Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 13-03-10, 17:09   #1
techno-atom

Default Fun isn't enough for video games.

Just as a warning for the younger viewers. This video does contain some cursing.

I ran across an interesting video a few minutes ago on Youtube. I actually do agree with this guy and I'm glad I'm not the only one. As an art form, video games have endless possibilities to express themselves. But it's a shame that most developers tend to only capitalize on violence as the groundwork.

techno-atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 19:10   #2
VonCroy360

The difference between games and films is that films have a much, much wider audience - practically everyone is the customer of the film industry, really, so everything is profitable. The gamer audience is much more narrow, making plenty of alternative thinking in game development completely unprofitable. One day, when the gamer audience expands, definitely. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.
VonCroy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 19:26   #3
Alive_and_Funky

There certainly are games around now that I wouldn't class as fun. Look at most RPGs: would you say they are actually fun to play? I wouldn't, but I certainly find a lot of them to be enjoyable.
Some developers certainly do just focus on their games being fun to play though. I read this article not too long ago about a speech from someone at a games event of some kind saying how games need to expand the range of emotions that they can evoke. He also said that if this doesn't happen then video games will end up in a cultural ghetto, comparing it to how there are hardly any comic books (ignoring manga) that are not about superheroes.
Alive_and_Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 19:42   #4
Encore

Video games aren't art. I wish some people would just get over it already. What's wrong with comic books being about super heroes and video games being about fun? Maybe I'm just too old school to comprehend the importance of video games' "affirmation" or whatever..
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 19:43   #5
techno-atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky View Post
There certainly are games around now that I wouldn't class as fun. Look at most RPGs: would you say they are actually fun to play? I wouldn't, but I certainly find a lot of them to be enjoyable.
Some developers certainly do just focus on their games being fun to play though. I read this article not too long ago about a speech from someone at a games event of some kind saying how games need to expand the range of emotions that they can evoke. He also said that if this doesn't happen then video games will end up in a cultural ghetto, comparing it to how there are hardly any comic books (ignoring manga) that are not about superheroes.
I find RPG's fun actually. I can't count how many times I've played and completed Final Fantasy VII alone. I actually find the leveling up, fighting, exploration, etc all fun aspects of the game.

"Video games aren't art."

Then neither are movies, books, music and any other artistic medium that requires skill, talent and creativity to produce and invoke emotion in those that watch, listen, read or experience them.

Last edited by techno-atom; 13-03-10 at 19:46.
techno-atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 19:43   #6
dizzydoil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
Video games aren't art*. I wish some people would just get over it already. What's wrong with comic books being about super heroes and video games being about fun? Maybe I'm just too old school to comprehend the importance of video games' "affirmation" or whatever..
*I just lost all respect for you.

dizzydoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 20:03   #7
AmericanAssassin

I agree with every word that man said. I'm a person who looks for meanings and messages in everything. It's most likely the reason I prefer movies and TV shows over video games. I like things I can think about and will make me question different aspects of the world. I'm definitely subscribing.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 20:13   #8
TR freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
Video games aren't art. I wish some people would just get over it already. What's wrong with comic books being about super heroes and video games being about fun? Maybe I'm just too old school to comprehend the importance of video games' "affirmation" or whatever..
I agree with you. Also, this guy seems to be under the misconception that people think violence = fun. The fun thing about games has nothing to do with the level of violence. That's a negative stereotype people use. You think games like Gears of War or GTA are popular just because they're violent? Take Super Mario Galaxy for example. It's simple and fun. It's not meant to be anything other than that. I see no violence in that game. I see only pure awesomeness with the fun factor.
TR freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 20:16   #9
Carbonek_0051
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno-atom View Post

Then neither are movies, books, music and any other artistic medium that requires skill, talent and creativity to produce and invoke emotion in those that watch, listen, read or experience them.
Exactly.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 20:25   #10
Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno-atom View Post

You really don't see the difference? Really? Ok... Video games (and, actually, some music and movies as well) are not created as a form of personal expression of emotion. The creation of a video game is the sum of various parts and the actual creative process is only one of them - marketing viability as well as what is technically possible being other, often bigger elements.

True art is personal expression without restraints. A Video game, primarily designed to be played out by other people, will never be able to achieve that status.

And this, is my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR freak View Post
I agree with you. Also, this guy seems to be under the misconception that people think violence = fun. The fun thing about games has nothing to do with the level of violence. That's a negative stereotype people use. You think games like Gears of War or GTA are popular just because they're violent? Take Super Mario Galaxy for example. It's simple and fun. It's not meant to be anything other than that. I see no violence in that game. I see only pure awesomeness with the fun factor.
Yes exactly.
I think my mindset is too old school because I grew up playing that sort of videogames, and to me the escapism/fun factors are still a big deal.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote