs to the main cavern. You won't have any cogs yet.

BTW, Titak, I like very much what you did with the Load screen. For you others, it shows a screenshot for the location of the selected save, and the same info as a stats screen. Normally I load save after save, looking for the right one.

I'm also reminded of how much I like the music in these levels. "Epic longings" might be a way to characterize the theme that plays in Inventory.
rr_carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 09:47   #1274
Raider99

BTW, Titak did you make render Lara at first page?
Or someone else, can you tell me which program is used?
Old 07-05-12, 11:02   #1275
Titak

I didn't make that render myself.
It was made with XNA Lara.
All I did was mix the render with an ingame screenshot.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 11:44   #1276
sheepman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
Edit: Here's a video by xXApelaumXx that shows a glitch shortcut that allows you to skip the Emerald Key from the spider caves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSGwMb0poV8
I really admire this discovery, since that is NOT an obvious place to try a corner bug!

I hope someday you can do the spider caves, because Titak has included a very creative puzzle - something most custom levels sorely need!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_carroll View Post
Sheepman23, here's a savegame just as you're leaving the spider cave, with the Emerald Key in your possession. Copy it to the game's folder with the other saves, and rename it to something appropriate.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?utamdre89t7szme

Continue up the stairs to the main cavern. You won't have any cogs yet.
Thank you for the video and the savegame, it's much appreciated.

I feel really terrible wanting to miss any part of this wonderful game, too. Maybe I'll come to my senses when I get home later today and just plow through it, though. After all, I've done it several times in TR2, although that was partially because I knew where the spiders came out of hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
You should have enough 50 Caliber Pistol ammo.
4 shots per spider is enough so you can kill them pretty quickly, before they even reach you.

If that helps any in your case...
Yep, I've got about 30 rounds. I'm sure it could help me kill them quickly... like I said, I might go ahead and try it. To miss any part of this game would make me feel really bad.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 11:53   #1277
Raider99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
Yep, I've got about 30 rounds. I'm sure it could help me kill them quickly... like I said, I might go ahead and try it. To miss any part of this game would make me feel really bad.
I didn't kill them, i escaped!
And cave when open doors and spiders come, i escaped and door closed and Lara is secure.
Old 07-05-12, 12:12   #1278
Eden95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider99 View Post
I didn't kill them, i escaped!
And cave when open doors and spiders come, i escaped and door closed and Lara is secure.
Bah, ran through with pistols and killed the buggers (pun intended.)

Not one of them made it out of that cave alive.
Eden95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 13:29   #1279
Sonikku3

I tried it quite a time ago, i'm still at the croft manor gym

But still, the games is deffinetly perfect, classic gameplay and next generation graphics, splendid, and a conversion of both Core's and Crystal's storylines, even better, the game is just perfect (though i haven't moved much)
Sonikku3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 14:46   #1280
ZIP2010

I love spiders, and I like to kill them with the pistols just to have time taking a look to the webs
ZIP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote