Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 05-05-08, 20:53   #1
godmodder

Cool IrisEngine

Hi,

the origin of this thread is in this one:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show....php?p=2685815

What this is all about:
I'm working with a few people on an open source clone of the classical TR engine with a custom level editor alongside it (codenamed "IrisEngine"). This would allow you guys to extend the game endlessly with new gameplay and even upgrade it with the latest technologies like bumpmapping, vertex- and pixelshaders, etc...
As you may have already noticed, it's going to be similar to FexEngine, but much more open and it will run on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac initially, but it will port flawlessly on any platform that supports OpenGL). The engine and level editor are coming along pretty nicely and I'm in regular contact with Turbo Pascal to ask for his advice. (thanks btw.)

I'm hoping to release a first alpha version at the end of august. I hope you guys don't get too impatient, but think about it this way: we've waited all these years for the sourcecode and it didn't come. I don't think Eidos will ever release it and even if they did, it would probably be outdated, messy and not very useful in general. It figured it's time for me to get off my (sometimes) lazy butt and write it myself.

Ofcourse there's the problem of legal issues, but I'm going to release it as a general engine which can be used as the base for all sorts of action-adventure/platform games. Hey, if you happen to use TR models / textures in it by accident, don't blame me

You can always ask questions about the project or progress btw. After all, it's you guys that are going to use it afterwards. Feel free to even post some features you want in it, but remember that this is going to be open source: even if you don't like it, you can still change it yourself.

Anyway, know that there's something new on the horizon...

Now I will answer deactivated's questions here to continue the discussion:
Quote:
Will we be able to edit and insert own own Lara ?... unlockables ?
Edit Lara animations ?
Add moves and animations ?
Mave ingame videos ?
How about vehicules ?
These will all be possible. You'll have access to the whole toolset + the sourcecode.

Quote:
Will the source level archives be monolithic like WAD or a collection of files compiled when finalising the project: add this Lara (texture and bones included), those Lara animations (with default ones already in place), that tree, those chests then the terrain grid map and textures...music trigger...
The levels geometry and data will be in one file. Then there's seperate files for texture arrays, music, SFX,...

Quote:
Will your code be open source?
Free as in speech and beer.

Jeroen

Last edited by godmodder; 05-05-08 at 21:03.
godmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 21:11   #2
Zebra

Sounds promising !
Can't wait to see what the TRLE-programmers can do with it.
Good luck!

PS: I like the name 'IrisEngine' .
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 21:28   #3
thecentaur

awesomeness!!!

hey, **just a suggestion** but when you finalize this before releasing to the public, can you show the difference of the engines (IrisEngine vs TRLE engine) so that we have a clue what the difference is? pwetty pwease?
thecentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 21:41   #4
moodydog

Great .. look forwards to seeing it

how will it look as far as graphics? like the originals or closer to the higher end of the scale?
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 21:43   #5
stranger1992

There are many sceptics.....can you show us jsut a little hint so we dont become so sceptical. No offence and I appreciate the work but its just words- we need some proof.

Keep it up thoguh dont get me wrong
stranger1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 22:03   #6
Dan-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger1992 View Post
There are many sceptics.....can you show us jsut a little hint so we dont become so sceptical. No offence and I appreciate the work but its just words- we need some proof.

Keep it up thoguh dont get me wrong
Yeah, no offends mate, but I'd really like to know that You're not just talking!
Dan-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 22:11   #7
Lara_Fan
Inactive

Sounds interesting and promising, but I agree with Stranger1992
As I read in the topic 'Get ready for a TRL/TRA engine' , someone asked (i think, excuse me for not remembering) if you could include Meta options in the engine. Is that possible?
Lara_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 14:54   #8
deactivated

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by godmodder View Post
Hi,

What this is all about:
...open source clone of the classical TR engine with a custom level editor alongside it...

Free as in speech and beer.

Jeroen
The power-that-be will rue the day they did not give us the bigfile fileformat.

I'm even willing to bet they would release it around August, to defuse guys like you.

Last edited by deactivated; 06-05-08 at 14:58.
deactivated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 15:01   #9
Compass

Can't wait to see some screenshots of the program!
Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 15:15   #10
Piega

Normally it takes a lot of people and time to build an engine. I dont think it will be easy but if you have the skills, well surprise me. If it will be better then we have now then I would use it defenitely. My wishes are more in the graphics department instead of gameplay or animations.
Piega is offline   Reply With Quote