Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 05-07-17, 09:00   #31
Wooxman

Yeah, that's why I wrote that Crystal didn't put much thought into it. Finding out why there's a stable time loop would've been far more interesting than the story we got in TRU and it probably would've been complex enough to fill out one or two more games.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 18:39   #32
Grid21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Seriously? Did you never watch any movies about time travelling? Here's a possible explanation from Back to the Future II for how time travel mechanics could work:

Though I don't think that Crystal put a lot of thoughts into this or else the time travel function of the portals wouldn't have been dropped in TRU. But I like to pretend that this could be a logical explanation for the two reboots in the TR series: The timeline got changed and two alternate realities with two more or less different versions of Lara have been created. Maybe Natla, Sophia Leigh or a member of the Fiama Nera did it in an attempt of preventing Lara's birth.
Hey your YouTube broke. xD
EDIT: I was able to find the video anyway. And does that mean that Lara was actually already in the future warning herself in the past? O_O

Last edited by Grid21; 06-07-17 at 18:43.
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 18:49   #33
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
Hey your YouTube broke. xD
EDIT: I was able to find the video anyway. And does that mean that Lara was actually already in the future warning herself in the past? O_O
I fixed the link.

It means that Lara's mum only vanished because Lara from the future talked to her and thus her mum panicked, pulled out the sword and was sent to Helheim. But Lara only activated the portal and talked to her mum because her mum vanished. Thus we have a stable time loop which is a paradox because if Lara only talked to her mum because she vanished when Lara was a kid, then that means that there's no point in time in which Amelia vanished without talking to Lara from the future. If we imagine that time travel was possible than this kind of stable time loop wouldn't work.
Old 06-07-17, 19:00   #34
Blackmoor

So if Lara had known that it was her older self talking to her mother in the dias....... and had decided to never use a dias ever in her life.... once she got past the age at which she'd seen herself in the dias...... what would have happened?

I know this didn't happen in the game because she didn't know it was herself her mother saw. But say she had. What would have happened to that stable time loop when the time passed by the event and Lara had deliberately not used a dias......... the universe implodes???

Or, could this situation never happen because it's not the right conditions for creating a stable loop? A stable loop could never be created that involved Lara recognising it was her old self in the dias?

Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 19:50   #35
Nigel Cassidy

Maybe the illation is that everything that happens is predetermined by the laws of physics. Lara never could have said or do anything else because it was meant to be that way.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 20:26   #36
Grid21

Quote:
I fixed the link.

It means that Lara's mum only vanished because Lara from the future talked to her and thus her mum panicked, pulled out the sword and was sent to Helheim. But Lara only activated the portal and talked to her mum because her mum vanished. Thus we have a stable time loop which is a paradox because if Lara only talked to her mum because she vanished when Lara was a kid, then that means that there's no point in time in which Amelia vanished without talking to Lara from the future. If we imagine that time travel was possible than this kind of stable time loop wouldn't work.
Which would also mean that there is no way to bring her mom back and in fact, it also means that Amanda couldn't use the portal either because it means she herself could also get stuck in a time loop.
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 23:21   #37
Yeauxleaux

I always thought the blurring on the console version (which is the only version/s I've played, PS2 and PS3) were deliberate design choice. I guess it was so the ending couldn't be spoiled and it would remain a mystery who (or what?) Amelia was talking to on the other side.

The DS version just gives it away, and it's kinda crap.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 01:49   #38
Krumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Still doesn't justify the two clear examples of how Amanda obviously wanted Lara dead that I've mentioned in my post .
But she didn't. Lara wouldn't take the hint she wanted to be left alone and unleashing the creature was the only way to send a clear message to go away. Listen to Amanda's dialogue in the cutscene and throughout the boss battle:

"I'd stay away from it if I were you though. It can still be a little touchy."

"Stay out of its way Lara. I don't control it - I only unleash it! It will kill anything in its way!"

"I wouldn't make it mad if I were you. Its really not going to like that!"

"Stop it Lara. Stop interfering. There's no other way to retrieve the artifact."

(monster disappears after using the Tesla Cannon against it)
"Oh God! What have you done?"
(monster reappears)
"Ah good. No harm done. Now really Lara - GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

"It will be back Lara. Get out of there while you can."

"What did you do? You're going to kill us both!"

Its pretty clear killing Lara wasn't her goal. Neither her lines or attitude in Kazakhstan were consistent with that.
Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 07:27   #39
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
So if Lara had known that it was her older self talking to her mother in the dias....... and had decided to never use a dias ever in her life.... once she got past the age at which she'd seen herself in the dias...... what would have happened?

I know this didn't happen in the game because she didn't know it was herself her mother saw. But say she had. What would have happened to that stable time loop when the time passed by the event and Lara had deliberately not used a dias......... the universe implodes???

Or, could this situation never happen because it's not the right conditions for creating a stable loop? A stable loop could never be created that involved Lara recognising it was her old self in the dias?

Yes, these are very good questions to which we will never get the answers since Crystal didn't think this whole time paradox thing through and forgot about it in TRU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
Which would also mean that there is no way to bring her mom back and in fact, it also means that Amanda couldn't use the portal either because it means she herself could also get stuck in a time loop.
It's not that kind of time loop in which you can get stuck and have to relive the same thing over and over again. But if Amanda would've been successful in keeping Lara away from the portal or in convincing her to pull out the sword, then Lara's mother wouldn't have disappeared and Lara never would've had a reason to go on this adventure in the first place. So there are two questions: Was there ever a status quo and Amelia just pulled out the sword because she could? And what would've happened if this time loop would've been interrupted?
Old 07-07-17, 12:27   #40
Blackmoor

Quote:
Yes, these are very good questions to which we will never get the answers since Crystal didn't think this whole time paradox thing through and forgot about it in TRU.
I just wondered if there were some time loop / paradox theory somewhere that explained all this kind of thing..... or as good an explanation as possible anyway. I find it all fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Maybe the illation is that everything that happens is predetermined by the laws of physics. Lara never could have said or do anything else because it was meant to be that way.
Like we're all robots operating along a predetermined path, with only the illusion of free will.

I wonder if (time paradoxes aside) that is what we are really... that the thoughts I am thinking now were all determined billions of years ago when the universe first started.........
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote