Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 19-01-16, 08:27   #1
tiann

Default Australian Open 2016 thread (tennis)

NaDULL, Wozniacki (stay slamless forever please!) and the classless midget with a pig-like squeal E.T.rrani ALL bounced out in Round 1

edit: SIMONA HALEP is gone too. OOPS.

Last edited by tiann; 19-01-16 at 10:59.
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 13:21   #2
Alive_and_Funky

Hewitt won with a lob. Yeah!

He has Ferrer next. Hewitt's clearly the underdog, but I reckon it could be a hard-fought match.
Alive_and_Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-16, 13:43   #3
Ashnod

Halep out...le sigh. Not unexpected, considering her Achilles tendon was bothering her enough to make her pull out of her warm-up event. Either rusty, ailing, or both. Doesn't make it any easier for me as a fan of hers, but I can stomach the loss better than if she'd been 100%.

I'm actually a bit chuffed for Verdasco. He really impressed me back in 2009 during the epic semi-final with Nadal, but then he never seemed to do anything with that momentum. For someone who has ability and his weapons, we shouldn't be celebrating him getting into the second round even if that movement comes by beating Nadal this time. He could have been a Stan Wawrinka, someone who managed to eek 1 or 2 Majors out of the Big Four, or at least some Masters-level titles.

I know the dominance of the Big Four has something to do with that - when the top guys are at their peak they are difficult to overcome - nonetheless I always wanted more for him. In any other era, he likely would have won a few Majors and we'd think of him like Carlos Moya.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-16, 13:26   #4
Ashnod

Petra the Dragon is out. UGH.

Bouchard lost, but she lost to Radwanska, so no shame.

Kuznetsova is out. I wish I could say that is unexpected, but Sveta is so erratic that it's just another day at the office.

No big news on the men's side. Federer will play Dimitrov in the 3rd round, which could be exciting.

Go Lleyton!!!
Old 20-01-16, 13:55   #5
Dazzy

I have this feeling Murray will reach the final, and play Novak. Only for Kim to give start giving birth, and Murray's in a hurry to get to the birth, with Novak winning the title by default. Hopefully not. Who can even challenge that Serb?
Dazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-16, 10:47   #6
Nemo_91

Hewitt is almost out. His last match.

EDIT: And he's out.

Last edited by Nemo_91; 21-01-16 at 10:56.
Nemo_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-16, 00:59   #7
Ashnod

I will miss Lleyton Hewitt.

He's someone who in many ways eeked the absolute most out of his career given that his greatest weapons were speed and his ability to counterpunch. 2 Majors, 2 Davis Cups, 2 end of year #1 rankings - all very impressive for someone who happened to be in his prime during the ascendant Federer years. And then as the injuries began mounting and slowing him down, it was almost as though he was forgotten except by his dedicated fans.

I felt really bad for him in '05 when he lost the final of the Australian Open to Safin. He'd tried so hard to win it, prepared as well as he could, and just came up short against Safin when Safin had a sublime tournament.

Sad to see him go.
Old 22-01-16, 06:47   #8
tiann

Vinci and her fugly forehand gone..

Old 26-01-16, 01:50   #9
Ashnod

Quarter-finals are set:

1) Sharapova vs. Williams - At this point, it's no longer a matter of when Sharapova finds a way to beat Williams, it's a matter of it. We've seen this dance too many times now. Can't see how Sharapova wins this.

2) Radwanska vs. Suarez Navarro - I was about to say Radwanska, but as I write this, Radwanska won, sparing me the speculation.

3) Azarenka vs. Kerber - So looking forward to this, if the U.S. Open was any indication. Pulling for Azarenka, but this one should should be good.

4) Zhang vs Konta - I honestly don't know what to expect here. I'm not familiar with either player enough to really speculate. They've played twice, splitting the results. Zhang won the most recent, on hard courts, in 2013. I'm going with Zhang, as she seems to be riding hot at the moment.

1) Nishikori vs. Djokovic - Can Nishikori do it again? Djokovic might be tired after his 5 setter against Simon, but it seems unlikely given his fitness over the past 2 years. Djokovic should win this.

2) Federer vs. Berdych - I think Berdych has a better chance of upsetting Federer than Nishikori does upsetting Djokovic. Federer is playing well, but deep into a Major these days, it's becoming a question of which Federer shows up: the world-beater or the shakasaurus? I'm still going with Federer.

3) Monfils vs. Raonic - Oh, this one looks so good on paper. I really hope it plays out as good as it looks. Raonic is hot, but Monfils can hang with anyone and should have better results than he does. I think Monfils gets this one.

4) Murray vs. Ferrer - Ferrer battles on, but is there enough left in the Week 2 tank to take on Murray? Murray seems to playing okay despite his father-in-law's medical issues. I feel like it's bad form not predicting an upset among the Big Four, but I don't see Ferrer winning this. Murray leads their head to head 12-6, so I'm sticking with him.
Old 26-01-16, 03:58   #10
tiann