Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 02-07-18, 18:51   #1
Samz

Default Anyone else feel Zip and Alister were underutilised in Underworld?

I know its a common Complaint (that I Agree with) that in Legend these two simply talked too much, but I feel Underworld drasticly cut their time way too down. Alister is barely in it and Zip isn't too ahead, I feel like we should have seen more of Lara researching where to go next in the mansion while talking to Alister and Zip about it, or give the headset, but only for handful of levels and tone down on the chatter instead of removing it entirely, I honestly sometimes forget they were even in Underworld.

Last edited by Samz; 02-07-18 at 18:54.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 19:32   #2
Pennywisebill

I think the same, they are just in the cutscenes but in beneath the ashes dlc, zip talk to lara almost everywhere
Pennywisebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 21:19   #3
HarleyCroft

I don't think I've ever seen a 'more Zip and Alister' thread before haha
The impact of Alister's death was a little weak because he was barely in the game up until then Still a great cutscene though
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 23:57   #4
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a 'more Zip and Alister' thread before haha
It is a first for me too.

I never had a big issue with them in Legend, because I did find they conversations with Lara quite amusing and they had personalities. I did appreciate them being cut down though, because I like Lara more as a solitary adventuress who is left to her own devices, rather than being spoonfed outside help.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 00:17   #5
SunDormant

Funny how I was one of those fans who complained about their annoying chatter in Legend back then, but ended up missing them in Underworld. I guess I had already accepted the idea of them being around
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 09:26   #6
Maverin

Yes.

They brought some humour in Legend. Especially since Lara tended to silence them with sarcastic remarks I guess most fans are all about being alone to get an optimal atmosphere though. I suppose having them chatter has both pros and cons but underworld felt a little 'off' since it is supposed to be a sequel and suddenly she kind of ditched her companions..
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 12:15   #7
Dennis's Mom

I hated the chatter during levels in Legend, but I loved the idea of Lara having a team, and it was a great way to move the story along. My personal wish was for Amanda to join Lara's team after Legend, with Alistair having a huge crush on her (she does know her legends!) and then being there being this friend/foe tension as they in future games.

In wouldn't say they were underutilized in TRU, but Alistair's death was cheap. At least they gave Zip a shirt.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 13:49   #8
thabani33

They should have made the headset chatter optional by having the player press a button at any time if he/she wants to initiate a chat between Lara and team instead of doing away with it altogether. Cartoon Prince of Persia (2008) game had this feature where you can either continue with your mission uninterrupted or you can stop and chat with your companion at any time if you want.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 14:27   #9
Dennis's Mom

But Zip and Alistair were never companions. Lara was alone. I thought the constant headset chatter destroyed the atmosphere of isolation that gave TR levels atmosphere. I didn't mind the chatter during cut scenes.
Dennis's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 16:14   #10
Chamayoo

I think they were indeed underutilized. I do not think they should do like Legend with the headset (though I liked it in TRL) as the game is more about isolation. TRU should have more cutscenes and dialogues with Zip and Alister and some cutscenes in Croft Manor between levels could help a lot. However Alister and Croft Manor were dead too soon to really permit that.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote