Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 19-03-18, 20:20   #10831
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I think TReboot could’ve been better had it done a few things that Uncharted did but still offered a bit more and in a different direction.

Maybe some people don’t like Uncharted and the constant banter between the characters while playing. Make Lara alone and more quiet. Instead she talks just as much but usually just to herself.

Uncharted is usually pretty linear so maybe make TR, at least like in some of the classics, more open and less linear. Instead we barely got any exploration in TReboot. Can’t say for Rise as I haven’t played it.

Uncharted you can find trinkets here and there. TReboot had you pick up random junk and burn flags and whatnot. It wasn’t even interesting. :/

Uncharted is fun and silly while also having it’s more serious moments.
TReboot could’ve been more serious but still have it’s old humor in it, just like the Classics or even LAU but it went overboard with its dark, gritty, realism and drama that it’s kinda a bummer to play. At least for a player like me. It’s fine to be serious but I want to have fun. NeoLara is just too boring and a downer to have fun with IMO.
I couldn't get through the Uncharted games because of all the annoying hollywood wannabe "banter" between the characters. It's why I'm apprehensive of The Lost Legacy. Those characters never shut up!

I do agree with you on wanting Tomb Raider to be less linear. Rise is going on the right direction with this, but there's still room for improvement.
Hopefully it all comes together in the third game.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 20:21   #10832
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
One problem with the reboot games is that they don't know whether they want to focus on platforming and exploration or cinematic spectacle. I say that as a huge reboot fan. I feel that the reboot games should focus more on quite and atmospheric exploration. Rather than being cinematic, I think the reboot games should tell their stories through the environments and tombs the player explores.
Yup I agree!

Quote:
I think TReboot could’ve been better had it done a few things that Uncharted did but still offered a bit more and in a different direction.

Maybe some people don’t like Uncharted and the constant banter between the characters while playing. Make Lara alone and more quiet. Instead she talks just as much but usually just to herself.

Uncharted is usually pretty linear so maybe make TR, at least like in some of the classics, more open and less linear. Instead we barely got any exploration in TReboot. Can’t say for Rise as I haven’t played it.

Uncharted you can find trinkets here and there. TReboot had you pick up random junk and burn flags and whatnot. It wasn’t even interesting. :/

Uncharted is fun and silly while also having it’s more serious moments.
TReboot could’ve been more serious but still have it’s old humor in it, just like the Classics or even LAU but it went overboard with its dark, gritty, realism and drama that it’s kinda a bummer to play. At least for a player like me. It’s fine to be serious but I want to have fun. NeoLara is just too boring and a downer to have fun with IMO.
Also agree.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 21:00   #10833
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
One thing in those videos that I don't quite agree with: the guy says in Tomb Raider you collect stuff for XP to buy useless upgrades with, in Uncharted you collect stuff for no other reason than to look at a 3D model of a thingie, and therefore Uncharted is better. Come on... they are equally bad in that regard, but at least Tomb Raider is trying.

But other games like Mass Effect and Far Cry 3 do the XP earning and upgrade buying right, so I think both series should take examples from that.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 21:44   #10834
Quebsenuef

Quote:
I couldn't get through the Uncharted games because of all the annoying hollywood wannabe "banter" between the characters. It's why I'm apprehensive of The Lost Legacy. Those characters never shut up!

I do agree with you on wanting Tomb Raider to be less linear. Rise is going on the right direction with this, but there's still room for improvement.
Hopefully it all comes together in the third game.
I personally like the characters in the Uncharted games so I love the banter. I do agree though with you, there is A LOT of talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
One thing in those videos that I don't quite agree with: the guy says in Tomb Raider you collect stuff for XP to buy useless upgrades with, in Uncharted you collect stuff for no other reason than to look at a 3D model of a thingie, and therefore Uncharted is better. Come on... they are equally bad in that regard, but at least Tomb Raider is trying.

But other games like Mass Effect and Far Cry 3 do the XP earning and upgrade buying right, so I think both series should take examples from that.
I don’t mind looking at the 3D model of the thingy I just picked up. I think it’s interesting to have that in the game. Little trinkets here and there or trying to find out how to get to one. I do agree though it is all for nothing but TReboot went overboard with it. There’s so many things to collect and they’re almost everywhere.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-18, 22:30   #10835
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
It can be annoying, yes, although it got better as the series went on in my opinion, but one huge advantage is that it does build up the characters.

For instance: in U4 you got to look at some paintings and one of the paintings has fallen on the floor and Nathan and Sullivan pick it up and put it back on the wall. Nathan asks: 'is it straight?' And Sullivan answers: 'who the hell cares?' It's a tiny little thing, but it does say something about their personalities; Sullivan is practical and realistic whereas Drake is more orderly and cares about little details. I can hardly tell anything about the personality of Core Design Lara. The Treboot does better but Legend takes the cake in my opinion in that regard.

Quote:
I don’t mind looking at the 3D model of the thingy I just picked up.
Well I don't mind it either, but I'm not really motivated to actively search for those things...
Old 19-03-18, 23:29   #10836
WWETombRaider

I'll only go after collectibles if it's a game I really enjoyed (or if there's a trophy to it). The majority of it is just padding, adding a lil "extra".
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 21:20   #10837
Blackmoor

Quote:
Have these videos been posted in this thread already?

[youtube]r_AVDXyGSlM[/youtube

[youtube]3j5H30Arhdg[/youtube
That was interesting although I do feel he was a little bit biased in places.

And, he wants more focus in TR on making great battles whereas I want more focus in TR on making great exploration.

But yeah, I think reboots are weaker games than UC, even though they are very UC-like.

And, they're not as compelling because Lara is less interesting (as she's currently framed / written), plus he's right - the actress who plays Lara (or direction given to the actress) isn't brilliant either. And although I feel Crystal try for a more complex storyline than UC (which I appreciate), they don't pull it off in a way that I'd like.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 20-03-18 at 21:22.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-18, 23:46   #10838
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
And, he wants more focus in TR on making great battles whereas I want more focus in TR on making great exploration.
Actually he wants them to focus on exploration too: 7:35 of the second video: globetrotting and going into tombs to collect clues.
Old 21-03-18, 18:46   #10839
Blackmoor

Quote:
Actually he wants them to focus on exploration too: 7:35 of the second video: globetrotting and going into tombs to collect clues.
Yeah I heard that bit, he wants to go to different locations which I agree with and utilise the tombs more, but I felt he was more pointed when he articulated that TR needs is to make the battles better. I can't find the bit that really stood out because together they're quite a long video.

Another point I think he made well was when he discusses fanboyism and criticism of games at the very end. Makes me wonder if he's ever visited this forum.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 12:49   #10840
dcw123

Some really.... erm interesting matches today
Had a really fun one.
Challenges can be hard though - I hate the Condor.
More maps would be awesome..
Too many quitters too unfortunately so lots of 3 vs 5

Even in a party of 3 good players - we lost by 13 points coz some guy died 15 times ans got 1 kill FML

Last edited by dcw123; 23-03-18 at 15:03.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote