Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 24-04-17, 10:06   #6141
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
IMO a lot of things about Ascension would've been pretty bad like horse riding and defeating giant monsters. It's not that the ideas themselves are bad, but they just don't fit a TR game. Also it would've been a rip-off of Shadow of the Colossus. Thus I don't get the obsession a lot of people have with this concept.
I'm not too mad on Ascension , but the monsters and the horse would've been cool imo . Lara rode all kinds of vehicles before , she even rode a camel (in cutscene , but still) , so why not a horse ? and it's definitely not a SOTC exclusive feature , same with the demon-like monsters and the giant ones , remember the giant bird in Tibet in TR2 , Shiva statues in TR3 , Torso boss etc .

Quote:
That actually sounds pretty interesting and would explain a lot. Kinda gives me a Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibe.
It would've been super cheesy IMO . Classic Lara is pushed as being special , but let's keep it like that , we don't need a revelation that she's special because she's not like other human beings genetically , and since she (and Kurtis) are from supernatural bloodlines , why not give her supernatural abilities like him ?

Quote:
Emo? She looks pretty punk to me. And aside from the fact that she probably wouldn't have appeared in the story, she reminds me of Tank Girl, who is one of the inspirations for TR I Lara. So the circle would've been complete.
IDK , but having another female relative that is a Tomb Raider makes Lara less special tbh , I know people would bring up Lara's dad from LAU and the Reboot , but I've always thought that he's more of an archaeologist , he just travels to digs and deciphers ancient scrolls and things of this sort while Lara IS the True Tomb Raider (travels to dangerous terrains in dangerous conditions , dodging traps , faces and slaughters mercenaries etc)

Last edited by Patrick star; 24-04-17 at 10:07.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 10:37   #6142
ESCachuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I'm not too mad on Ascension , but the monsters and the horse would've been cool imo . Lara rode all kinds of vehicles before , she even rode a camel (in cutscene , but still) , so why not a horse ? and it's definitely not a SOTC exclusive feature , same with the demon-like monsters and the giant ones , remember the giant bird in Tibet in TR2 , Shiva statues in TR3 , Torso boss etc .

It would've been super cheesy IMO . Classic Lara is pushed as being special , but let's keep it like that , we don't need a revelation that she's special because she's not like other human beings genetically , and since she (and Kurtis) are from supernatural bloodlines , why not give her supernatural abilities like him ?

IDK , but having another female relative that is a Tomb Raider makes Lara less special tbh , I know people would bring up Lara's dad from LAU and the Reboot , but I've always thought that he's more of an archaeologist , he just travels to digs and deciphers ancient scrolls and things of this sort while Lara IS the True Tomb Raider (travels to dangerous terrains in dangerous conditions , dodging traps , faces and slaughters mercenaries etc)
According to Blood Ties, it seems that Richard was more adventurous than you say. He trains Lara to avoid traps and such things, I guess he also is the kind of Tomb Raider Lara is, but less successful in finding supernatural stuff. And that sucks a little to be honest.

I agree with the bloodline tho, and I don't think Core would have allowed Murti to transform Lara into some kind of Captain America wannabe or superhuman. That's just one of the brainstorming ideas, not necessarily introduced in the game.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 11:30   #6143
Zebra

Quote:
I've always been a bit iffy on the whole Melissa Croft thing but at least she would've only been in the multiplayer with (as far as we know) no story involvement whatsoever. I'll take that over the way the films and Crystal have handled Lara's relatives any day of the week.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 19:05   #6144
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Yeah, Core definitely had a sense of humor judging by the executable strings I've read over the years. Oh and "InterpolateThatBitch();", yes apparently that's a method name in one of the Tomb Raider games.
A lot of video game programmers put similar jokes into their codes. The website https://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor has a few parts of video game source codes that aren't active in the final games and some of them contain pretty hilarious commands and especially annotations. I started studying computer sciences last year and when I started to learn how to program, I realised why programmers would put hilarious or mean annotations into their codes if these codes are also edited by other people.

As for the Nazi stuff in Natla's mines: It wouldn't make much sense if it was meant to be in TRAE. It would somewhat downplay Natla's obsession to reactivate the pyramid if it was revealed that she wasn't the one who created the tunnels but that she just stumbled across some Nazi mines/dig sites.
But I also can't really believe that LucasArts wanted Core to make an Indiana Jones game out of TRAE. Back then Indy was Lara's biggest competitor in the gaming market and the similarities between TR I and the Indy-TRAE-hybrid would be too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
And the Nazi stuff was definitely not for the Tomb Raider version. The trailer doesn't have them and has Natla crates instead.

Atlantis also could have been reworked. Lucasarts had already made Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
But Atlantis in Fate of Atlantis was very different from the version in TR I and more based on the actual Greek myth.

Quote:
I'm not bothered by the fact that Ascension would've had big monsters but by the fact that Lara would've fought them while riding a horse and probably would've climbed onto these monsters to defeat them. That's just a bit too much SOTC and too little TR.

Last edited by Wooxman; 24-04-17 at 19:07.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 22:46   #6145
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
But Atlantis in Fate of Atlantis was very different from the version in TR I and more based on the actual Greek myth.
So you splice in Palace of Midas at the end of Natlas's mines and reorder the Greek levels.

I find the Lucasarts story plausible. Games do get retrofitted for other franchises. Mario 2 is probably the most famous example.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-17, 22:58   #6146
Niveus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
^What's wrong with Jean-Yves being the victim? He would have been there at the manor in Chronicles, he already deals with ancient artworks, has a reason to live in a small apartment in Paris unlike Von Croy who is Austrian with a massive business in New York, and most importantly Lara really cares about him which gives her a reason to go and see him in her state.
It makes narrative sense, I wasn't denying that.
But there isn't any real connection between the two and Lara's attitude toward him was mixed and confusing in TR4.
Lara would push friends away in her funk, I think. She would gravitate to those who she has unfinished business with.

We hardly know Jean Yves. We spent more time with Werner, and Lara and Werner have a twisted history unlike the case with Jean Yves. He would not have been a compelling choice. I could hardly relate to Lara wanting to clear her name of his murder. Yawn.

I reckon the French Police would have a hard time proving Lara even knew who he was.

Last edited by Niveus; 24-04-17 at 23:01.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-17, 00:30   #6147
Boobandie

Knowing the Charles Cane in Chronicles was Jean-Yves when that was planned doesn't change your mind about the connection?
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-17, 00:45   #6148
Zebra

I think Jean-Yves would've been a much better fit than Von Croy. It never felt quite right with him.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-17, 05:58   #6149
SLAYER

With Vonvroy, you would have enough reason to think she did kill him. That's not the case for Yves. What would they even fight about?
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-17, 09:25   #6150
Caesum

Actually I think the idea to use Von Croy instead was much better. Jean was never an interesting enough person, Lara obviously cared about him but not the player. Von Croy on the other hand was a much more vivid character, with more background and better connection to Lara. They were friends and enemies at the same time, a very interesting situation. I am glad they decided to continue it in TRAOD instead of using Jean(even though they were forced to do so). Only too bad that they didn't do much to cover up the obvious swap of characters. There wasn't much needed to fix it. For example placing Werner in a hotel instead of dirty apartment would have changed a lot and it would also allow for some neat stealth gameplay.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote