Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-12-11, 05:14   #1
lcroft_lc

Default What's the last game you Completed?

So guys what's the last game you completed? Here is mine with a short review. Note that its completely written by me. And if you don't finish this game then skip it cause there are certainly few spoilers.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Assassin's Creed is back again with another major installment, Assassin's Creed: Revelations. This time its the final Assassin's Creed game with Altair and Ezio story. The game begins where the previous installment, Brotherhood left off.

As Ezio Auditore, you can explore the game renditions of Constantinople from 16th century while you can also play as Altair, the first title's protagonist, in Masyaf. And in the modern era, you can play as the main protagonist of the game, Desmond Miles. Does Assassin's Creed: Revelations deliver on its name? Lets find out.

Settings

The game features all three of the major characters from the franchise so far: Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Altaïr Ibn La-Ahad and Desmond Miles. The game takes Ezio to 16th century Constantinople, the crossroads of the world. Constantinople consists of four districts: Constantin, Beyazid, Imperial and Galata. There is an underground city named Cappadocia. There is also Masyaf from the original game. You can play in Masyaf with both Ezio and Altair. And as for Desmond, you have to play with him inside animus island.

In last two titles we have seen Da Vinci as historical character. Revelations also features some historical characters such as Prince Suleiman, Prince Ahmet and Manuel Palaiologos. Ezio is now much older and softer than ever. We see much more human side of Ezio in Revelations. There are two types of guards in Constantinople. The Ottoman and the Byzantines. While Ottomans will not attack you unless you do suspicious things, Byzantines are more attacking minded. They will even attack you if you climb rooftops.

Story

After what happened at the end of the Brotherhood with Desmond, you will now find him in a comatose state trapped inside the animus island. Desmond's mind is fragmented and the only way to return to his body is to continue his ancestors memories unless they have nothing left for them to show Desmond.

When Desmond enters a memory portal, the story of Ezio Auditore resumes after Brotherhood. Ezio has traveled to Masayf to unlock the secrets Altair had previously discovered and to find the true purpose to his order. But when he arrives Masyaf he find this place is overrun by the Templars. Ezio discovers the entrance to Altair's library. He learns that five keys are required to unlock the door which are hidden in Constantinople. Each key is encoded with Altair's memories and relives key moments of Altair's life.

When Ezio arrives in Constantinople he is greeted by Yusuf Tazim, the leader of the local Assassin Order. Ezio also meets with Suleiman, the grandson of current ottoman sultan; Sofia Sartor, a young Italian traveler and book collector, who help Ezio to find the location of Masyaf keys.

Gameplay

As like previous installment the game follows an open-world gameplay. But if you think it is same in Revelations, then you are wrong. There are plenty of new additions to the gameplay in Revelations. The most three significant additions are the hook-blade, bomb-crafting and den defense. The hook-blade can be used to zip-line across the city or grab enemies to surprise them for a combo attack. It also helps Ezio to reach extra few inch when jumping from one rooftop to another, or to a higher platform up ahead. Another new addition is bomb-crafting. There are plenty of bomb ingredients scattered throughout the city. You can collect them and its possible to make 300 different bomb variations. Bombs can be lethal, tactical or diversional.

As like Brotherhood, you can capture enemy districts from Templars. The way to capture them is similar to Brotherhood. You just have to kill the den leader & signal fire by burning a tower. But there are few additional enemy units this time like Rifleman, some of them are hiding behind barricades. If a den is under Assassin control, Templars will attempt to recapture that district. Ezio have to defend it using a mini game called "Den Defense". There you have to control a group of assassins from rooftops against several waves of Templar soldiers and siege equipment.

Once you free a district from Templar control you can recruit assassins. Recruiting assassins missions are now very different. Sometimes you have to someone to join the assassins, sometime you have to beat him in a race or sometime you have to kill someone to make them join the assassins. Once recruited you can send them to Mediterranean defense. You will have now more assassin missions to send them. Each of the mission will decrease the Templar control in that area and increase assassin control. They will bring money and XP and you can spend the XP to upgrade their armor and weapons. You can also call your recruits to help you throughout the entire campaign.

Controlling a district will allow you to renovate all the shops and landmarks in that area. Medical shop, tailor shop, blacksmith is present but art merchant shop is replaced with Book Shops. Stables is also missing as there are no horses this time in the game. You can purchase weapons, armors from Blacksmith, dye cloths or purchase parachute from tailor shops, buy medicine, poison from Medical shop or buy books and treasure maps from Book Shops. There are some black market seller too. You can purchase bombs from them at a higher price.

Eagle Vision has been modified into Eagle Sense, which can allow the player to focus on a character and determine the route they have taken. So you can assume where they will go.

The notoriety meter is present. You have to bribe heralds or kill corrupted officer to turn it down but tearing off wanted posters is absent. You might be disappointed not to see horse riding in Revelations. But there are tunnels in Constantinople to help you travel from one place to another quickly. You still can pickpocket someone.

Combat system is like previous time. But with the help of Hook-blade, you can now perform more combos. Finishing moves are more awesome this time around with a slow-motion final move. There is a secondary attack button this time which help you to alternate faster between melee combat and range weapon.

Systemic events might occur as you walk around the city. Citizens will ask for your help. Some of them might ask you to help carry boxes to a dock, someone might challenge you to a brawl. They will reward you for your assistance. If you are running or walking in the street, suddenly you might be attacked by a stalker. Those stalker may come from anywhere and take some of your health.

The final new addition is Desmond's Journey. As you collect memory fragments throughout Constantinople, a first person mission called 'Journey' will be unlocked in Animus Island. In those missions you have to create solid grounds to approach forward. Its similar to Portal. Its very innovative idea in a game like this but if you don't like this you can completely ignore it as they are optional.

Design

The 16th century Constantinople is a city with people of all races, religions and cultures. It is one of the most beautifully immersive open world settings we have ever explored. Each area has its own settings. You will see beggars lined up in the streets of Galata districts, lots of gardens and mosques in Imperial districts, huge galleons floating at the Docks area, various types of merchant around the Grand Bazaar.

The streets are much more livelier than before. Sometimes when walking on these streets, you have to stop and admire the view, listen to the peoples. There aren't horse this time but climbing, jumping, leaping and using is so much enjoyable this time that I don't use the tunnels that often.

Engine is still same but graphical details are much more improved. You can easily notice fire burning, butterflies & birds flying in the air, and huge improvement in lightning, reflections and weather effects.

There are various types of NPC around Constantinople. Your action will attract their attention and they will comment about your actions. If you stand near a crowd gathering, you may hear people commenting on political developments relevant to the story progression.

There is an echo system inside the Hagia Sophia which is first time introduced in a game. Ezio's costume is changed in this game like he doesn't wear a cape on his left shoulder like he does in the previous installments.

Presentation

The narrative storytelling is very promising this time. Cinematics are much improved than before and very well presented. Voice acting is very top class and makes you feel you are listening from the 16th century peoples. Jesper Kyd returns to compose yet another fantastic soundtrack with Lorne Balfe. Revelations presentation manages to impress overall. Now in Revelations you actually feel like a mentor.

The Good
  • An unforgettable story with lots of surprise and emotional moments.
  • Cinematics, character animation, movement of the crowds, lightning & reflection of graphics is very much improved.
  • All the main story missions and side missions are very much different from one another.
  • Plenty of you-gotta-be-kidding-me moments throughout the game specially last few sequences.
  • Yet another fantastic soundtrack and voice acting is as close to movie standard.
  • Set-piece moments like chasing down a boat in fast-flowing underground channel, escape from a burning boat or fight with a Templar leader in mid-air is just exhilarating and ramp up your excitement.

The Bad
  • There aren't enough side missions.

My Review Scores:

Gameplay: 9.5/10
Graphics: 9.7/10
Design: 9.7/10
Presentation: 9.5/10
Plot/Story: 9.6/10
Audio/Music: 9.7/10
Overall: 9.6/10

Closing Comments
Does Assassin's Creed: Revelations deliver on its name?

Assassin's Creed has always been full of innovation as a series, with each successive instalment building on what's gone before, but adding new features and gameplay mechanics. Assassin's Creed: Revelations deliver very creative and the most complete game in the franchise. Revelations is much more polished than previous titles in every way.

If you are a fan of this franchise, your dedication will certainly pay off. You may dislike couple of things like Den defense or Desmond's journey but if you are looking for an unforgettable fast paced action-adventure game, Assassin's Creed: Revelations will be your best shot.

My other reviews on this thread:

Last edited by lcroft_lc; 02-06-13 at 17:43.
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 05:45   #2
Shark_Blade

Haven't play that so I'm skipping it.

Finished Uncharted 3, it's a bit slow and sluggish at the beginning, but once I arrived in Egypt it got exciting.

Hmm...it's good but UC2 is superior in terms of graphic and story imo. UC3 can't beat Batman Arkham City this year. Still an entertaining game though, young Drake is adorable eventhough his hair looks fake.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 05:50   #3
Tear

Saints Row The Third.

Great game, but advertisements made the game look more promising than it really was.

Still a fantastic game, possibly 7-8/10, but I was expecting closer to a 9.
Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 06:20   #4
robm_2007

Saints Row: The Third.

It was a disappointment, similar to Fable III.

7/10.
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 06:31   #5
tomblover

Like I said in the "last game you played" thread, I finished Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines a while ago.

Acquired it via Steam when it was on a 75% discount back in July... I'd always wanted to play the game, so I was like *add to cart instantly*, and it's been nothing short of a love story (the 'cheesy airport paperback' kind) ever since.

The reason for me not finishing it until now is that I was sidetracked and didn't start playing for real until last Friday. Mangaminx started a Let's Play on it (I'm a huge Mangaminx fan, anyone else?) at around the same time, effectively helping me rediscover the game.

Great game anyways, one of the best RPGs ever made in my opinion.
It gets a 9/10, but only because of glitchiness that even the fanmade patches cannot seem to fix.

Last edited by tomblover; 05-12-11 at 06:36.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 07:18   #6
Ashnod

Dragon Age: Origins.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 08:02   #7
klona
Golden

Ratchet and Clank : Tools of Destruction
My Review Scores:
Gameplay: 7.0/10
Graphics: 7.8/10
Design: 8.8/10
Presentation: 7.9/10
Plot/Story: 10/10
Audio/Music: 5/10
Overall: 7.8/10

Wasn't as fun as R&C2 or R&C3, It felt really linear, I felt the freedom was gone this time.
R&C2,3 FOREVER<3

Last edited by klona; 05-12-11 at 16:46. Reason: adding my review scores!
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 10:34   #8
jarekhanzelka

AC: Revelations...7/10
jarekhanzelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 10:52   #9
trfanX34

Waaayy better than Black Ops.
trfanX34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 13:42   #10
Dia2blo

I've completed so many games in the last couple months, but the latest (if it counts as being completed) was Mario Kart 7.

It is definitely the best MK game!
Dia2blo is offline   Reply With Quote