www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 19-07-18, 18:03   #41
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
Your reviews are funny, I chuckled quite a bit
Glad you liked them. 2008 me was much funnier than 2018 me.

One thing about your reviews that really deserves lavish praise is the depth. For example, the recognition of the Opera House as a symbol of decaying culture is just remarkable. I noticed similar observations in the TR level reviews, and I was awed at your perspicacity. Can I ask, are you an English major? If not, you should be. The analytical “close readings” are marvellous.
Old 19-07-18, 23:43   #42
Karen_Leslie
Historian

I was an English major, but I graduated a while back. I have a BA in English.

I feel like games often have a lot of depth that isn't really explored. With books, or films, people will go through them word-by-word, frame-by-frame, to do analysis, yet games rarely merit the same attention. I'm trying to give games the critical attention I think they deserve, even if it's in a small way.

That said, I did not find much food for thought in Offshore Rig, I am sad to say.
http://otakusphere.com/2018/07/19/to...-offshore-rig/ I'm not saying there isn't interesting stuff in that level somewhere, I just couldn't find it
Karen_Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 00:48   #43
Anne Boleyn
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
I was an English major, but I graduated a while back. I have a BA in English.

I feel like games often have a lot of depth that isn't really explored. With books, or films, people will go through them word-by-word, frame-by-frame, to do analysis, yet games rarely merit the same attention. I'm trying to give games the critical attention I think they deserve, even if it's in a small way.

That said, I did not find much food for thought in Offshore Rig, I am sad to say.
http://otakusphere.com/2018/07/19/to...-offshore-rig/ I'm not saying there isn't interesting stuff in that level somewhere, I just couldn't find it
Well I hope you got a First! I see what you mean about games not garnering the critical attention of literature and movies; I think you’ve identified what I hope will be an area of study in the future. After all, we pay a lot of attention to “low brow” material from previous centuries, with scholars working on old pamphlets and chapbooks that were rarely preserved at the time because they were considered worthless or “too popular” to have value. In five-hundred years (hopefully less), scholars will be falling over themselves to analyse Tomb Raider and other goldmines of late-twentieth-century culture! In short, modern scholarship really does care about things that a decade or so ago wouldn’t have been considered worth it. In that sense you’re in the vanguard.

Regarding The Offshore Rig, I agree with your analysis. I’ll have a proper read tomorrow, but all that sticks in my mind about the level is a brief rooftop section with a pretty orange sky. I recall only liking the atmosphere of being mid-ocean in late afternoon. Beyond that, it was a “meh” level for me.
Old Yesterday, 15:25   #44
Aquabird
Hobbyist

I love your point about opera being near-extinct as an art form, and that carrying over into the 'tomb' feel of Opera House. TR2 is very light on story, but I read somewhere that Bartoli's father Gianni was a performer of some kind (magician maybe? Can't remember now), and he owned the opera house, which I think is supposed to be the 'why' behind Marco and his gang using it as a base. I love the level though, it's an all-time favourite of mine.

Re. Offshore Rig, when it comes to the starting-off-weaponless premise, I think it's done better here than in Natla's Mines. In OR, I feel you're only without the pistols long enough for it to still be a novelty, whereas with NM it feels like you spend forever running back and forth before you finally start getting your damn guns back. Also, totally agree about THAT BLOODY ALARM.
Aquabird is online now   Reply With Quote