Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 26-04-15, 20:34   #21
AkyV

@Titak:
Shouldn't it be a sticky thread? (Just asking. Maybe it shouldn't.)
AkyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-15, 21:07   #22
maati139

Fixing bugs:
- problem with distance fog and transparent faces which I reported some time ago http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...6&postcount=50 I would be really nice to fix this
maati139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-15, 21:48   #23
ggctuk

A couple of enemy based ideas:

-change number of gunshots/projectiles per animation and change type (gunshot, demigod blast, grenade etc)
-enable dumbfire for demigod/harpy/setha energy attacks
-Alter or remove trail effects from demigod energy attacks
-enable headshots through scripting which mesh is treated as head
-enable Pierre TR1 behaviour for enemies when their health reaches a certain value. Maybe advance it through AI Follow commands that the enmy ignores until the health hits an assigned value.
-fix demigod3 bug which frezes all demigod1/2/3 that were triggered after first demigod3
-Reassign head and firing meshes (can do this with TR WAD Organizer but not everybody is going to understand how to use it, nor will they always want to research original mesh tree vs. custom object mesh tree)

Weapons:

-attach scope to weapons other than crossbow and revolver
-not sure if this is already in but remove choosing of ammo types
-switch between revolver/desert eagle and magnums/automatic pistols
-Crossbow explosive ammo and grenades should hurt Lara when they go off.
-Torch modifier: You can disable the ability to light the torch and also have the ability to have melee attacks with the torch.

Editor:

-enable corners on ceilings when you ctrl+click as they do on the floor
-diagonal walls
-texture blending modes

Last edited by ggctuk; 14-05-15 at 21:41.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 09:16   #24
EssGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
EssGee - with the newest TRNG the editor changes the way it hides objects. Instead of deleting them it only stops rendering them, so even if you add a new object or save while the option is on, it should still preserve everything. I personally turned off notifications about this entirely because they're out of date and only cause confusion.
Aha! Thanks for this info. Guess I can tick that item off my wish list.
EssGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 09:30   #25
Caesum

^ No problem. And yeah, the new Hide Objects version is perfect.

Btw, I have updated my post with new ideas. I remember I always wanted them for both Forgotten Remnants and a project I'm working on(kinda) right now.

Quote:
  • Command to decide how enemies react to each weapon(like mummies when shot using shotgun/revolver).
  • Command to decide if enemy is friendly or hostile to Lara/enemies. With a possibility to pick particular enemies.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 12:14   #26
Joey79100

I agree on most of the suggestions here, especially the ones regarding NGLE's performances and reverberation.
I would like to add another suggestion about sounds too:

-----------------------

There's no possibility to really customize footstep sounds right now. You can replace the ones you're not using or the ones that are already used and enabled in-game... But it would be very cool to actually be able to at least add other sounds and customize those already existing.

For example, seperating grass and sand, because... why not having seperated sounds for both types of ground? Or, "old wood" and "old metal" that are using simply the wood and metal sounds. And there's no difference between them (at least I haven't heard any). And this "concrete" that seems not even to exist at all, it makes no sound ingame.
The stone is already assigned to the default foot sound and we can't make it additionnal.
If I want, for example, use a carpet sound in one level that has no wood for example, I'll replace the wood by the carpet... but then, I have to use different sound files, and even if that's what some people are doing, it's not really a convenient way to work for everyone. If you want to make, for example, a change to a sound that is used in several levels, you need to do it in each file each time. Waste of time.

The ice sound actually isn't directly available, but in the code it's still present since TR3. Line 283 (just after the mud). In the sounds.txt file, it's actually a sound of the horseman, but if you add it in your level and apply ice footsteps for some textures, it's actually these sounds that will play. If you don't use a horseman, (and even if you do as you can change the sound for it anyway), you can replace the line with this:
Code:
FOOTSTEPS_ICE:		fs_ice1 fs_ice2			VOL30	P V		PIT40		#g
For the snow, it's a... different but also similar story. It acutally uses the line of the marble footstep (line 293, just after the wood). Because it was this way in TR3. So in the little window, the Snow entry is completely useless. It's the same case as the sand and grass. Technically it's also the same case as wood and old wood. Or metal and old metal. You want a proof? You can test it by yourself, or have a look at the files that had leaked with the SDK in 2013 (there's the Sounds.tr3.txt file in it).

When you set a texture sound to Stone, it actually stops playing any footstep sound. Why? Because in the animations, it plays two things. For example, in an animation, when one foot hits the ground:
Code:
1 - Play Sound on land. Frame:5, SoundID:0
2 - Play effect. Frame:4, Effect:Play step sound on land
The first line plays the sound with ID 0: the first of the sounds.txt file: the stone sound, as we know it.
The second line plays an "effect" (like in flipeffect): here it's about playing the sound of the texture Lara is walking on. For example, sand. As a result, with these two lines, you'll here the stone sound + the sand sound. But if she's walking on a stone texture, they decided not to play anything with the effect line, (because if it did, you would hear two stone sounds when one foot hits the ground). That means only the Play Sound line will actually have a consequence: it will still play the stone default sound step sound.
This is how it works in TRLE. Maybe you'll ask me now "Then why, in the NGLE window, where it's written the name of the sample played, it's written foot01.wav... when the Stone is selected?". It's only plain text actually. If you change it in your sounds.txt file, or anywhere, it won't change anything in the program.

To sum up, even if there are 13 sounds showing up in the little window where you set them up, we're actually limited to a number of 8 footsteps sounds (exculding water):
- Stone - ID 0
- Mud - ID 288
- Ice - ID 289
- Gravel - ID 290
- Sand (& grass) - ID 291
- Wood (& old wood) - ID 292
- Marble (& snow) - ID 293
- Metal (& old metal) - ID 294

We could, only using the original list, have 6 more sounds, that means 13 total sounds:
- Stone
- Mud
- Ice
- Gravel
- Sand
- Grass
- Wood
- Old Wood
- Marble
- Snow
- Metal
- Old Metal
- Concrete
And only with that we could have different types of ground than these names of course.
And imagine if we could add as many as we wanted...
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 15:08   #27
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
The ice sound actually isn't directly available, but in the code it's still present since TR3. Line 283 (just after the mud). In the sounds.txt file, it's actually a sound of the horseman, but if you add it in your level and apply ice footsteps for some textures, it's actually these sounds that will play. If you don't use a horseman, (and even if you do as you can change the sound for it anyway), you can replace the line with this:
Code:
FOOTSTEPS_ICE:		fs_ice1 fs_ice2			VOL30	P V		PIT40		#g
It is number 289 that comes after the mud line. So should it be 289 then?

Either way, I did not know this and since I've used all footsteps lines this will be a nice addition.

The way I've been doing it now is to have a seperate sounds.txt for each level.
So in one level I'll have different woodsounds, grass, sand, mud, metal and in another one I have different metal sounds and dirt, gravel and mud for example.
It works, but the list is indeed kinda limited and I have to remember which line uses which sound, because now "sand" could actually be wood for example.

Croft Manor:
Code:
288 FOOTSTEPS_MUD:            fs_mud1 fs_mud3 fs_mud4           VOL10                   PIT-10   RAD06  #g 
290 FOOTSTEPS_GRAVEL:         fs_grvm3 fs_grvm4 fs_grvm5        VOL10                            RAD06  #g
291 FOOTSTEPS_SAND_&_GRASS:   fs_grs1 fs_grs2 fs_grs3 fs_grs4   VOL10                            RAD06  #CM
292 FOOTSTEPS_WOOD:           fs_wd1 fs_wd2 fs_wd3 fs_wd4       VOL10                            RAD06  #CM
293 FOOTSTEPS_MARBLE:         fs_drt1 fs_drt2 fs_drt3 fs_drt4   VOL10                            RAD06  #CM
294 FOOTSTEPS_METAL:          fs_met1 fs_met2 fs_met3           VOL15                            RAD06  #CM
The "marble" line is now used for dirt, which sounds different than sand and gravel.

Coastal level:
Code:
288 FOOTSTEPS_MUD:            fs_mud1 fs_mud3 fs_mud4           VOL20                            RAD06  #g 
290 FOOTSTEPS_GRAVEL:         fs_snd1 fs_snd2 fs_snd3           VOL15                            RAD06  #g
291 FOOTSTEPS_SAND_&_GRASS:   fs_grs1 fs_grs2 fs_grs3 fs_grs4   VOL20                            RAD06  #g 
292 FOOTSTEPS_WOOD:           fs_wd1 fs_wd2 fs_wd3 fs_wd4       VOL20                            RAD06  #g 
293 FOOTSTEPS_MARBLE:         fs_wdcr1 fs_wdcr2 fs_wdcr3        VOL30                            RAD06  #MC 
294 FOOTSTEPS_METAL:          fs_met1 fs_met2 fs_met3           VOL20                            RAD06  #g
In this level the "marble" line is used for a creaky wood sound which is different from the regular wood sound.

Caves level:
Code:
288 FOOTSTEPS_MUD:            fs_mud1 fs_mud3 fs_mud4           VOL10                            RAD06  #g         
290 FOOTSTEPS_GRAVEL:         fs_grv3 fs_grv4 fs_grv5           VOL10                            RAD06  #g 
291 FOOTSTEPS_SAND_&_GRASS:   fs_drt1 fs_drt2 fs_drt3 fs_drt4   VOL10                            RAD06  #KA
292 FOOTSTEPS_WOOD:           fs_wd1 fs_wd2 fs_wd3 fs_wd4       VOL10                            RAD06  
293 FOOTSTEPS_MARBLE:         fs_mb1 fs_mb2 fs_mb3              VOL25                            RAD06  #KA 
294 FOOTSTEPS_METAL:          fs_met1 fs_met2 fs_met3           VOL15                            RAD06
I'm not using all footsteps sounds in this level but I do in the other two levels and I wanted to use more if possible, like have something that sounds more like walking on a layer of dead leaves. (which should now be possible after all if line 289 can indeed be used!)

Still all pretty standard, but it would indeed be nice if we could have more different lines for footsteps effects.
It sounds so nice when you hear different sounds when running on different surfaces.

Or walking for that matter... TR2013 has wonderfull footsteps sounds and there's a difference between running and walking. We can ofcourse use different default stone sounds for walking (simply assign to the walking animations) but the effects used when walking are the same than the ones used for running, so when it comes to the effects, there won't be a difference. Well, now I'm rambling... This could actually be possible through scripting with conditions... kinda like the way it is possible to stop the default stone sound when a footstep effect is playing.

And speaking of sounds, has this one been mentioned yet?
  • Sounds sounding different depending on what sort of a room you are in.
    In the editor you can pick "ouside", "small room", "medium room", "large room" and "pipe" but this does not have any effect.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 15:25   #28
Joey79100

^
These flags are the ones used for the reverb. And they work, it's the engine that doesn't play any reverb, but if you can open your levels in OpenTomb for example you will hear the corresponding reverb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
It is number 289 that comes after the mud line. So should it be 289 then?
Oops, my bad, it's indeed sound 289.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Or walking for that matter... TR2013 has wonderfull footsteps sounds and there's a difference between running and walking. We can ofcourse use different default stone sounds for walking (simply assign to the walking animations) but the effects used when walking are the same than the ones used for running, so when it comes to the effects, there won't be a difference. Well, now I'm rambling... This could actually be possible through scripting with conditions... kinda like the way it is possible to stop the default stone sound when a footstep effect is playing.
It's easy to script indeed: if XXX sound is playing and Lara's animation=YYY, then stop XXX sound and play ZZZ sound.
That just made me think of something: if you put a condition on a square (if XXX sound is playing) and a trigger for two others flipeffects (stop XXX sound and play ZZZ sound), it could be used for additional sounds on specific sectors! The same way, it could be used in the script with a condition on the room number if you want to apply this for a whole room or even several rooms... and actually it's easy and can easily be changed.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 16:29   #29
Titak

Quote:
^
These flags are the ones used for the reverb. And they work, it's the engine that doesn't play any reverb, but if you can open your levels in OpenTomb for example you will hear the corresponding reverb.
So the engine needs to have something changed.
Perhaps Paolone knows something about this.

Quote:
It's easy to script indeed: if XXX sound is playing and Lara's animation=YYY, then stop XXX sound and play ZZZ sound.
That just made me think of something: if you put a condition on a square (if XXX sound is playing) and a trigger for two others flipeffects (stop XXX sound and play ZZZ sound), it could be used for additional sounds on specific sectors! The same way, it could be used in the script with a condition on the room number if you want to apply this for a whole room or even several rooms... and actually it's easy and can easily be changed.
Indeed the scripting I was thinking off.
Boy... talk about expanding a script!
I think it is time to reconsider using the #include files.

Oh no... knowing this makes we want to implement it and I just finished another round of changing footsteps sounds!
Well, I have an excuse not to do it right away: I'm on my laptop and I prefer editing sound on my PC because it has better sound.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-15, 17:06   #30
AODfan

Agree with everything that's been mentioned so far

Additionally I'd like to suggest audio files that play depending on the language the game is being played in. So for example when the game is being played in english the game will play "064_cutscene_en.ogg" while it will play "064_cutscene_de.ogg" when the game is set to german. That way people won't have to overwrite files if the builder decides to make his level available in more than one language.
Making the feature customize-able in the script would also be great
That also makes me wonder if it's possible to change the language in-game somehow

Another thing I'd like to see is the ability to store #include files in folders. I'm using them quite a lot so my scripts folder is very messy. It would be great if you could create folders in the scripts folder like "Traps" for example and then just type "#Include 'Traps\Darts.txt'" or something along the lines in your script.
AODfan is offline   Reply With Quote