Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-02-18, 18:26   #1
TR FAN 18

Default Additional save slots in Metal Gear Survive cost £8 / $10

I wish I was making this up!

Quote:
Konami's Metal Gear Survive - the first in the Metal Gear series since creator Hideo Kojima's departure - is out in the UK today. It's an okay video game! But it also contains one of the more bizarre - and perhaps obnoxious - examples of microtransactions I've seen in a full price video game to date.

Metal Gear Survive contains a second currency powered by 'SV Coins' - coins that can only be purchased with real money - which enable access to XP boosters during your playthrough. All fairly mucky stuff, really, and nothing I'd condone - cosmetic items, at a push, are okay, though if you're willingly breaking your own game in exchange for cold hard cash I think you're admitting your progression system might be kind of broken already - but Metal Gear Survive does something fairly new to me.

In exchange for 1000 SV coins - around £7.99, seeing as that's how much a bundle of 1150 coins will cost you - you unlock access to an additional character slot. And that's the only way you can access an additional character slot.
Source: Eurogamer (not linking due to swearing on page)

I can't believe we're getting nonsense like this in a game that costs £35!
TR FAN 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-18, 19:52   #2
Quebsenuef

I’m waiting to see this game bombed so bad we should call it the Davy Crockett Atomic Battle Group Delivery System.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-18, 21:11   #3
JimbobJeffers

I'm hoping that publishers keep pulling ridiculous moves like this enough that SWBF2-style fiascos repeat on larger and larger scales, eventually leading to a big push back that ends it altogether. But that might just be a pipe dream...

Personally I've hopped on the wait-one-year bandwagon, not buying any games with DLC or unwarranted MTX until at least a year after release. If that means missing out on multiplayer then so be it! I've been kept busy with Overwatch and Mass Effect 3 long enough to not need other multiplayer games.
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-18, 23:31   #4
matrix54

And this is how far we’ve fallen... paying for save slots.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 00:06   #5
tomblover

Character slot, y'all. That's not the same thing as a save slot. Even the article consistently uses the former term.

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, because I don't like this **** either, but this has been a longstay of pay-per-month MMOs for as long as I can remember.
XP boosters too, obviously, but I suppose those broke out into the realm of full-priced retail titles (which this game is not, anyway) before this did, so their inclusion is not as headline-worthy...

You have to remember (and I have to predicate this on me having understood the type of game this MGS is, but never mind that ) that in online-only type scenarios, you have character slots rather than save slots.
It's very typical for MMOs to offer extra character slots as part of some premium package you have to pay with hard cash for, so you can have several that you switch between, rather than just the one "main".

You're never actually putting the same character across several slots, though. This isn't about saving your progress.

(well, unless you're doing some tricky **** boosting your own progression or whatever, but that depends on the game and I wouldn't know )

It's just being able to have different characters on the same account, which you strictly don't need to, since these kinds of online-only environments are usually built to facilitate the long-term, committed use of a single character anyway.

EDIT: I'm not saying different characters isn't nice to have anyway for free, mind you -- I did say I didn't like this **** either. I just think it's probably not as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

Last edited by tomblover; 24-02-18 at 00:32.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-18, 00:27   #6
KManX89

Wow, as if I NEEDED any more reason not to buy this half-baked disgrace of a game.

#F*cKonami.
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 17:43   #7
LuigiEspadachin

Nothing new to Metal Gear, actually. The MGS4 Online mode required you to pay for additional character slots too but as far as I recall at least there the second character slot was free. Kind of worse here though since as I understand it this is your single player character and your multiplayer character.

Still bad though. It's a shame. The beta actually made Survive look kinda fun.
LuigiEspadachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-18, 17:56   #8
charmedangelin

Konami is trash, what more is there to say. It's really heart breaking to know that IPs like Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania are forever under their control. I honestly believe that they know that the game is dead on arrival and just don't care about anything anymore. They know they're going out of business and they couldn't care less. Maybe the IPs will become available after they go bankrupt and are forced to sell off all of their IPs in order to break even.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 13:29   #9
redfox45

The only thing sadder is that people are still buying it.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/..._in_the_top_10

I guess negative attention is still attention and enough to still shift units.
a.k.a the DmC: Devil May Cry sales technique, except unlike Capcom, Konami didn't do it on purpose.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-18, 15:28   #10
matrix54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Character slot, y'all. That's not the same thing as a save slot. Even the article consistently uses the former term.

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, because I don't like this **** either, but this has been a longstay of pay-per-month MMOs for as long as I can remember.
XP boosters too, obviously, but I suppose those broke out into the realm of full-priced retail titles (which this game is not, anyway) before this did, so their inclusion is not as headline-worthy...

You have to remember (and I have to predicate this on me having understood the type of game this MGS is, but never mind that ) that in online-only type scenarios, you have character slots rather than save slots.
It's very typical for MMOs to offer extra character slots as part of some premium package you have to pay with hard cash for, so you can have several that you switch between, rather than just the one "main".

You're never actually putting the same character across several slots, though. This isn't about saving your progress.

(well, unless you're doing some tricky **** boosting your own progression or whatever, but that depends on the game and I wouldn't know )

It's just being able to have different characters on the same account, which you strictly don't need to, since these kinds of online-only environments are usually built to facilitate the long-term, committed use of a single character anyway.

EDIT: I'm not saying different characters isn't nice to have anyway for free, mind you -- I did say I didn't like this **** either. I just think it's probably not as big a deal as it's being made out to be.
It’s a save slot because that’s the only way to have progress/data separate from another character.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote