www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 14-07-18, 05:38   #61
HarleyCroft
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Replace Last Revelation and Chronicles with Legend, and this is true for me. Legend Lara was the worst iteration of Lara imo.
Whaa?
Legend Lara came off a bit ditzy at times and her outfits showed a little more skin than necessary but she didn't awkwardly flirt like LR/C Lara And her voice was a normal, human female tone (I thought Jonell was putting on a girlish, high voice for teenaged Lara at first. When I heard her speak in the same register as a full grown adult I was all )

I'm curious to why you dislike her.. you've probably explained it a thousand times on the forum but since I'm relatively new, mind indulging me if you have the time?
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 09:35   #62
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Whaa?
Legend Lara came off a bit ditzy at times and her outfits showed a little more skin than necessary but she didn't awkwardly flirt like LR/C Lara And her voice was a normal, human female tone (I thought Jonell was putting on a girlish, high voice for teenaged Lara at first. When I heard her speak in the same register as a full grown adult I was all )

I'm curious to why you dislike her.. you've probably explained it a thousand times on the forum but since I'm relatively new, mind indulging me if you have the time?
Honestly me too. LAU Lara was my least favourite version of the character, specifically Legend Lara. Everything from her voice to her mannerisms borders on a parody. All her one liners and silly outfits didn't really help either. Underworld Lara was much better realized IMO.
If I had to rank all the Lara Crofts it'd be something like this:

1. Dark Horse Reboot Lara
2. Top Cow Lara
3. Game Reboot Lara
4. Core Design Lara
5. LAU Lara
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 12:28   #63
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

^Das sacrilege

I don't mind Lara having a bit of vamp and camp In fact I prefer it, if it's small reasonable doses and not too in-your-face.

I think Legend pushed it with turning Lara into some kind of weird sexy Barbie doll. You had that stupid trashy dress she wore in Japan firstly, and a whole unnecessarily large wardrobe for no real reason. Aside from that, I did like her characterisation. The final cutscene with her going ape**** at Amanda is one of the stand-outs of the entire franchise tbh.

I love Keeley's acting, she made LAU Lara the most compelling version of Lara in my opinion, especially in Underworld. I slightly prefer Judith Gibbins' tone and sound for Lara, I just wish she had Keeley's emotional range.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 14-07-18 at 12:30.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 12:51   #64
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
^Das sacrilege

I don't mind Lara having a bit of vamp and camp In fact I prefer it, if it's small reasonable doses and not too in-your-face.

I think Legend pushed it with turning Lara into some kind of weird sexy Barbie doll. You had that stupid trashy dress she wore in Japan firstly, and a whole unnecessarily large wardrobe for no real reason. Aside from that, I did like her characterisation. The final cutscene with her going ape**** at Amanda is one of the stand-outs of the entire franchise tbh.

I love Keeley's acting, she made LAU Lara the most compelling version of Lara in my opinion, especially in Underworld. I slightly prefer Judith Gibbins' tone and sound for Lara, I just wish she had Keeley's emotional range.
I aim to please
Quite frankly, the sassy and campy aspect of the character is my least favourite part of Lara. Always has been. It's why I think TR1 Lara is the best version of the character in the older games. It's why I couldn't care less about outfits either
Old 14-07-18, 18:28   #65
NoahCrofRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Whaa?

LR/C Lara felt overall like a natural evolution of TR1-3 Lara. Although I agree she did awkwardly flirt sometimes which was weird. She was more friendly, seemed a bit more sane and human haha, and she always felt right to me, save for a few minor design choices with the ingame models.

I haven’t actually expressed my dislike for Legend Lara (only Legend Lara, Anniversary and Underworld Lara were really great to me ), as I only realized my strong disliking of her semi-recently.

My issues with her is that she felt like an “over saturated” version of classic Lara. What I mean by over saturated is that it felt like all of classic Lara’s personality traits were put on max, resulting in a “I’m rich, I’m sexy, I’m a badass, I can quip one liners every five seconds, I might as well be the queen of England” type of Croft. She just felt so messed up.

Thankfully, Anniversary and Underworld somehow fixed this issue. I LOVE Anniversary and Underworld Lara. They show how Lara should’ve been done in Legend, at least as a more lighthearted Lara.
Old 14-07-18, 18:33   #66
biscuits
Professor

^Agreed. Legend Lara suffered from great flanderization.
Old 14-07-18, 19:36   #67
Lily.J
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider
Legend Lara was the worst iteration of Lara imo.

Quote:
My issues with her is that she felt like an “over saturated” version of classic Lara. What I mean by over saturated is that it felt like all of classic Lara’s personality traits were put on max, resulting in a “I’m rich, I’m sexy, I’m a badass, I can quip one liners every five seconds, I might as well be the queen of England” type of Croft. She just felt so messed up.
I think it was a feature of characterization needed for the renewal of the series. Rediscover what you knew about Core's Lara Croft but raised on a new glittering stage, for a more pronounced, more stylized comeback. Your character having become duller through the ages, and having evolved into an old and worn gaming gear, stands out today more bright, playful and modern, in a more rhythmic overboosted narrative. There is a clear narrative genre inspiration from the comics. What makes this Lara naturally more talkative, more explosive, more alive, more envious, more believable, as a human being. Where the Lara of Core was an extremely reserved and mysterious female figure, prolonging her myth until the exhaustion of the impenetrable protagonist (Chronicles, in part, for me) , a blank sheet on which all the fantasies and desires could be written, without in the end, we could not know much about it. (Until today)

I feel like I'm the only one who jumped off my couch in 2006 when I discovered how much Legend Lara was more alive and complex. It was a welcome change for me. She reminded me the Lara of Tomb Raider 1 and the Lara of Dan Jurgens from Top Cow, all in one, who were my favorites at the time.

Today, my excitement has come down, and I appreciate her in the same way as the Lara of Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft
To be completely honest I really didn't like her character in Last Revelation or Chronicles. Her lines, combined with how Jonell delivered them were awful. I love those games but damn, did they screw up her character and physical appearance trying to make her generically sexier.
Hmm, I'm maybe not an immense fan of TR4 and TR5 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux
You had that stupid trashy dress she wore in Japan firstly, and a whole unnecessarily large wardrobe for no real reason.
Oh come on Yeauxleaux, coming from you, I'm really convinced that you could not believe for a single second that the Lara of Core could not have the same types of clothes in a wardrobe ... Crystal only showed it to us for Legend.

Sorry for the mistakes ! ^^

Last edited by Lily.J; 15-07-18 at 10:26.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:51   #68
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily.J View Post
Oh come on Yeauxleaux, coming from you, I'm really convinced that you could not believe for a single second that the Lara of Core could not have the same types of clothes in a wardrobe ... Crystal only showed it to us for Legend.

Sorry for the mistakes ! ^^
I can believe CORE's Lara did have some sexy and glam dresses, yes. She got one out for the opera in Chronicles after all.

The difference being, that one actually was a dress and not a bodycon skirt held up by pieces of strategically-placed black ribbon. She also changed out of it when it was time for action. What Lara did in that Japan "dress" is totally not possible without razzle-dazzling any onlookers, least not without yards of tit tape anyway. I wasn't "offended" by it in an "omg shameful sexualisation!!!" kind of way, it was just outright silly.

Had it been more "dress-y" on the top half it would have been fine, I don't even mind her ripping the sides of it to reveal her holsters, I thought that was quite cool actually.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 14-07-18 at 19:54.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-18, 19:58   #69
Lily.J
Historian

Here I totally agree. ^^

But no matter, I'll never forget how powerful and invincible I felt to be sooo nimble in this absolutely not practical dress, where normally I should have been and rightly... Less flexible.

And this feeling of unrealistic power quite enjoyable has maybe, the first time, erased any other criticism for me.

Last edited by Lily.J; 15-07-18 at 10:20.
Lily.J is offline   Reply With Quote