www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 17-05-18, 22:35   #1
CrowdedToaster
Explorer

Default Microsoft's New Adaptive Controller

I just wanted to share this piece of new information because I feel it is important to highlight such steps towards inclusivity. Microsoft just announced their new "adaptive controller" for people with limited physical abilities/disabilities.

Quote:
For gamers with limited mobility, finding controller solutions to fit their individual needs has been challenging. The solutions that exist today are often expensive, hard to find, or require significant technical skill to create. A number of individuals and organizations are creating custom solutions, but it has been often difficult for them to scale when most rigs need to be so personalized.

Joining the Xbox family of controllers and devices, the Xbox Adaptive Controller was created to address these challenges and remove barriers to gaming by being adaptable to more gamersí needs. It was developed in partnership with organizations around the world, including The AbleGamers Charity, The Cerebral Palsy Foundation, Craig Hospital, SpecialEffect, and Warfighter Engaged. We worked closely with them and directly with gamers who have limited mobility to assist in our development. Our goal was to make the device as adaptable as possible, so gamers can create a setup that works for them in a way that is plug-and-play, extensible, and affordable. In addition to working with common adaptive switches that gamers with limited mobility may already own, it has two large buttons built in. These buttons can also be reprogrammed to act as any of the standard controllerís button inputs via the Xbox Accessories app.

I think this is a pretty amazing controller and am super glad that this has finally been developed! I have always wondered why there wasn't any readily available controllers in the market for people who may not be able to use mainstream controllers. Some are out there, but are very limited and maybe not as great or inclusive as they should be. It is amazing that a big-name company has done this, and I only hope this was introduced earlier. I just hope the controller is not too expensive. I would hope it is the same cost as a regular standard Xbox One controller, and not any more.

Here's hoping Sony makes one too!

What do y'all think?
CrowdedToaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 22:46   #2
jackali
Super Moderator

Question

Moving to video game section.
Old 17-05-18, 22:53   #3
CrowdedToaster
Explorer

Oops Thanks jackali! Forgot to put this in the proper general thread
CrowdedToaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 06:19   #4
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Heartwarming and amazing!
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 11:25   #5
Mani_Man
Professor

That is really nice.
Its a good idea to help people with limited mobility to enjoy games too.
I can see why the normal controllers can be challenging, so thats a cool idea.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 13:14   #6
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

This is a very nice thing MS has done. I can see where this could also have uses with the geriatric demographic. I remember how popular the Wii was in care centers for the aged.

Last edited by Samsdad; 18-05-18 at 13:17.
Samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 04:33   #7
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Nice one MS!
Old 19-05-18, 21:11   #8
jajay119
Tomb Raider

It reminds me of a massive version of the org already steam controller prototype.
Old 24-05-18, 13:48   #9
Samsdad
Relic Hunter

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ssible-gaming/

Nice article that outlines the design and philosophy behind the new controller. I have seen the positive affect of video games as part of a program of therapy and anything that improves access is great in my book. The wiliness of MS to share with any other interested parties is also a big plus.