Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 18-07-18, 16:55   #61
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
I personally find that deflecting any criticism by throwing labels around and/or saying men aren't allowed to have an opinion is way more toxic and sexist than claiming that the new design looks boyish compared to the original, which it certainly does.
Most criticism of the art style/redesign gets met with "Reeee! Disgusting men want to sexualize our cartoons!!", although it has nothing to do with the problems a lot of people have with it AND it's not just guys who are disappointed.

Spot on.
It’s not deflecting of any criticism. It’s a common insult use to defemanize women that don’t have common features shown throughout our entire life or on television, magazines, movies, etc. a victim of this toxicity was Alicia Vikander when it was announced she’d play Lara. The majority of the movie reviews from what I recall were complaining about why Lara “looks like a boy” literally. The comments section of any YouTube video or post would be swarmed with people shaming Lara and Alicia for having a fit body and small chest. That’s what this new She-Ra looks like. A fit female with a toned figure. Saying she “looks like a boy” isn’t criticism it’s flat out sexist. 🤷🏾*♀️
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 17:09   #62
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
It’s not deflecting of any criticism. It’s a common insult use to defemanize women that don’t have common features shown throughout our entire life or on television, magazines, movies, etc. a victim of this toxicity was Alicia Vikander when it was announced she’d play Lara. The majority of the movie reviews from what I recall were complaining about why Lara “looks like a boy” literally. The comments section of any YouTube video or post would be swarmed with people shaming Lara and Alicia for having a fit body and small chest. That’s what this new She-Ra looks like. A fit female with a toned figure. Saying she “looks like a boy” isn’t criticism it’s flat out sexist. ����*♀️
You're comparing an actual real woman to a cartoon character. There's nothing sexist about saying a stylized drawing of what's supposed to be a female looks like a boy. She resembles Ben 10 with long blonde hair (that isn't even attached to her head). Take the skirt away and say it's young Thor - people won't even bat an eye.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 18-07-18 at 17:20.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 17:20   #63
lance6439

Quote:
You're comparing an actual real woman to a cartoon character. There's nothing sexist about saying a stylized drawing of what's supposed to be a female looks like a boy. She resembles Ben 10 with long blonde hair (that isn't even attached to her head). Take the skirt away and say it's young Thor - people won't even bat an eye.
The same insults were fringes onto Reboot Lara. People thinking she looks like Bieber and all...

I’m just going to say that I much prefer this version of She-Ra from what I’ve seen so far (the very few releases stills) and I don’t think she looks like a boy. Just my opinion & we disagree that’s fine ����*♀️
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 17:29   #64
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
The same insults were fringes onto Reboot Lara. People thinking she looks like Bieber and all...

I’m just going to say that I much prefer this version of She-Ra from what I’ve seen so far (the very few releases stills) and I don’t think she looks like a boy. Just my opinion & we disagree that’s fine ����*♀️
Actually, my problem is with the art style in general, it looks quite sloppy and cheap to me. Too much of a departure from the 80s series.

The original might not be the epitome of great animation, but it was unapologetically campy and fabulous.

I don't get any similar vibes from what I've seen of the reboot so far. Feels rather sterile.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 18-07-18 at 20:42.
Old 18-07-18, 18:01   #65
Yeauxleaux

I think there's a difference between a woman who simply doesn't have exaggerated sex characteristics, but who is still unambiguously female (like Alicia, and I agree people were stupid for shaming her, Ariana Grande would be another example and she's beautiful) and then a cartoon character who is literally drawn with a long list of features which are typical on males and atypical on females.

She has a receding hairline, broad ass shoulders, no hips, a totally flat chest and a strong jaw. We know those features are typical on men, while it is very atypical for women to have all of those in combination. It is what it is, that is why so many people are reading her as "male" in this art.

Also I do kind of agree on the art style itself. I don't have anything against unrealistic stylised art, in fact I have an appreciation for some of the anime art style, but I think this style is overly simple and just looks like casual doodling to me. I don't wanna say it's "horrible" and that there's no place for it... but idk I do think this art style leaves something to be desired, personally.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 18-07-18 at 18:06.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 18:13   #66
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
You really don't?
Nostalgia?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 18:27   #67
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Also I do kind of agree on the art style itself. I don't have anything against unrealistic stylised art, in fact I have an appreciation for some of the anime art style, but I think this style is overly simple and just looks like casual doodling to me. I don't wanna say it's "horrible" and that there's no place for it... but idk I do think this art style leaves something to be desired, personally.
I don't have anything against stylization either, however the look they seem to be going for is something I would expect out of an indie web-series, not a project backed by Netflix and Dreamworks. I guess it saves money and is easier to animate, but I don't see the point in a reboot with severely downgraded art at all.
Old 18-07-18, 21:15   #68
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Nostalgia?
Partially, yes.

It is because of what Mr. Plinkett calls 'the blurring effect', because of the abundance of entertainment these days and the speed with which things come and go people don't remember modern media as much as they remember the things from the past. Therefore in order to get people's attention they make remakes, reboots, reimaginings or just slap a famous name on it, that adds a lot of financial security to the project rather than making something new that is risky and doesn't guarantee making lots of cash.

So, that's basically the reason why pretty much everything that comes out these days is a reboot, remake, reimagining or adaptation. In fact according to Mr. Plinkett between 2008 and 2010 96% of Hollywood films were exactly that.

And I don't know about you, but I find this to be an appalling impoverishment of popular culture. Or maybe I'm just getting old
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-18, 22:29   #69
redfox45

Quote:
The original might not be the epitome of great animation, but it was unapologetically campy and fabulous.
WHOHH

The name rang a faint bell but I was like "who's She-ra? I don't think I was into that"

Then I watched that intro and it lit up my dead memory like a christmas tree the second she awkwardly walked right up to the screen.
That music! I REMEMBERRR!!!

She-ra was the best!

Last edited by redfox45; 18-07-18 at 22:33.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 01:32   #70
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Partially, yes.

It is because of what Mr. Plinkett calls 'the blurring effect', because of the abundance of entertainment these days and the speed with which things come and go people don't remember modern media as much as they remember the things from the past. Therefore in order to get people's attention they make remakes, reboots, reimaginings or just slap a famous name on it, that adds a lot of financial security to the project rather than making something new that is risky and doesn't guarantee making lots of cash.

So, that's basically the reason why pretty much everything that comes out these days is a reboot, remake, reimagining or adaptation. In fact according to Mr. Plinkett between 2008 and 2010 96% of Hollywood films were exactly that.

And I don't know about you, but I find this to be an appalling impoverishment of popular culture. Or maybe I'm just getting old
Really? That many films are reboots, remakes, and reimaginings? My god what has become of our culture.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote