Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 28-12-16, 19:12   #771
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Them introducing the whole poor-little-orphan-searches-for-her-long-lost-father BS they're supposedly going with doesn't sound like it's going to be an overly grounded affair to me TBH. In any case, I hope they stick with the supernatural elements and the whole Yamatai backstory. As I've said before, that was pretty much the only aspect of the reboot game's story that worked IMO.
Are they really planning on doing that? I haven't read a whole lot about the movie so far (just whatever comes up on TRF).

I still think adding the supernatural/mystical magic stuff is a staple in TR or should be, so I for one would feel it is missing something if they don't have that. I don't want just another generic action thriller movie, although I wont be surprised if that's exactly what happens.

I thought if any franchise would break the "video game movie curse" it would've been Assassin's Creed and that bombed. Though to be fair, the first TR movie with Angelina did really well from what I remember. I still like rewatching every now and then because it's a fun action movie that doesn't take itself super seriously.

I guess it just depends on their execution with the Reboot TR film. I mean, AC had a stellar cast and that didn't save it from its fate, so I'm not as optimistic as I was about Alicia being in this new movie. I thought for certain she'd pick something that she thought was good since she's done such wonderful movies, but it's hard to say. Every actor has been in a bad film at some point, just how it goes.

I'm not going to have high hopes but, at least then there's the potential I'll be pleasantly surprised. Much like I was when I first played Rise of the TR.

Last edited by Horus-Goddess; 28-12-16 at 19:15.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-16, 20:53   #772
HRHCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess View Post
I thought if any franchise would break the "video game movie curse" it would've been Assassin's Creed and that bombed. Though to be fair, the first TR movie with Angelina did really well from what I remember. I still like rewatching every now and then because it's a fun action movie that doesn't take itself super seriously.
Up until "Prince of Persia" it was the highest grossing video game movie of all time, I believe. Kind of funny that the film that dethroned it has been largely forgotten, and yet Angelina's Lara is part of her iconography as an actress and in the general public's consciousness. That and "Prince..." never got a sequel.

Regarding our forthcoming "T.R", my only hope for it is that it dares to do something a bit different from "TR2013." Then I might be pleasantly surprised. I'm glad that an actress with the prestige of Alicia Vikander is playing Lara, but as the only thing I really enjoy about the reboot games is the gameplay itself, watching that Lara and her world without the play factor doesn't have me remotely hyped.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-16, 00:51   #773
Horus-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHCroft View Post
Up until "Prince of Persia" it was the highest grossing video game movie of all time, I believe. Kind of funny that the film that dethroned it has been largely forgotten, and yet Angelina's Lara is part of her iconography as an actress and in the general public's consciousness. That and "Prince..." never got a sequel.

Regarding our forthcoming "T.R", my only hope for it is that it dares to do something a bit different from "TR2013." Then I might be pleasantly surprised. I'm glad that an actress with the prestige of Alicia Vikander is playing Lara, but as the only thing I really enjoy about the reboot games is the gameplay itself, watching that Lara and her world without the play factor doesn't have me remotely hyped.
Ah I didn't realize that. Well, cool. I guess there's a reason everyone remembers Angie as Lara.

I also really liked Prince of Persia even though they didn't stick exactly to the source material. In fact I think it's the last VG movie that I really truly liked and had fun watching. I'm hoping we'll get another good VG movie some time soon. I kinda hate how everyone badmouths them like it's because it is based on a game that it's bad... giving the false impression that games can't have good characters or stories which as we all know is false.

Just depends on the execution as with anything else (though most importantly the script and directing I'd say). Marvel's movies have done great and I'm sure people scoffed at the idea of comic book movies too before they really took off.
Horus-Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-16, 05:57   #774
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Are they really planning on doing that? I haven't read a whole lot about the movie so far (just whatever comes up on TRF).

I still think adding the supernatural/mystical magic stuff is a staple in TR or should be, so I for one would feel it is missing something if they don't have that. I don't want just another generic action thriller movie, although I wont be surprised if that's exactly what happens.

I guess it just depends on their execution with the Reboot TR film. I mean, AC had a stellar cast and that didn't save it from its fate, so I'm not as optimistic as I was about Alicia being in this new movie. I thought for certain she'd pick something that she thought was good since she's done such wonderful movies, but it's hard to say. Every actor has been in a bad film at some point, just how it goes.

I'm not going to have high hopes but, at least then there's the potential I'll be pleasantly surprised. Much like I was when I first played Rise of the TR.
I was aware that AC movie will not be liked a lot because of its story in the first place (been there/ done that a lot before in other movies).

Second, the fans of the game and other people could have already gave the movie a higher score, it need not to have this huge 100 million dollar opening, but it could easily score higher at the box office if the people behind this movie could just pay attention and not release such a movie during the HOLIDAYS AND WHEN STAR WARS/ MOANA (MAJOR MOVIES THAT WE ALL KNOW OVER 70% OF THE PEOPLE WILL BE GOING TO SEE THOSE)

This is what they also did with Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life.
I remember there was the release of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie which everyone was so hyped for

So other than a good cast and a good story, the release date is very important for them to take into consideration.

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 29-12-16 at 05:58.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-16, 12:03   #775
Zebra

Quote:
They've mentioned in an interview that Lara's (main?) motivation is to find her father IIRC.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-16, 13:35   #776
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
They've mentioned in an interview that Lara's (main?) motivation is to find her father IIRC.
If anyone needs me, I'll be trying my best to put my fist through the wall.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 09:48   #777
Avalon SARL

I watched Assassins Creed Movie yesterday and well...
I am not sure what to say.
the movie is good and bad at the same time;

that is as I think, what is probably good as a story for a video game needs to be much more exciting for a movie.

The idea of the AC movie suits a game. Playing it as an adventure is exciting, but watching it was not the same, especially that it felt like part Avatar/ part Prince of Persia and other ideas of other action movies.

So for a movie to be heroic, it is not only visuals and music, not even good actors; there needs to be a good story to all of that; and a new story that the people// audience have not yet seen or read in other films.

The only people (perhaps) who were so amazed y the AC movie were the gamers and fans of the games themselves because they were the ones who mostly know what is going on and where will all of this lead.

Others were like either lost, or as I tried to take notice of what some were saying when we left out, they said it is so noisy and nonsense/ there is nothing to understand from all of this/ it is just fighting and jumping all the way...

My idea here is that the movie makers need to focus IMO on the most interesting plot lines and the best events that will keep the audience interested all along...

Like what happened to Lara Croft in her youth; how did she get the bow (if it will be there), Lara standing in front of some mysterious puzzle in this ancient cavern she has no idea what all of this is about...

I am a bit concerned now actually.
I hope they take notes of what is rally going on around them in the movie industry
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 00:35   #778
Heidi_w_

Might not mean anything, but Karen Fukuhara has just wrapped filming Stray and now has nothing seemingly booked in her filming schedule...
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 15:05   #779
GeekOfComedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
I think especially with Roar they probably will focus a lot more on story, from what I read he doesn't really like visual effects which is the sort of European way. What I even loved about the first TR films was that they didn't use visual effects a lot, sets were constructed and destroyed and that's how it should be. I'm sure they might have one or two CGI set pieces with the helicopters and what not but if their trying to ground the character their not going to make the world feel alien as even in the first TR movies it felt like it took place in the same universe you and I live in.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-17, 15:19   #780
PinkyPromise

Ok, Xmas is over. When they start filming? : P
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote