Old 31-01-10, 00:10   #1
Reggie

Default "It's OK to insult the Cornish..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
It's OK to insult the Cornish because they don't exist, rules watchdog

By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 12:56 AM on 30th January 2010
Being called a straw-sucking, inbred wurzel because of where you come from should give you fair cause for complaint.
But not if you're Cornish it seems. For, according to quango chiefs, the Cornish don't exist as a people and so can't be discriminated against.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission made the ruling following a written complaint about repeated media mockery of the county.

Proud: Citizens of Cornwall, seen here celebrating St Piran's Day, were today told hat no action can be taken against people who insult them because officially the Cornish do not exist

The Kernow branch of the Celtic League cited 'racist' articles in the Times, the Guardian and the Spectator as well as pieces on BBC radio and the website of Imperial College London.
The league's Rhisiart Tal-e-bot said: 'People increasingly throw insults at the Cornish - so if they don't exist how can that happen?

'People are upset about it. We feel this is just the tip of the iceberg. Something needs to be done but nothing can be done because we are not seen as a national minority.'
Graeme Hicks, a Cornwall County Councillor, said he had found 15,400 separate entries on the internet about inbreeding in the county.
'If you said something like this about Pakistanis or travellers you would be taken to court,' he added.
Wild West, a BBC sitcom starring Dawn French and Catherine Tate, also drew anger.
One viewer complained: 'I felt ashamed that the BBC could blatantly depict the Cornish as inbred fools, thieves with limited exposure and brain power.'
A campaigner claims to have heard the Cornish described on TV as 'a bunch of p****d-off, straw-sucking, inbred wurzels'.
The Celtic League wrote to the EHRC last month, saying: 'A number of individuals have contacted our branch to complain about various comments and articles that have been written in newspapers, magazines and aired on the radio referring to the Cornish as inbred and being generally derogatory and or insulting.

Outrage: Port Isaac in Cornwall. The Celtic League had demanded action to stop media groups referring to the Cornish as 'inbred'

'This refers to comments made by individuals, as well as from sources on the internet, but a surprising number also come from supposedly wellrespected sources. We would therefore like your help and support in asking you for a comment in response to this letter that we can use in future, condemning racist and prejudiced comments toward the Cornish.'
But Qaiser Razzak of the EHRC wrote back: 'Case law has not established the Cornish as a "racial group", for the purposes of the Race Relations Act, so currently, it is not clear whether any claim of racial discrimination against Cornish people would be successful.'
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...watchdog.html#

My opinion:
I find it fascinating that the Daily Mail is the one which picked up on this issue but kudos to them. I think the key point however with the Cornish is not just trying to get certain rights but for everyone to take some responsibility in trying to foster a better understanding with Cornish people. Clearly with how attitudes are, its no wonder Cornish people are so keen to highlight how distinct they are - the non-Cornish appear to perpetuate that for the large part.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:18   #2
Encore

They just need to focus on changing that law, is all. I don't think it's been said that it's "OK", just that there's a hole in the law.
I hope they manage to change it because it's a huge hypocrisy when everyone is so scared of insulting muslims and other "more notable" minorities but no one is bothered by this.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:19   #3
Mad Tony

There's no such thing as "the Cornish people". Being "Cornish" isn't like being Scottish or English.

Needless to say insulting people based on the place which they come from is pretty stupid.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:20   #4
Surohicko
Inactive

You Cornish twats

Only kidding
Surohicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:20   #5
patriots88888

I thought this was going to be about game hens. Silly, I know but it was the first thing I thought about when I read the title.

People are people and no one should be insulting anyone regardless of what they refer to themselves as or where they reside. Don't know much about their history besides what has been posted, but why would anyone want to insult them to begin with?
patriots88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:24   #6
Reggie

Could I just ask (on seeing Surohiko's comment) that we keep it sensible and civil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
There's no such thing as "the Cornish people". Being "Cornish" isn't like being Scottish or English.

Needless to say insulting people based on the place which they come from is pretty stupid.
I politely ask, why though? Everyones all to keen to point out how different the Cornish are from the rest of England but when it comes to asking for recognition as such? No way. And besides, that little fact box on there says enough for me to believe there's a valid case to be made there. However my issue is not necessary with the need for rights but the fact rights are even an issue in the first place - which means that I kind of agree with you, its the insults and prejudice which need to change first...rights are nothing without people's minds evolving along with them and regardless of how distinct or different Cornish culture might be, it should be seen in a more open minded way than it is now is perhaps what the real issue is at hand (as I see it).

Last edited by Reggie; 31-01-10 at 00:29.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:28   #7
Encore

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots88888 View Post
Don't know much about their history besides what has been posted, but why would anyone want to insult them to begin with?
For the same reason people joke about and stereotype any minority I supose.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:32   #8
Mad Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I politely ask, why though? Everyones all to keen to point out how different the Cornish are from the rest of England but when it comes to asking for recognition as such? No way.
Cornwall is just a county. Also, the only major difference between Cornwall and every other county is that there are many people there who for some irrational reason think they should be their own country.
Mad Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:36   #9
patriots88888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
For the same reason people joke about and stereotype any minority I supose.
Yea, I guess. From what I read they appear to have a pretty history and tradition. Maybe it's jealousy.
patriots88888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-10, 00:38   #10
Tomb-Dude

Wow i feel insulted... I'm cornish but wasn't brought up there but still stick up for cornish.

Even though I do insult them
Tomb-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote