Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 18-07-14, 01:58   #11
jack9267_

Default Multiple Laras

I GOT MULTIPLE LARAS WORKING

sorry had to say it...

http://i.imgur.com/9xz7ti5.png

The ponytails are SEPARATE for them!

This must be the best thing since well I don't know...
jack9267_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 02:09   #12
Mordyga

That is so cool I'm curious what else you can get with that
Mordyga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 03:03   #13
sapper

You don't seem to have made much progress since you were last active on the forum.

Why did you ditch Lua for Squirrel?
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 05:17   #14
jack9267_

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
You don't seem to have made much progress since you were last active on the forum.

Why did you ditch Lua for Squirrel?
Have been busy with college.

Also squirrel offers types such as integer where as lua uses floating points for any number value which breaks colours and large indices. (Which tomb raider uses a lot!)

And also I have indeed made more progress than possibly anyone else modding the executable within the last few hours of me digging into the executable.

When actually working on something I can accomplish a lot and it makes me wonder how TRNG and NGLE is so hacky, although since they modify tomb4.exe directly they are very limited compared to me just modding after launch.

The mod launcher I'm making, I'm thinking of obsoleting SCRIPT.DAT, I hate it. I might just go ahead and make SCRIPT.TXT (ini) with the tr4 file for the puzzle stuff etc. in order to make it so you can double click maps and open them perfectly.

Possibly enumerating maps for the level selection screen.

All these would be separate "hacks" which are different .DLL files which you could just not load.

E.g. Weather.dll would be a patch to add weather support (I'll look into tomos patch for that one and improve but credit for it)
Old 18-07-14, 14:19   #15
disapearing-boy

Wow, that's really impressive. Two Lara's!!

What else can we expect from your mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack9267_ View Post
When actually working on something I can accomplish a lot and it makes me wonder how TRNG and NGLE is so hacky, although since they modify tomb4.exe directly they are very limited compared to me just modding after launch.
I'm not a programmer, but TRNG was developed gradually over years and years, with new features being added/new discoveries being made about how everything works. I'm sure if Palaone were to start over and redo TRNG entirely from scratch, the knowledge he has now would lead to a 'cleaner' hack. However this would render our current level scripts useless!!
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-14, 19:23   #16
jack9267_

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cherRelease.7z

Heres a tester, works on the 3 executables (copy to game folder and run the launcher!).

Hit the O key during gameplay to spawn a second lara

Edit:

Would be nice if someone can get me a project or tr4 or whatever that has water at spawn point and a mirror for testing

Last edited by jack9267_; 18-07-14 at 19:24.
Old 18-07-14, 22:38   #17
HeinzFritz

Jack, I just quick tested your launcher (needed first to download MSVCR110.dll from the net to make it work) and it is simply spectacular!

I did not have time enough to give it a thorough testing, but here are some observations:

First of all, the launcher works even with my heavily TREP modified exe. So far all TREP modifications that I tried seem to function OK, but not with the second, third, fourth etc Lara. For example if I force an animation by a custom Flipeffect, the original Lara performs it, but the re-spawned ones do not.
Curious, the re-spawned Laras are sensitive to collision with objects that do have collision, e.g. when they run into a wall, they stop. On the other hand they pass through each other as if they have no collision.
And another curiosity: The place of re-spawn looks like it is chosen according to Lara's orientation and position at the moment of pressing O, but their starting animation depends on the animation Lara performs, sometimes they run, sometimes they fall from above to the floor etc...
Anyway, it all looks like it will be an amusing weekend with continuing the tests.

Thanks!
HeinzFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-14, 02:24   #18
jack9267_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzFritz View Post
Jack, I just quick tested your launcher (needed first to download MSVCR110.dll from the net to make it work) and it is simply spectacular!

I did not have time enough to give it a thorough testing, but here are some observations:

First of all, the launcher works even with my heavily TREP modified exe. So far all TREP modifications that I tried seem to function OK, but not with the second, third, fourth etc Lara. For example if I force an animation by a custom Flipeffect, the original Lara performs it, but the re-spawned ones do not.
Curious, the re-spawned Laras are sensitive to collision with objects that do have collision, e.g. when they run into a wall, they stop. On the other hand they pass through each other as if they have no collision.
And another curiosity: The place of re-spawn looks like it is chosen according to Lara's orientation and position at the moment of pressing O, but their starting animation depends on the animation Lara performs, sometimes they run, sometimes they fall from above to the floor etc...
Anyway, it all looks like it will be an amusing weekend with continuing the tests.

Thanks!
I spawn it to the right of lara using CreateItem. Its a fluke the respawned ones look like they play the same anim. And not sure yet how tricky it is for collision but its not too important

This is enough to start writing online multiplayer at least!

Edit:

You may want to test using the times demo exe, release game exe and other editor exes. (It should support them all!)

This mod will be powerful and will obsolete all other patches and hacks most likely. Why write "custom flip effects" damaging the exe when you can write up a squirrel file and just code complex logic? Even spawn objects or items dynamically! Trigger flip effects using squirrel play animations etc. the possibilities are endless!

Edit:

With my mod launcher you can from TRLE place multiple of the LARA objects and they will all function as the player.

Last edited by jack9267_; 19-07-14 at 02:40.
Old 19-07-14, 02:53   #19
jack9267_

There are other debug keys I think I registered about 4 of them in total F6 kills all BADDY 1 I think and F2 toggles visibility of items I can't remember hit random keys if you feel lucky like F8 and F9 maybe affect the active item list. (Can crash a game so careful)
Old 19-07-14, 07:03   #20
Lwmte

Well, Lara object always had a lot of globals and unique variables specified, so I think you need to copy them all to function properly. On the other hand, for multiplayer purposes, you only need to update animations, collisions and render it. And I'm not speaking about how you plan to rule out possible complications with Laras firing at each other!

The flipeffect thread is somewhat obsolete, EFFECTS.TXT from the leak perfectly describes the purpose of them all.

Considering TRNG vs. (anything else being developed) - well, TRNG really has a long history, and mostly it derives many features from vanilla TR4 engine - like script syntax, trigger and item manipulation, etc. That's the thing which limits it. But saying that your mods soon will make it obsolete is at least disrespectful to people who put a lot of effort into it. First do, then say.

Surely, building a mod upon Lua/Squirrel etc. gives you much more possibilities, as it was demonstrated by Lua-based T4Mod. The thing is, you are limited by the engine itself in the end. There are many things and limits in the engine which are abundant and absurd by today's standards, and you should also consider it, and make a decision does it worth a try at all. I decided it does not.

And, about working alone. There are lots of people who can help you out there, because many things were already researched, discovered and documented (as with this example with flipeffects). Many people also have programming skills and can contribute to the code. Working together is just better because your chance to invent a wheel once again is much less.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote