Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-03-10, 22:51   #1
ultima espio

Default The General Sonic The Hedgehog Thread

I thought that it would be easier if we had a general Sonic thread somewhere, instead of just one for each new game

As with the other general game threads, discuss the games in general, like which one is your fav, which one you hate most and stuff.

I for one love SA2, i dont think theres been a game as good since for me

Uk Fleetway Sonic the Comics Online again:

www.STCReruns.co.uk

Last edited by ultima espio; 18-04-11 at 21:03.
ultima espio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 23:08   #2
WSOwen02

Sonic made me a gamer. It's why I say that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is my favorite game of all time. I enjoy other games more but that game is the reason I still play games now.

My icon is a tribute to that.
WSOwen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 23:46   #3
Legend of Lara

My first Sonic was Sonic 3. Then, several years later, I got Sonic Heroes and really got into the series. Then, several years later, I got Shadow The Hedgehog and really started doubting the series. Then, several years later, I got Sonic 2006 and lost all hope. Then, several years later, I learned of Sonic 4 and all was well again. For now.

So, yeah.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 00:06   #4
Shark_Blade

My first Sonic game was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Being able to play 2 players and having Tails carrying you on flight and battling through the levels beside you was one of the best experience I ever had with my lil bro.

Then came Sonic Adventure (I've got the DX version on PC) and it was truly a master piece. I only wish I had the Dreamcast to play on console as well (Might get a gamecube though..).

I still buy the comics even today. I've got Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, Sonic Super Special, Sonic Archives, Sonic X, Sonic Universe, and lots more. I once sent my artwork to the magazine and they publish my work and I've got a complimentary of the said magazine (the cover is Sonic vs Super Sonic on another planet) with a letter from Sonic! (t's really the editor writing it but he signed it as :

Yours Truly,

*a sonic icon (just like WSOwen02's avatar) signature but drawn with a blue marker*

Sonic,
Hedgehog Extraordinaire.

It only strengthen my love for the blue guy even more.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 00:28   #5
da tomb raider!

Ah, Sonic the Hedgehog. Certainly one of my favourite video game series. I've played most of the Sonic games, spin-offs and all, and I'm fond of almost all of them, my very favourites being Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes. The only one I'm not particularly fond of is Sonic Unleashed, mainly because the daytime levels were shallow and not particularly engaging, the night-time levels were poorly-paced and repetitive, and there weren't enough characters around (not even Knuckles!). I'm probably in the minority, but I quite like most of the characters in the Sonic series, so I wasn't particularly pleased to see so few of them in Unleashed. In any case, though, the game was good enough for me to get to the end of, so overall, yeah, I'm definitely fond of the series and its games. Hurray for Sonic!
da tomb raider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 00:38   #6
Uzi master

ahh sonic the hedgehog, my very first games, or was that rayman? well, I have mega/gems collections sonic advance both adventures (gamecube) shadow the hedgehog and hero's, but I know there are still tons of other sonic gamrs out there you guys?
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 00:51   #7
TR freak

Sonic 1 was the game that got me into gaming. Sonic was the franchise that defined the 16 bit generation and in fact I'd probably say it was the best gaming series of the 90s. Sonic 1 - S&K were all amazing, the first Sonic on the Master System was great and so was Sonic Spinball(I dont care what anyone says. Spinball was amazing!). My favourite 16 bit game was Sonic 3 & Knuckles if that counts as one game. If it doesn't then my favourite was Sonic 2.

I've actually enjoyed most of the 3D Sonic games as well. Heroes was my first 3D Sonic and I loved it. Awesome levels and awesome music. My only real gripe with it is the fact that the special stages are awful and are way too hard. The fact you dont get to see the true ending unless you get all the chaos emeralds just makes this even more annoying. Nevertheless, Heroes is definitely my favourite 3D Sonic game and one of my favourite platformers of last generation.

Sonic Adventure is one of my favourite 3D Sonics as well. I didn't like the hub in SA, I hated Bigs story and the Robot story was pretty boring but I enjoyed the rest of the game very much. It was a fun game, particularly the Sonic and Tails levels.

I hated Sonic Adventure 2 though. Well I liked some of it. I liked the Sonic/Shadow levels. They were awesome, but the other levels were terrible. The treasure hunting levels were god awful and the shooting levels were boring as hell. The game would have been much better if it was just the ten speed levels. It would have been very short but it would have been consistent fun. Short but fun >>>>>>long but inconsistent, frustrating and boring.

I hated Sonic 06. Nuff said.

I loved Sonic and the Secret Rings. The controls could be a bit iffy sometimes, but it was really fun. There was a period I was really addicted to this game. I've clocked in over 30 hours into this game. I loved trying to get gold in as many missions as I could. It's really fast and quite consistent throughout. It's one of my favourite 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Unleashed gives me mixed reactions. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually thought the Werehog wasn't that bad. The only real terrible thing about the Werehog levels was the fact they lasted way too long. Levels lasting up to half hour long, sometimes more? Whos bright I idea was that at Sega? Probably the same idiot who designed Eggmanland, which lasts well over an hour without any save point. Anyway, the real killer to Sonic Unleashed was when you have to go back into levels to collect the medals just to progress the story. That's awful game design. Too many hours of that game were spent looking for those stupid medals.

Now for the good of Unleashed. The Sonic levels are actually very fun. Ok there were alot of cheap deaths you couldn't see coming in those levels, but the checkpoints were always frequent so you didn't have to replay huge sections because of cheap deaths. The levels were all quite short and this helps them be awesome thrill rides and makes them very replayable thanks to the great level design. The scoring system in Unleashed was amazing. Getting S ranks in Unleashed is awesome and very fun. I'm proud to say I've S ranked every single day stage in Unleashed including all side acts plus I've completed every town mission in the game. The cutscenes in Unleashed were great as well and some were quite funny. Robotnik: "Where's the fun in having my plans succeed without any challenge?" That made me lol. The music was also absolutely fantastic. So yeah, with shorter werehog levels and without the stupid medal collecting requirement Unleashed would have been completely amazing. Instead it's partly amazing partly annoying.

The handheld 2D games have been great games as well, although I've never played Advance 2 and 3. Advance 1 was a great game and the Rush games were amazing. Rush Adventure is my favourite handheld Sonic.

So yeah that's my thoughts on the Sonic games. Wow this is a long post! Anyway I'm really looking forward to Sonic 4. It should be great fun. The lack of Tails and Knuckles being playable is disappointing though. Hopefully in episode 2 they'll come back.
TR freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 00:54   #8
Legend of Lara

I looooooooove Adventure 2. It's so hot and sexy.

Last edited by Legend of Lara; 11-06-11 at 17:00.
Legend of Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 01:03   #9
TR freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Lara View Post
YES!
I thought I was the only one who didn't like SA2 because most fans seem to treat it like the holy grail.
Yeah I just dont get the love for SA2 either. I'd say next to 06 it's the worst 3D Sonic game there is.
TR freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 01:10   #10
trlestew

I only recently got into the old sonics a few months ago
trlestew is offline   Reply With Quote