www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-07-18, 18:33   #31
Legends
Tomb Raider
 
Legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 14,865
Default

The whole story of the game is pretty bad. Lara being a fugitive while being framed for Von Croy's murder... It's just a complete waste of both characters and very contradicting to the characters in The Last Revelation and Chronicles. I really didn't need more Von Croy after Chronicles. Just give me a new adventure, not this revenge, fugitive crap. To say that it's weird is an understatement. Core Design apparently lost both the ability to write a decent story and make a working gaming engine here. Eidos made sure this game would fail though, by not allowing Core to "complete" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
I heard about this part of the story that got scrapped. However it still baffles me why Lara insists that Werner left her when he tried to convince her to come back from the tribe people. This is out of character for her to have this kind of attitude. Amanda from Legend acted in the same manner to Lara as well, she saw Lara in front of her trying so hard to free from drowning.
This always particularly bothered me with AoD. What happened to the writing here? This was the first time I really felt like Lara wasn't really Lara. What kind of dumbass character is this? "you didn't come back for me..."

Last edited by Legends; 14-07-18 at 18:35.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:53   #32
Grimaldi
Archaeologist
 
Grimaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: On the loch, right.
Posts: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
The whole story of the game is pretty bad. Lara being a fugitive while being framed for Von Croy's murder... It's just a complete waste of both characters and very contradicting to the characters in The Last Revelation and Chronicles.
Iím glad Iím not the only one who doesnít find AoD particularly well written. The premise itself doesnít work for me; what tension is there in Lara Croft being framed for murder, of a man that was such a creeper when she was a teenager no less? Why would she take a brush with death so personally that sheíd become so bratty and sensitive over it? Such a strange direction.
__________________
ďIíll marmalise you.Ē
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:10   #33
Samz
Archaeologist
 
Samz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Helheim
Posts: 1,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Iím glad Iím not the only one who doesnít find AoD particularly well written. The premise itself doesnít work for me; what tension is there in Lara Croft being framed for murder, of a man that was such a creeper when she was a teenager no less? Why would she take a brush with death so personally that sheíd become so bratty and sensitive over it? Such a strange direction.
While I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff, from what I've heard, people can find a thril in danger, like a gun fight or skydiving, I'd imagine being burried alive under a Pyramid slowly dying of Hunger/Thrist would be a different experience.
__________________
"What does it mean to a Tomb Raider?,It means to collect artifacts for sport"
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:20   #34
Grimaldi
Archaeologist
 
Grimaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: On the loch, right.
Posts: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
While I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff, from what I've heard, people can find a thril in danger, like a gun fight or skydiving, I'd imagine being burried alive under a Pyramid slowly dying of Hunger/Thrist would be a different experience.
Itís her own fault for going on that kind of adventure. Thatís the risk she enjoys avoiding, hell, surviving the Himalayas was the making of her, so she should at least take it on the chin when it finally catches up to her, but instead itís Wernerís fault and out comes the edgy mascara.

Classic Lara in her beginnings emerged from something serious a liberated, powerful person. AoD Lara in her prime (TR4) was reduced to sluggish movements and got her feelings hurt, which is...not very Lara-like.
__________________
ďIíll marmalise you.Ē
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 20:44   #35
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,369
Default

*AoD fan comes into here and sees hate on the story*



In all seriousness and to answer the OPís question, I think their relationship was incredibly messed up, especially in AoD. It made no sense for her to be upset with him. Heck, they couldíve had the same premise, but made Lara not be mad at Werner and instead, they were just catching up or talking about the Obscura Paintings.
__________________
ďAnd I thought this was going to be one of my easy days.Ē
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 22:01   #36
Legends
Tomb Raider
 
Legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 14,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Iím glad Iím not the only one who doesnít find AoD particularly well written. The premise itself doesnít work for me; what tension is there in Lara Croft being framed for murder, of a man that was such a creeper when she was a teenager no less? Why would she take a brush with death so personally that sheíd become so bratty and sensitive over it? Such a strange direction.
AoD isn't greatly written at all. Maybe it's easy to ignore because of all the other problems with the game, but it's a complete shift in the writing from previous entries, even Chronicles. They tried to make it complicated and interesting, but it just became messy and confusing. They should have stayed with the formula that works; Lara seeks out a new adventure. From TR1-5 it was all about the treasure and going on the adventure that was the drive. In AoD it's Lara's story that's the drive, much like in the reboot. We don't really need to know too much about Lara. We know what we "need" to know. Tell me a story about the treasure and why it's special. Then the adventure begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
While I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff, from what I've heard, people can find a thril in danger, like a gun fight or skydiving, I'd imagine being burried alive under a Pyramid slowly dying of Hunger/Thrist would be a different experience.
A revenge plot is still out of charterer in my mind for Lara. Or at the very least that's not a part I need to see, the whole appeal of the series is adventure and a cool charterer. Lara is neither in AoD.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 23:54   #37
Yeauxleaux
Professor
 
Yeauxleaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
*AoD fan comes into here and sees hate on the story*



In all seriousness and to answer the OPís question, I think their relationship was incredibly messed up, especially in AoD. It made no sense for her to be upset with him. Heck, they couldíve had the same premise, but made Lara not be mad at Werner and instead, they were just catching up or talking about the Obscura Paintings.
Random, but I love when I post a gif and then see it bounce around the forum several times in the following days

Guess I start trends



Anyway I assume part of the mess in AoD was due to how rushed things were. With how they had to rush the game out unfinished, certain things did have to be cropped out, which meant certain things got left unexplained. Maybe if they did have a bit more of a prologue, they could have explained why Lara was so angry at Werner and given a better explanation.
__________________
So starry-eyed on the flowery hillside breathless and fervid amid the dandelions
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.