Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 17-11-17, 17:50   #231
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Here's something I noticed too:
Diagonal walls also present a lot of problem in swimming areas, especially in narrow corridors made of only diagonal sectors. It's almost impossible not to get stuck.
I don't know if the current issues with diagonal walls are due to the editor or the engine itself, but it might be good to keep in mind that they might never fully behave correctly, since they are merely an undocumented feature of the engine, an unforeseen result of sorts.

Quote:
And I also have this really weird problem, I have a room that is made of a lot of diagonal walls, but it crashes the game. All walls are 15 clicks high, and it has 2 flame triggers. The strange part is that it converts just fine, and if I put Lara in a room different from where this buggy one is, the game plays normally. It seems it only freezes if the level loads it.

[IMG/]https://i.imgur.com/pX7PfQr.png[/IMG]

BTW, I'm running on Vista 32 bit.
Try using one of the original WADs like tut1 with it and check if that happens also. Sometimes objects might cause crashes and from what I can see TE still has issues handling WADs with high-poly objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelooBastet View Post
As i still dont understand what to enter in the paths, i made a new folder called "Projets" into TRE, and copied into it all my Vashjir files (except the Vashjir.tr4 file)

I loaded the TRLE prj from that folder, then i relaoded both objects and textures from that same folder too, then saved as Vashjir.prj2

I thought that way i had reached the same step that if i had created the map under TRE
So i tried to build the level in order to test it but i get that message :

There was an error. Message: Impossible de trouver une partie du chemin d'accès 'D:\Core Design\TRE\Projets\Vashjir TRE\data\Vashjir_13.tr4'.

EDIT

Replaced too path files and the level was built but the problem is i can't play it as the title Vashjir doent appear in the list
In TRE, how do I change my script files in order to add it, then recompile them?
The only path you need to update is the path to your TRLE/NGLE files. You don't need to move your projects anywhere. Keep they were you had them before, which was your TRLE/NGLE directory. That way you will be compiling your level into the same TRLE/NGLE setup as before, you will have your EXE and script, and you will be able to use NGCenter for editing the script.

When the PRJ is imported, TE will ask you to show a new, correct path to game directory and in Tools > Level Settings you change it to your TRLE/NGLE folder. When you do that, TE should automatically detect other paths to your WAD (if it's in graphics/wads subfolder) and path to your "data" folder (if it's the /data subfolder).

When you go to Tools > Level Settings check if the paths in there are correct, you can always set them manually again just to be sure. Remember that the name of your PRJ will now also be the name of your TR4 file (tut1.PRJ -> tut1.TR4), so check if that is the file that is written in your script (TRLE/NGLE use the name from the WAD).

Also, what meant is if you have NG triggers underneath Lara at the start of the level in your PRJ, because this might cause a crash when the level loads since TE does not yet compile NG triggers correctly (if at all).

Last edited by Dustie; 17-11-17 at 18:03.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 18:35   #232
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I don't know if the current issues with diagonal walls are due to the editor or the engine itself, but it might be good to keep in mind that they might never fully behave correctly, since they are merely an undocumented feature of the engine, an unforeseen result of sorts.
That's exactly what I thought. The way the engine handles level collision is very treacherous when it comes to diagonals sectors. This level is mostly me testing what can be done with them in both geometry and gameplay.

Rooms do look pretty though

Quote:
Try using one of the original WADs like tut1 with it and check if that happens also. Sometimes objects might cause crashes and from what I can see TE still has issues handling WADs with high-poly objects.
I tried it but with no luck. Still crashes. I am using 256px textures though, might that be the cause of it? I don't think so because I loaded a level with the same textures, but it was way bigger and more complex and it seemed to work fine.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 18:38   #233
SrDanielPonces

@VictorXD I love what you've done so far
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 18:44   #234
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
I tried it but with no luck. Still crashes. I am using 256px textures though, might that be the cause of it? I don't think so because I loaded a level with the same textures, but it was way bigger and more complex and it seemed to work fine.
Have you tried removing diagonal walls then, one by one? Or removing triggers?
Is the level built from scratch in TE, or was it imported from PRJ?
Old 17-11-17, 19:06   #235
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

I agree with Dustie, diagonal walls are supported because at Core they left a small door opened in the ugly code for triangle collisions, but for sure in the code of animation states of Lara such case was never managed. So it works, but in some cases it could fail.

Who is having problems, please send me via PM the zip archive with PRJ/PRJ2, WAD, TGA.

So I can fix the bugs
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 19:08   #236
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
@VictorXD I love what you've done so far
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Have you tried removing diagonal walls then, one by one? Or removing triggers?
Is the level built from scratch in TE, or was it imported from PRJ?
This is very weird. I kept removing things until the room had 0 diagonal stuff, from walls to steps, ceilings etc. Then I used flatten both floor and ceiling, replaced the wad with TR4's one, removed all triggers and it still crashes. The room is pretty much bare, and freezing persists.

Oh and the project is built from scratch in TE.

EDIT: Monty, I will in a bit just a sec.

Last edited by VictorXD; 17-11-17 at 19:09.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 19:16   #237
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

@KyleCroft: you problem with WAD seems to be a WadMerger bug. Probably engine doesn't care too much about it.
In fact now WAD is loaded. Tomb Editor doesn't have problems with WADs without statics or moveables.
The policy here is to put NextAnimation and NextFrame equals to zero if some invalid data is found.
Old 17-11-17, 21:54   #238
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

@VictorXD After some inspections, guys of TR5 decompilation project confirmed my suppositions. You can't place more than 21 dynamic lights in a single room! That's why it was crashing.
Old 17-11-17, 21:56   #239
LeelooBastet

Stupid question but, how do i place a trigger ? i dont find the button
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-17, 22:03   #240
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
@VictorXD After some inspections, guys of TR5 decompilation project confirmed my suppositions. You can't place more than 21 dynamic lights in a single room! That's why it was crashing.
Dynamic lights mean every type of light and shadows?