Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 09-02-18, 08:32   #11
annl

Yeah, you should try it! I can’t do it myself sadly as PixStr throws out constant errors on my pc.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 19:08   #12
adamtombraider

No idea if its true but I have heard that TR3 can be played with TR2 sound effects for the pistols and other things.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 00:41   #13
sackboy123

Yup. TR2 and TR3 can have different sounds because of the Main.SFX being a separate file

sadly it can't be done for the others as the sound files are inside the Level files themselves and no one has created a tool to extract them yet. That would be a massive step into the modding community. Same with changing the Vertex limit to use the more detailed TRLE outfits in TR4
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-18, 15:43   #14
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
Yeah replacing audio is quite fun. I did the same thing in my TR4 mod of adding TR2/3 Lara which also added tracks from TR2/3.

Shame TR5 can't be modded through data files yet though. Still hoping a compatible tool gets made one day
Not sure if you are specifically talking about modding audio on TR5 or just modding TR5 in general.

TR5 has the biggest data files out of all of the TR1 to TR5 classic TR games. This results in very little room for modification.

I have experimented with TR5 many times, and put up a few youtube videos in the past (now long gone) and i can say that once you attempt any modding to a data file it will crash with very little modification.

Because I only show videos, I had to do a small mod to a data file to prevent crashing, and do the next mod to another identical data file, so could end up using say six versions of the same data file on the video, to get all the mods in without crashing. The viewers see the video as the one level full of modifications, as I can get away using all these data files, and they do not need know I used that method, he he.

Some levels are just impossible to mod and will crash or give the dreaded black or blue screen and jamb up.

For example in Dark Island (spooky Island level with young Lara), it is possible to do some modification to the first two levels, but is impossible without crashing in the third level (the one with the Windmill and underwater witch), as its data file is just about full.

Conclusion: TR5 modification to data files is either difficult, or impossible depending on level, all due to the big data files of TR5

Last edited by The Great Chi; 11-02-18 at 15:51.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 00:29   #15
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

To this day I still have never managed to play TRC. But wow. Just wow, wow, wow, wow, wow is that level beautiful. I may just have to figure out a way.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 02:06   #16
sackboy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Not sure if you are specifically talking about modding audio on TR5 or just modding TR5 in general.

TR5 has the biggest data files out of all of the TR1 to TR5 classic TR games. This results in very little room for modification.

I have experimented with TR5 many times, and put up a few youtube videos in the past (now long gone) and i can say that once you attempt any modding to a data file it will crash with very little modification.

Because I only show videos, I had to do a small mod to a data file to prevent crashing, and do the next mod to another identical data file, so could end up using say six versions of the same data file on the video, to get all the mods in without crashing. The viewers see the video as the one level full of modifications, as I can get away using all these data files, and they do not need know I used that method, he he.

Some levels are just impossible to mod and will crash or give the dreaded black or blue screen and jamb up.

For example in Dark Island (spooky Island level with young Lara), it is possible to do some modification to the first two levels, but is impossible without crashing in the third level (the one with the Windmill and underwater witch), as its data file is just about full.

Conclusion: TR5 modification to data files is either difficult, or impossible depending on level, all due to the big data files of TR5
That's what we thought but then me and a few others decided to experiment this and it turns out it wasn't the file size that was the problem due to some TR4 custom levels having a large file size and still 100% playable.

The ones that end up corrupting the level are triggers that are exclusive to TR5 like the bird puzzle being an example or the cog puzzle in the 2nd level. It's only this specific triggers that stop working while everything else still works.
Old 12-02-18, 12:31   #17
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Ah, so it is the triggers, as I wondered why some levels like level 3 (windmilll level) of Spooky Island, just will not take any modification at all without crashing. Anyway of taking these triggers out? It is usually easier to put triggers in, ha ha.

Other levels do allow some modding but very limited.

TR5 is just so difficult

Last edited by The Great Chi; 12-02-18 at 13:53.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 13:57   #18
sackboy123

Yeah we need a better tool which allows us to mod a lot easier without it messing the whole level up. It might be possible but I don't think anyone who codes has ever tried to make a better alternative to Fexmerger or TRviever