Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 04-10-18, 16:11   #61
archfiend

Well Tomb Raider 3 is like a family member. No matter how it annoys you or trolls you you can't give up loving it.
archfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 16:39   #62
jackraider
Inactive

I don't know if I've already posted in here, but TR3 is a game I love to come back to, particularly the PSX version due to the challenge. I love the save crystals as it really immerses you into the game more than the PC version, which plays it too safe via the unlimited saves. When I'm not loving on TR2's Venice levels, I think TR3 is my favorite TR entry to date. I love the variety in this one and the choose-your-adventure globe trotting. I'm still sad this was never expanded upon in future games except that Chronicles comes close with the episodic level structure. TR3 hands down is the peak of the franchise for me at least for the Core Design era.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-18, 19:06   #63
TR1249

Just finished TR 3 like 5 Minutes ago and I will add myself to the title of this thread.

I never really liked it but now that I played it again, I appreciate it a lot more. I think Shadow made me like it more
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 12:16   #64
moodydog

For me, TR3 is probably my all time favourite game. The locations are incredibly diverse and feel inspired. They epitomise TR, especially India, the South Pacific and Antartica. There is a good balance between modern and ancient civilisations. I would probably replace London with TR2's Venice, or even Tokyo... not that I hated London, I just though that Venice was a much better location for a modern setting.
I also really liked half of the Navada levels. I mean the first level felt great. I also really liked escaping from the high security compound, but I thought they could have taken it another direction, like discovering a temple in the middle of the desert. But then again, they took us to Area 51- which was probably the natural thing to do. I dunno, I thought it was too short actually.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 13:39   #65
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
TR3 hands down is the peak of the franchise for me at least for the Core Design era.
I agree. I think TRIV was already a step down to be honest, although that's probably an unpopular opinion. TR3 was the last one that truly built upon the previous titles and added new stuff.

TRIV was great puzzle-wise, but also lacking in a sense of giving you that satisfactory feeling. The enemies were kinda... ehh and their programming was a little broken at times. There also wasn't as much diversity and even a few dull levels. Add to that the disappearing corpses, the limited weapon arsenal, missing underwater combat, the broken amount of shotgun ammo you get early on, the lack of proper bosses, removal of level statistics etc. + their engine was getting outdated by that time.

I feel like TRIII is a true masterpiece and the last TR game that truly impressed within the classic timeline.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-18, 12:36   #66
fallenangle

I'd always argue for TR3 as the zenith of Core's TR series. It is without question my favourite TR game and has been for years despite my love for the original and TR2 and the fact that when I first played PS TR3 I found it very frustrating.

TR1 set the standard, TR2 raised it up even further and it peaked with TR3/TLA. TR4, which I've come to appreciate much more over the years, I'd say plateaued rather than dipped. However I can understand those who felt it less satisfying for the reasons stated.

The real dip came with TR5 which whilst a decent enough game was rip off short, added little new and messed up some of the things that might have made it a much more interesting and original TR game ie. the stealth elements.

The result was, mostly, a repeat what had been done better in the three previous games. It felt more like an extended expansion pack for TR4 at times. I still enjoyed it but when you add in the final level's glitches and review it standalone the dip was more like a steep descent.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-18, 23:17   #67
Delamo1999

I love TRIII. I'm stuck at the last boss battle, but I will figure it out eventually. I love the tech mines. It is a real trip. This is a game I'm definately playing again. I'm going to play the levels in a different order to see what happens. There are a few tricky things like timed runs, but I got through them on about the 10th try. The puzzles were fun. I love the old style movements like roll and backjump. I played it with a controller which I mapped the commands. I felt I had more control than with the keyboard and mouse. I have had a blast playing and look forward to finishing.
Delamo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 13:26   #68
fallenangle

Good luck with the Willard fight. Even if you know how to do it one mistake or mistimed run and it is a restart. I've done it with pistols only and no saves just to prove I could really, and it was one of the toughest most frustrating boss fights I can ever remember doing.

The worst thing is actually beating Willard and then messing up the section that comes afterwards. I recommend saving at the end of the fight on a free slot before doing anything else.

Agree about using a controller with a PC too. I admire those who can play any TR on keyboard and mouse for their dexterity. A controller is actually a dedicated, ergonomic gaming keyboard, a tool designed for the job.

I use a genuine original PS Sony Dualshock 1 with a simple USB adapter. If you map it as for the PS TRs, which can be done pretty much perfectly, and use the d-pad for movement IMHO you're getting the intended, authentic TR experience.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 23:59   #69
Greatest TR

Tomb Raider 3 is an interesting one because it has a love hate relationship with the hardcore fans.

It's my personal favorite of the series but I'll give it an objective review to help somebody out.

The pros are pretty clear. New moves for Lara. New vehicles and new weapons too. You have more options to approach the level and believe me you'll need it. Also the different environments are incredible as you'll be navigating through swamps, temples, cities, stations, villages and mines. The levels are masterfully designed and look rather excellent for standards back then.

However I would not recommend this game to a beginner of the series. This is a true test of the expert raider. Why? Well the difficulty is rather extreme. The levels are long, brutal and they will punish you for the smallest of mistakes. If you know what you are doing the 2nd level will take you over 30 minutes to complete. If that's not bad enough you only have limited saves and you'll be starving to save your game. Patience and expertise is a must in this game. ( For me, I prefer the limited save crystal)

My other plus favorite is how dark this game is. You can't adjust the brightness and flares are cut in half in length compared to Tomb Raider 2. Most gamers moaned about this but I don't .

My rating is 10 stars despite these reasons because the difficulty is the magic of Tomb Raider 3. I find myself coming back to this time and time again to test and push my skills. The puzzles,combat and exploration are top notch.

Definitely play it. Stop moaning, Just brush up your skills first and play the Playstation version if you want a real challenging with the limited save crystal, end of result You'll get complete satisfaction

My favourite game of the entire classic series, the music is amazing and the storyline is awesome.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 08:22   #70
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
The pros are pretty clear. New moves for Lara. New vehicles and new weapons too. You have more options to approach the level and believe me you'll need it. Also the different environments are incredible as you'll be navigating through swamps, temples, cities, stations, villages and mines. The levels are masterfully designed and look rather excellent for standards back then.

However I would not recommend this game to a beginner of the series. This is a true test of the expert raider. Why? Well the difficulty is rather extreme. The levels are long, brutal and they will punish you for the smallest of mistakes. If you know what you are doing the 2nd level will take you over 30 minutes to complete. If that's not bad enough you only have limited saves and you'll be starving to save your game. Patience and expertise is a must in this game. ( For me, I prefer the limited save crystal)

My other plus favorite is how dark this game is. You can't adjust the brightness and flares are cut in half in length compared to Tomb Raider 2. Most gamers moaned about this but I don't .

My rating is 10 stars despite these reasons because the difficulty is the magic of Tomb Raider 3. I find myself coming back to this time and time again to test and push my skills. The puzzles,combat and exploration are top notch.

My favourite game of the entire classic series, the music is amazing and the storyline is awesome.
I agree with most that you said except that its (for me) not better on the playstation. The PC lets you up the resolution to a crisp HD image which is really welcome if you're replaying this game in 2019. And the darkness from the PS is more an annoyance than anything else. Added challenge just because you can't see anything isn't all that fun. Besides, people would just adjust the brightness of their TVs anyway.

The limited crystal save system is another controversial one. I always use a patch for the PC which removes them completely (so you can't use them as a free health consumption). But saving everywhere is kind of a must in TRIII. It will save you from a lot of frustration. Because again, I like difficulty because a certain strong enemy or a few boulders coming down quickly. I don't like forced difficulty like "here's a very random, unpredictable death trap that will force you to replay a whole part of the game".
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote